Okay so, I've been playing guitar for many many years and Ive finally decided to upgrade from my Line 6 Spider 3 halfstack to a nice tube half stack with really good low end. I want a versatile amp with a rich clean and a crunchy metal tone for some rhythmic playing. And yet I want a good sound for a good shred session as well. So, I think I've come down to the 6505. What I'm not sure about is if I should try for the 6505 plus or the normal one. I have only played on the normal one, but I'm extremely tempted to ask all of your guys opinions on the plus to see if it is what I should go for.

Bands that I guess I would typically wanna sound like:

All that Remains, Avenged Sevenfold, The Devil Wears Prada, Chiodos, Thrice, Dream Theatre, on and on......
www.hostwerks.com/
~dave/images/rn01.jpg
Go with the + if you want cleans.
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Quote by guitaristguy
versatile amp with a rich clean

Although the 6505 will get you the crunch and lead tones of the band you listed...if you need good cleans I wouldn't get the 6505. Maybe a XXX...
Quote by IsThereLoveInSp
Go with the + if you want cleans.

dually noted
www.hostwerks.com/
~dave/images/rn01.jpg
Quote by eyebanez333
Although the 6505 will get you the crunch and lead tones of the band you listed...if you need good cleans I wouldn't get the 6505. Maybe a XXX...

I love my XXX but frankly the cleans suck dude.
Quote by guitaristguy
dually noted

I realize that I probably worded that wrong...of course youll be able to get cleans with the normal one, but the + version has a separate EQ for the clean/rhythm channel and more preamp headroom, so the cleans sound better.
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Quote by BobDetroit

+1

Although they are slightly better than the 6505's. Either has the gain type he wants though. TS, what's your price limit and are you willing to go used?
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by BobDetroit

I tried the 3120, which is a XXX with EL34s instead of 6L6s, and the cleans were amazing. If you want cleans, toss EL34s in a Triple XXX.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
6505+ has better cleans so try that out. the 3120 seems to be very versatile and have good cleans but it wont be as aggressive as the 6505+
Quote by AxSilentxLine
I can dial in a pretty convincing A7X tone with my 6505+ and with a nice chorus up front the cleans aren't too bad either

I agree.. People say that amp has HORRIBLE cleans but with a good chorus/reverb pedal you'll do fine.. Just don't expect an AMAZING OVERWHELMING clean tone
FJA modded 6505+ = one of the best amps around. The lead channel of the 5150 and vastly improved cleans.
Quote by woodenbandman
I tried the 3120, which is a XXX with EL34s instead of 6L6s, and the cleans were amazing. If you want cleans, toss EL34s in a Triple XXX.

+1

Quote by BobDetroit

The cleans on the XXX may not be Fender/VOX chimey...but they kick the shit out of anything that will ever come out of an unmodded 6505...even with the 6L6s. I think the XXX has a decent clean channel for being a high gain amp...especially given the price you can get the heads for. Hard to beat as far as versatility goes.
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Nov 8, 2009,