After our last gig, my band decided to take a break from gigs for a while to rework our setlist and get some stuff together. Since then we've only had ONE practice together with everyone! We're supposed to do practice every friday but at least one of them has found an excuse to miss almost every week. It's getting so frustrating cause we can't get anything down this way and at this rate we won't have our next gig till next year! *sigh* It gets very frustrating.

Similar experiences?
I hate my sig
"Oh sorry, I gotta go hang out with some buddies of mine."

It sucks.
B|-----------------MEEDLY
G|-----------------------------MOODLY
D|----------------------------------------------------------------------WEE
A|DUN-DUN-----------------------------------------DEEWOP
E|DUN-DUN-------------------------------DOON
Umm, sure. But you're not seeing what's actually happening.

Bands have a certain amount of momentum with them. They require regular work, including practices and gigs. If you practice and nothing gets achieved momentum slows down. If you don't have gigs for a long time, people start to wonder "what's the point?" and momentum slows down. If you don't play music together (practices/gigs) momentum slows down.

When momentum slows down, people don't want to be part of the band anymore. Time that can be made for practices gets replaced with other things, communication breaks down between the members.

So how often do my band members miss practice?

Never. Unless there is an authentic reason for not showing up, which they'll tell us at least a week in advance.

What's really happening if practice doesn't happen for a long time?

The band is breaking up. If they wanted to play, they would play.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Well they seem to have legitimate "excuses", but it's just every week "I'm grounded" or "our cars both broke down" or "Oh I'm doing some overtime at work".

And we took some time off gigging on purpose so we could get together a new setlist
I hate my sig
I don't get why people want to miss practice, isn't the main point that it's fun? get some enthusiastic ones (good luck with that).
I don't get why people want to miss practice, isn't the main point that it's fun? get some enthusiastic ones (good luck with that).[/QUOTE]
I'm gonna need it. If i knew anyone else that played I'd be all over it.
I hate my sig
never. i'm the only one who's allowed skip practice.

seriously tho - we never really have a problem with members missing practice, cause we always have a gig coming up. If you want to rejig your setlist and think you need time off, don't totally take time off from gigging - take, let's say, half the gigs you'd usually do. Then spend every second practice working on your new setlist, or working towards your gig. That way everyone'll still feel motivated. And you can always slip new songs into your old setlists, right?

That's what we do anyways
Quote by QuantumMechanix
Well they seem to have legitimate "excuses", but it's just every week "I'm grounded" or "our cars both broke down" or "Oh I'm doing some overtime at work".

And we took some time off gigging on purpose so we could get together a new setlist

Hey I'd like to say that taking time off to make a new set list doesn't make sense.

I'll assume you're a cover band. You need to know as many songs as possible. So you have your "original" set list, and then you add extra songs to the repertoire. This means that you have to learn extra songs, which means you have to play together.

As gigs come you can slowly replace the existing ones, but to erase an entire setlist is just dumb - you are destroying all the work you have done so far. No wonder the band isn't showing up.
Soundcloud
Our bassist kept missing stuff, or leaving early. Every week, we'd have practice on saturday (unless changed before hand, where PLENTY of notice was given). Almost every week, we'd all find out who was able to come, and whether or not we should or needed to change the day that week. All this stuff was planned in advance, and we asked that, if a band member HAD to bail, he give us due notice of at least 24 hours so we can find a way to work around it.

Our bassist had a knack for not showing up, and us finding out that he was in another STATE, or that he was at his house getting ready for some event, etc etc, and that he couldn't bail out of it because "he's had these plans for a while".

*facepalm*

Anyway, during the three months before a battle of the bands AND our first outside of school gig (which went very well), because they were less than a week appart, our bassist made a record of either not showing up, showing up really late, or having to leave early EVERY SATURDAY! When the gigs rolled around we approached him and told him that he's a good bassist, but we've put up with this shit since he joined, and if we were to get bigger we had to make sure EVERYONE was commited, which he clearly wasn't (besides the practicing issue, he didnt practice at home, he hated our choice of songs that werent originals, hated everything he didnt write (which wasnt much), etc). He was a good bassist, but not NEARLY good enough to make it worth putting up with all that bullshit.
"its true that we dont know what weve got untill we loose it but its also true that we dont know what weve been missing until it arrives"
Quote by 3BlindMyceZeke
This is amazing advice. You sir, Mr.LeadGuitar, are the god of the Bandleading forum.

In Rhode Island? Join!
I'm currently in a power trio of which the bassist never shows up to practice.

-_-
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
Quote by AlanHB
Hey I'd like to say that taking time off to make a new set list doesn't make sense.

I'll assume you're a cover band. You need to know as many songs as possible. So you have your "original" set list, and then you add extra songs to the repertoire. This means that you have to learn extra songs, which means you have to play together.

As gigs come you can slowly replace the existing ones, but to erase an entire setlist is just dumb - you are destroying all the work you have done so far. No wonder the band isn't showing up.

Oh we're not erasing our old setlist, were just expanding the songs we know and keeping the old songs that always go good. And it was the bassist and drummers idea to take off from gigging, not mine. They're the ones who always have problems learning songs, showing up to pratice, ect.... not me. There's just no other musicians around
I hate my sig
Quote by QuantumMechanix
Oh we're not erasing our old setlist, were just expanding the songs we know and keeping the old songs that always go good. And it was the bassist and drummers idea to take off from gigging, not mine. They're the ones who always have problems learning songs, showing up to pratice, ect.... not me. There's just no other musicians around

Is it possible that they've talked to each other and decided to quit without telling you? Learning new songs requires time together, not time apart.

Like a girl, don't pay attention to what they say, pay attention to what they do.
Soundcloud
Me, the Drummer, and the Guitarist are at every practice, but the other guitarist works a lot, so only makes to about every other practice. But he just wrote a kickass song, so it's okay.
yeah, it's been an issue for my band for the past few weeks.
for awhile we've been wanting to really get alot of songwriting done, which we're doing, but every saturday, someone's always got something going on.
we'll get a full practice once every three weeks or so.
Quote by AlanHB
Is it possible that they've talked to each other and decided to quit without telling you? Learning new songs requires time together, not time apart.

Like a girl, don't pay attention to what they say, pay attention to what they do.

I see what you mean. But I doubt they would just up and quit like that. If anyone would quit it would be me and the singer. They're just unreliable I guess. Different necessities
I hate my sig
Quote by QuantumMechanix
After our last gig, my band decided to take a break from gigs for a while to rework our setlist and get some stuff together. Since then we've only had ONE practice together with everyone! We're supposed to do practice every friday but at least one of them has found an excuse to miss almost every week. It's getting so frustrating cause we can't get anything down this way and at this rate we won't have our next gig till next year! *sigh* It gets very frustrating.

Similar experiences?

Just something I noticed. How old are your band mates? If they are over 17 or 18 Friday night is possibly the worst time to schedule a practice.

When I was younger, gigs on Fridays or Saturdays were fine because it was the same as partying to me, but there would be no way I would miss a party for band "practice".

Maybe talk to your band to find out if another day/time would work better?

Most people will use the "If you were serious, then you would make every practice irregardless of day of the week." I disagree, when I was serious in my late teens and early twenties practice with the band was four to five times a week, but never on a Friday or Saturday.
They're 18, 18, and 20. But there aren't many parties around here. Band practice is just about the only fun thing to do
I hate my sig
My band's bassist misses practice frequently. He's a whipped-ass bitch, that's why. When that happens, our singer just plays the bass, and mumbles the words while he plays. He can't sing and play at the same time very well. But whenever there's a member missing, he plays their instrument because he can play guitar, drums, and bass, although he can't do any of them like actual guitarist, drummer, or bassist can.
Like punk the way it used to be? Deranged Youth Its like what Warped Tour should be!

Want to hear something mind-blowing? Pit O' Bodies Its like an amateur hypnotist plus the Spanish Inquisition!
When my band was still active before going to college, I was always the one most likely to miss practice, but that's because the other guys were dicks and would schedule a practice out of nowhere without consulting me first.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by QuantumMechanix
I see what you mean. But I doubt they would just up and quit like that. If anyone would quit it would be me and the singer. They're just unreliable I guess. Different necessities

Ok, it’s quite obvious what is happening and it’s been said on this thread many times. Now you claim that the only two people who would quit the band are the only two people showing up for practice. Well that’s handy, because there’s no band there otherwise.

You are obviously looking for a supportive answer which is untrue but it makes you feel better.

Here is your happy ending answer:

“Yeah man. My band takes breaks all the time to work on material. When we hook back up we’re even stronger than before! So don’t worry about it man.”

Now as you don’t seem to accept the real truth, I will restate your original question, but instead of being about your “band”, it will be about a “girl you are dating”.

New question:
“Hey me and a girl have been dating for a while, and things have been really great! However we decided that some stuff in our relationship had to be sorted out so we decided to take a break for a while. But now whenever I want to catch up, she makes excuses and never shows up. What’s the deal?”

Hopefully the solution is a bit clearer now.
Soundcloud
I tried replying a few times, but my computer kept freezing up. Short answer:

I know my bandmates pretty well and I'm pretty sure they're not quitting for a multitude of reasons, and even if they did, the singer and I could start something new.

Also, I wasn't starting this thread for a pity party, more like a discussion thread. I know what's going on with my band.
I hate my sig
Quote by QuantumMechanix
They're 18, 18, and 20. But there aren't many parties around here. Band practice is just about the only fun thing to do

excuse me for a second while I AAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

how old are you? don't you realize that for the late teens/20's friday night is like open season on pussy?

yeah, band practice is fun, I love to play too, but not as much as I loved to get my dick wet. Practice on a tuesday or some shit man, and if you're "like super serious" about this band, fine, then Friday nights should be spent going to see other bands' shows and expanding your network.
Quote by GrisKy
excuse me for a second while I AAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

how old are you? don't you realize that for the late teens/20's friday night is like open season on pussy?

yeah, band practice is fun, I love to play too, but not as much as I loved to get my dick wet. Practice on a tuesday or some shit man, and if you're "like super serious" about this band, fine, then Friday nights should be spent going to see other bands' shows and expanding your network.

Hahahaha no. where I am, there are literally no girls around. Not an issue. It's literally a 15 minute drive to go to the grocery store, let alone clubs or partying anywhere. Seriously, no one does anything fun around here. and I'm 18 btw
I hate my sig
Quote by QuantumMechanix
Hahahaha no. where I am, there are literally no girls around. Not an issue. It's literally a 15 minute drive to go to the grocery store, let alone clubs or partying anywhere. Seriously, no one does anything fun around here. and I'm 18 btw

Well at least with no girls there will be no babies and there will be less threads like this.

If there was no fun to be had, where exactly are the other guys saying they are? In my experience of the country (where I assume you are), there's always house parties, and the girls are easy. I'm from a small town of 1,000 people.
Soundcloud
Our band practices on Friday nights.... mind you, we're all married with school-aged kids and such, so....

If people are serious, they will commit themselves to practice. I don't mean serious as in 'getting signed' but serious as in 'I really want to do this.'

If they are so unreliable that they commit to practices and then don't show up, they have no business being in a band, or even having friends, IMHO. That's inconsiderate, rude, and disrespectful to the other bandmates. "What the f*ck makes you think that your time is so much more important than mine, or your plans so much more urgent than mine that you can't follow through on a commitment when I've cleared my schedule for you?" Once every dog's age... yeah. But crap.... if they can't commit or can't follow through when they do commit... f*ck them.

Have some pride. Don't let them treat you like that. Rise above. You know.... unless you don't have anything better to do than to stand around and wait by the phone and hope they call, when they were supposed to be there an hour ago.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
My band practices when we can. It isn't so much that we don't want to, or are looking for excuses not to. But for the last half a year we have had mostly non stop gigs with a weekend off here and there.

We love what we do but we need to take a breather here and there.

We have a wedding this saturday and we plan to practice friday to make sure stuff is down for it since we had the last weekend off.

Idk I guess it just comes down to making it work... we do it when we can, and we love to do it when we do. If we aren't practicing I am ALWAYS practicing guitar so it still helps with them working on stuff outside of practice.

I also am working on speed mechanics by T - dawg - Stetina and I am applying it to the songs we play to make them cleaner/correct issues that I never fixed when I first started guitar. So if we practiced alot I would feel rushed to get those songs back down the right way since I would probably have to work slow them speed it up to normal tempo, and it would be a waste anyways since I wouldn't actually fix anything by forcing myself to play it right so fast... So sometimes not practicing as a band can help the band.
Last edited by ehlert99 at Nov 10, 2009,
Quote by AlanHB
If there was no fun to be had, where exactly are the other guys saying they are? In my experience of the country (where I assume you are), there's always house parties, and the girls are easy. I'm from a small town of 1,000 people.

that or a big gay pile

sorry OP, couldn't resist.

ehlert: Stetina's book/dvd=solid gold! great choice. check out his segment on mark tremonti's dvd (the sound and the story... or some shit like that). it's short, but also really great.

off topic: CT, don't you run a studio? if so, I'd like to PM with a couple questions sometime if that's cool.
Quote by GrisKy

off topic: CT, don't you run a studio? if so, I'd like to PM with a couple questions sometime if that's cool.

A home studio, yes. www.greenroomrecording.ca . Fire away.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by AlanHB
Well at least with no girls there will be no babies and there will be less threads like this.

I don't understand why you're being so hostile.... But like I said before, they never say they made other plans, they make excuses like: Car broke down, they're grounded (even tho he's 18 ), or last minute overtime at work. Not house parties or picking up girls. It was everyone's idea to practice Friday nights, not just mine
I hate my sig
I'm not in the band anymore (for this reason but at least one of my bandmates would bail every week. I got sick of it, gave them a piece of my mind and quit.

I lost a couple of friends sadly

Moral of this story: Don't let testosterone take over on the internet.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
i took a year off from uni to stay and get shit done wiht my band, went threw a huge ordeal to make it all work, we didnt play once after we all agreed we would do this.
except me, nobody,

college + work has me busy from 7am to 6 pm,
after that a jam gets very hairy, with me edgy about work,

I practice a lot at home and the moment i get to jam i catch up mostly,
my band mates are considerate enough to tab out or do a guitar pro on riffs.
If i feel anything to be changed i tab it out back to them,
one of the members is my neighbour so she updates me on whatever happened plus we are available on call through the day,

of course before every gig, I work extra hard and actually show up for jams,
(those days are the worst, you're too tired to even have sex, but the chicks who show up for the gigs make up for the no pussy diet)

lovely to have a band with close friends you really connect with,
I would die in an ultra professional environment
If you want to get laid, go to college,
If you want education go to a library

-Frank Zappa-
I don't get why all of you are under the impression that if you have band practice on a friday night, that you cant go out?

If we practice on a Firday night, we start as soon as possible (usually like 5.30/6.00) and then fininsh up around 8.30 (we have to start finishing up then anyway because we practice in a housing estate with young children. So pretty much we are all packed up and home by 9pm. You could easily shower an make it to a party before 10. And no one arrives at a part till 10 o clock anyway, so i dunno why you would be rushing to get there
This happens all the time, which pisses me off quite a bit. Especially because I've always put the band first.

However, if the reason is important enough, I'll let it slide. But when someone's over possessive and annoying as shit girlfriend decides to make plans with our second guitarist after we've already planned band practice, that's what annoys me.