Ok,

I'm thinking of throwing in some new pups on my Vintage VS6, along with some other more materialistic mods. Anyway, i've been looking around at Duncan's, EMG's, DiMarzio's etc but I just found out about IronGear. Are these actually any good? because, i'm thinking, at £30 a pop i'm fine for spending money on these before a new amp. But, can they seriously be any good, i'm highly doubting it. Any users out there who can fill me in?
Have some faith my friend. IronGear are actually quite respectable in the pickup department. They're really good for the price.

What amp are you using? That will determine whether a pickup swap will even help.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
I actually have an irongear HotSlag in one of my guitars
i enjoy playing with my hot slag
(inuendo over)
theyre good pickups for the price
they're made in Cumbria I believe
and last i checked it was actually £25 ish :P
either way, they're awesome for the price
and if your VS6 is similar to mine (age wise) it'll have Wilkinson pickups which are actually pretty decent, not sure how they compare as the guitar i have my irongear pickup in is maple

think i spelled it alright, pretty drunk but nonetheless i know
The term "good for the price" always made me question whether or not they were a good alternative. Not many people simply want to say that they are simply good on their own. A bit worrying tbh.
Quote by grimms
All I know is that if UG were a prison, all of us will either be dead, a prison bitch, or a dead prison bitch.

Quote by ILuvPillows?
The term "good for the price" always made me question whether or not they were a good alternative. Not many people simply want to say that they are simply good on their own. A bit worrying tbh.

pickup quality - price is an exponential relationship.

The cost of IronGears isn't much more than high output chinese crap so they're good for the price

I wonder if anyone has compared them to SD's or something similar, i think it's the IronGear SteamHammer that looks like an Invader. Might be worth comparing the two :P
Quote by Bigsteve92
pickup quality - price is an exponential relationship.

The cost of IronGears isn't much more than high output chinese crap so they're good for the price

I wonder if anyone has compared them to SD's or something similar, i think it's the IronGear SteamHammer that looks like an Invader. Might be worth comparing the two :P

Yes but in most cases people aren't choosing between irongear and cheap ibanez pickups on ebay. They are comparing Irongear with bigger brands like Dimarzio and SD and are willing to buy either, because of this surely the IronGear pickup should be judged by it's overall sound quality and not just it's low pricing in order to give a clearer idea of which option would suit the person best?
Quote by grimms
All I know is that if UG were a prison, all of us will either be dead, a prison bitch, or a dead prison bitch.

I choose Irongear over Seymour Duncan for my passives. I prefer the Steamhammer and Hammerhead to the SH-4. If they had a SD model designation, they'd be somewhere between the SH-5 and SH-6... so an SH-5.5.

For me, it really is more like buying a top-name pickup for £25, instead of buying a good Chinese knockoff. Also, at the end of the day, if they were shit.. I wouldn't buy them, whether £25 or not. I'd spend more to get the right pickup, like I do with EMG's.

Edit: Keith, the guy who runs Irongear and Axetec, is also a good guy. He's very helpful, and he's a no-bullshit kind of person - he's not some fat-cat, suit-wearing wideboy trying to make as much money as possible.

Edit2: Oh, and nobody's saying they aren't unique pickups, but it's easier to describe them to someone by drawing close comparisons with pickups they already know.
Last edited by -MintSauce- at Nov 8, 2009,
i have the irongear rolling mills pickups in my epiphone les paul standard and i love them. worth every penny.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Ok. So what i'm looking for is an answer to this question:

IronGears, or, JB & Jazz combo for Heavy rock to Metal.
Quote by willT08
Ok. So what i'm looking for is an answer to this question:

IronGears, or, JB & Jazz combo for Heavy rock to Metal.

Consider what Mintsauce wrote, as your answer.

Irongear are not "good for the price", they are good....full stop. They just happen to be cheaper than the big name brands.

This is because the Big Name Brands, simply rely on their "big name" to justify the price.

Phone Keith and ask him your self, or email him. Listen to the sound clips of the pickups on their website (Irongear, not Axetec).

They are VERY good pickups.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
My PC's soundcard is blown, lol, so i'll try and listen to them at school or something. I'm definitely considering them because they are just so cheap, so even if they're only a little better than the stock Wilkinson's it's not like i've blown £150. What pickup would you recommend? I'm thinking either Hot Slag or Steam Hammer.
Irongear doesn't roll out big bucks on marketing, and since Axetec is the distrubutor you'll see no money going to middle-men in the great chain either. These are the main reasons for the low price the way I see it.

In fact, I'm ordering a set of Steam Hammers in the upcoming week, and I'm fully confident that they'll satisfy and exceed my needs.
Quote by willT08
My PC's soundcard is blown, lol, so i'll try and listen to them at school or something. I'm definitely considering them because they are just so cheap, so even if they're only a little better than the stock Wilkinson's it's not like i've blown £150. What pickup would you recommend? I'm thinking either Hot Slag or Steam Hammer.

Steam Hammer

Hammer Head
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Not sure if this is classed as advertising or whatever but i happen to have a hotslag (It's zebra but has a black LP style cover on it at the moment) that I'll let you have for £20 + postage if you're interested.
Quote by willT08

i dunno why but the irongear hot slag and hammer head reminds me of the seymour duncan JB and Invader. except i think the irongears are a lot better.

Both hot slag and steam hammer are good. the steam hammer is excellent for metal. the hot slag is good for metal and many other styles of music. and the cleans are a lot better than steam hammer. so if u only play metal, get the steam hammer, if u want a versatile pickup, get the hot slag.
Guitars
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
I got some IronGear Hammerheads into my RG lately, and they've surpassed all expectation actually, definately worth the price in my experience. The Neck model, especially, pumps out some really nice tones, especially for metal, so based on the hammerhead, I'd say they're definately worth giving a try.

Along with this, I'll back up what most of teh other guys here have said.
Okay, just listened to the sound clips. What the hell kind of amp did he use for those? I dunno if it was my headphones but every dirty clip sounded really fizzy. However, the cleans sounded excellent and i'm assuming that the pickups can't be THAT fizzy in real life. Also, I much preferred the SteamHammer to the Hot Slag but then, the demo's didn't really cover any genres in depth. Can anyone vouch that the Hot Slag's are as versatile as they're described to be?
Quote by willT08
Okay, just listened to the sound clips. What the hell kind of amp did he use for those? I dunno if it was my headphones but every dirty clip sounded really fizzy. However, the cleans sounded excellent and i'm assuming that the pickups can't be THAT fizzy in real life. Also, I much preferred the SteamHammer to the Hot Slag but then, the demo's didn't really cover any genres in depth. Can anyone vouch that the Hot Slag's are as versatile as they're described to be?

They are pretty versatile. I managed to get metal, hardrock, poppunk, classic rock out of the hotslag when i used to play the guitar it's in.
Quote by Bigsteve92
They are pretty versatile. I managed to get metal, hardrock, poppunk, classic rock out of the hotslag when i used to play the guitar it's in.

So, were you pleased with the overall tone? The sound clips didn't really help me, but i'm sure that if plenty of people on here found it to be good and versatile, I can find £25 to throw one in the bridge and try it out.
These sound pretty good, and TBH it seems that you tend to pay for the name with big brand pickups rather than the quality necessarily. I'm looking into these now for my firebird - if i got the hb shaped p90's i'm guessing I wouldn't have to replace anything else. (sorry, not trying to jack this thread =-0)

These might help
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=irongear+pickups&search_type=&aq=f
Quote by willT08

i dont think he used a amp to record those. i think he just recorded directly into his pc's soundcard. yup the hot slag is versatile. think of it as a better seymour duncan jb. also did u listen to the user sound clips on their website?

http://www.irongear.co.uk/irongear_015.htm
Guitars
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Ok, i've got like a School review thing tomorrow. If my brother's goes well then he gets CoD: MW2 (dumbass), so i'm gonna ask if I can get myself a Hot Slag. Even if it's horrible (which considering I just read: "a better JB", I doubt) it didn't cost me anything, except maybe getting a tech to put it in as I can't solder. But I believe my store charges about £5-10 for that so it's no big deal.
Now that Swineshead pickups have become REDICULOUSLY priced, these are the best bet for a good pickup without breaing the bank. You won't be sorry.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
I like the HotSlag for the bridge. I also got one on the neck but since I'm a metal player, I feel that it becomes overly agressive and thin. Maybe something with less output could round up my leads.
Join the Guitarway Challenge! Practice to become a better musician and you may win some cool stuff in the proccess!!
(removed)