And now I want to switch to fretless. I have a budget of about 350 USD. I was thinking that if I got a Squier VM, that would be good, but do they make a five string version? I haven't been able to find one.

Any other suggestions are welcome, the Squier was just the first thing that popped in my head.
For that price I don't think you'll find any 5-string fretless, but the Squier VM will be well worth your money for that range.
what about the Squier deluxe jazz? LIke Spaz has got:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1174187
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Fretless 5 string? I have seen some Ibanez 5 ers (Fretless) go used for around that budget. My local shop had at the Gary Willis Signature for for 325.00 USD used recently.
Quote by edgeyyz
It's fretted.

is it? sorry I thought it wasn't...

I'll leave now
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by gilly_90
is it? sorry I thought it wasn't...

I'll leave now

Haha, it's fine.
And to add to what I said earlier TS, if you're set on a 5-string fretless, check used (like anarkee said), but I couldn't give you any specific brands or models to check out.
You might be able to find a used Fender MIM fretless Jazz 5 string for that price
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
Fender Jazz V
Yahama Pacifica 112
Acoustic B200h
2 custom 1x15 cabs
Vox AD30VT
too many pedals
you can usually find some used fender MIM fretless for well under that.
Fender '51 Precision Bass
Hofner Verythin LTD Edition Guitar in Walnut w/ Bigsby
Engelhardt ES9 Upright Bass
1968 Trayner YBA 1A MK II Amp
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
The Squier VM is fantastic for a low-cost fretless. Other then that, look used, or look at a Brice. Personally, I don't think you could do better then a used 5 string fretless Ibanez or MIM Fender.

If you want to simply defret a 5 string, its really not that hard at all.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Spaz91
Not anymore it isnt

Really, how long ago did you defret it? I didn't even think about yours specifically when I said it was fretted, I just knew they regularly came fretted.
Quote by Tostitos
The Squier VM is fantastic for a low-cost fretless. Other then that, look used, or look at a Brice. Personally, I don't think you could do better then a used 5 string fretless Ibanez or MIM Fender.

If you want to simply defret a 5 string, its really not that hard at all.

I would attempt this, but I'm a little nervous doing that without someone next to me who knows what they're doing.

That Brice looked pretty nice, how good is Brice in general?
Some people love the instruments from Rondo, but the low prices on the seemingly high quality basses always put me on edge. Can't be sure that at that price the wood, hardware and quality control are really going to be top notch.

For the defretting job, if you do want to attempt it, the internet tutorials out there are really quite good, my friend and I took our basses (now successfully defretted) to a shop to get pointers from the guy who does all the repairs and mods there. If you want help on this subject, you can always PM me for tips on it, and there's a host of other UG'ers here with experience at this.

Your best bet otherwise is going to be used
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
I think that with Rondo the wood is quite good, but the electronics are poor.

I don't know what defretting's like, but a lot of people do it. A search of GB & A would yield a lot of results. I think someone on here posted a guide, even.
Get one, its all good for learning, and then get simandl's Double bass book, I use it for Double bass but i know Tam and probably others use it for helping their fretless playing, and it is a great book, but a tad tedious.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I defretted my old bass no problem. I'm terrible with my hands and it was pretty easy.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
OK. Well, I'll see about the defretting idea. How much of a difference does it make if my fretboard is made of ebanol?
It's a personal preference really. I know people that just don't like it, they say it can't compare with traditional fretboard woods. Personally, I think its fine, and have played several great basses with ebanol, a great example is the Curbow series by Cort. It's meant to be bright sounding like ebony, it polishes to a shiny, glossy finish, and as far as I know, wears slower since it's synthetic. If you like man-made materials when it comes to basses, its great.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
No, as in does it change the defretting process, make it harder or easier? The bass I have is a Cort Curbow 5, by the way.
Oh, I have no experience with that. I've never seen an instance of an ebanol board being defretted. I would think it wouldn't be that different when it came to taking the frets out, if anything, fret removal would be easier/cleaner as I don't think the ebanol would chip as easily.

However, the problem your going to run into is filling in the fret slots. I'm not sure how well wood filler would take to the ebanol, if it does at all. I would think that gluing in veneers would be the safer route to take if you were to defret your Curbow, but again, I'm not sure exactly how well it would turn out.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
So, I'll probably talk to a luthier if I decide on that route. Thanks.
Ask the guys in GB&C, they might be able to answer the ebanol question
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
The Rondo instruments are trustworthy. The prices tend to make people uneasy, but I've had nothing but good experiences with them. My Brice came in perfect condition, and none of my friends have ever had any problems with them.

Maybe the cheap SXs have QC issues, but the Brice basses are great for the money.
GB&C is the guitar building and customization forum. They know more then anyone on this site about all things related to guitar building and modding, wood/materials, electronics, hardware, etc...
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by CurbstompBass
The Rondo instruments are trustworthy. The prices tend to make people uneasy, but I've had nothing but good experiences with them. My Brice came in perfect condition, and none of my friends have ever had any problems with them.

Maybe the cheap SXs have QC issues, but the Brice basses are great for the money.

I'm kind of on a 50/50 on this or the defretting, it's gonna take some time to think it out.