Hey everyone. Turns out I can play almost every Coheed and Cambria song but I have a serious problem. Turns out I cant sing while playing and im just wondering if it's because i play riffs not chords.

For example on Mother Superior and Always And Never i can play those riffs pretty damn good (props to UG users for helping me out with the tabs) but i cant sing along because i try to fit the guitar to the words, not the other way around. I can sing coheed and cambria fine (with the exception of his weird intonations on the high parts) but every time I try to play and sing shit just doesnt work.

Any tips or techniques would be pretty ****in awesome so please upload solutions or some shit. Thanks guys
i had your same problem. they got those wierd riffs but awesome vocals. practice, man. just gotta be able to be coordinated while playing and singing at the same time. this comes from practice. practice, practice, practice.
Make sure you're playing Claudio's parts, because Travis's are too much to handle with singing. He's really good at coordinating the two, so really it's just practice.
it's not because your playing riffs... if you ever listen to behemoth or dying fetus.. there sweep picking a 7 & 6 string while growling.. it's crazy.. but like said above.. practice makes perfect
Lots and lots of practice. Even tho he does seem to play mostly chords alot of the time, there are some riffs that would be hard to sing with, especially No World for Tomorrow. But its just lots of practicing.
Quote by qotsa1998
Lots and lots of practice. Even tho he does seem to play mostly chords alot of the time, there are some riffs that would be hard to sing with, especially No World for Tomorrow. But its just lots of practicing.

I was going to say...have you seen Claudio play No World For Tomorrow and sing at the same time? Jesus christ. I dunno how he does it.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
I would suggest starting on something really easy, such as A Favor House Atlantic or Welcome Home. Work your way up from there.

If you're wanting to do their softer songs, try The Light and the Glass. From there, Always and Never and Mother Superior should come a little easier.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
I've got the same problem. Riffs just fall apart when I try to sing over them. I think it's just because you're typically doing different rhythms. This is why I'm terrible at drums, haha.

Though a thing to remember is if you are comfortable with your singing technique, it'll become easier to multi-task as you won't be constantly concerned about whether or not you're singing correctly.