Page 1 of 2
So I just saw this commercial for some cd compilation called The Edge, it was like a collection of "modern rock"(although it was more of late 90s, early 2000s nu metal and hard rock instead of like new, alternative rock bands. like POD, Korn, Disturbed, etc.) and I noticed that almost every band on it had PRS guitars...WTF!

I mean I have played a PRS and I'd have to say: considering they cost more or as much as a les paul, I don't understand the big deal about them. They only thing i found super totally amazing was the neck's are like perfect. They're like in between an Ibanez and a Gibson: thin enough to play fast but big enough to get good chord positions and easier to control(i personally find thicker necks easier to keep where my fingers are than thin necks) but i mean... come on....

They have P90s(whoa, big whoop) although most famous musicians probably use the infamous PRS custom shop and thus have different pups(although I still see a majority of guitarists who use one using P90s), some models have a weird tremelo system(it looks like some weird, super version of a wilkinson tremelo) and the paint jobs on most of them looks cool(idk, there's something about PRS paint jobs that just look like they'd last forever).

Now I know i kinda made them sound awesome, and i admit they are amazing guitars but all that should not come out to $3000+!!!! Even my guitar teacher has a PRS guitar(although he bought it directly from the company and it was only like $1000. This was also at least 4 years ago(when I first started, in 07, he had had the guitar for awhile) and even he said that compared to a Les Paul, there isn't too much of a difference and he'd never buy one from a store. Yet still I see tons of people on youtube and stuff buying them for rediculous amounts of money.

WHATS THE BIG DEAL!?
You pretty much answered your own question in your post. Comparing it to a Les Paul is stupid anyway, not everyone wants to play a Les Paul.
PRS is a high-end guitar that, back in the late 1980s and early 1990s, stole a lot of thunder from Gibson. The fit and finish are outstanding, the hardware is pretty high-end and the choice of woods is spectacular - particularly on the highest-end of the line. A lot of what you are paying for is the choice of highly figured maple for the tops, fine mahogany for the bodies and a superior grade of rosewood for the fretboards. You can still get a Brazilian rosewood fretboard from the PRS Custom Shop. You also pay a premium for the name. PRS is a very trendy guitar, just as Gibson and Fender have been over the years.

They are first-rate guitars, to be sure. They also hold their value very well. For the most part, you get what you pay for.
yea but that's the bottom of the line for them thats like the difernece from a prestiege rg and a gio rg
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
idk dude, they dont play any better than top of the line esps, or fenders...i honestly dont see what all the fuss is about
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
Simple, they're extremely versatile, very well built guitars with quite high quality components - and the fact that they pay so much attention to the setup says a lot about their attention to detail.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I'm pretty sure this thread breaks the rules?

Anyway:

The higher-end ones made in the state of Maryland in the U.S.A. (just to be as specific as possible) are expensive for a few reasons.

1. Very high quality wood. Some of the finest wood that you can get. The quality of the wood is truly supreme.

2. Handmade; Some of the world's best luthiers crafting a guitar

3. Superb Electronics. The electronics on these guitars are very good.

4. As you mentioned, the neck's are perfect. They are incredible.

I play a Custom 24 the other day and it killed my Les Paul in every way imaginable. Kills the best ESP's and Jackson's I've played by far....

It's why PRS guitars are always behind the counter at Guitar Centers.
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
Last edited by Junnage at Nov 7, 2009,
I have played so many of them and never really found one I liked enough to want to buy. They are OK a bit pricey for the better ones but I don't see what's so great about them either. OH! they look cool and have cool inlays, Maybe that's it?

John
everybody has their preferences, and their own reasons for liking different guitars. its like asking somebody why they prefer their favorite food over others. it just cant be explained. for example, in my case, i've played low-end PRS's that felt nicer to me than a lot of more expensive guitars. PRS has mastered the art of super-low action.
Quote by wlcm2themachine
Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

Quote by ChemicalFire
You sir, are a god amongst men

MY GEAR:
...apparently, i have too much. i cant list it without going over the character limit.
Quote by Forkman
You pretty much answered your own question in your post. Comparing it to a Les Paul is stupid anyway, not everyone wants to play a Les Paul.

Yes, but considering they both have P90s, they have a very similar sound
Quote by FatalGear41
PRS is a high-end guitar that, back in the late 1980s and early 1990s, stole a lot of thunder from Gibson. The fit and finish are outstanding, the hardware is pretty high-end and the choice of woods is spectacular - particularly on the highest-end of the line. A lot of what you are paying for is the choice of highly figured maple for the tops, fine mahogany for the bodies and a superior grade of rosewood for the fretboards. You can still get a Brazilian rosewood fretboard from the PRS Custom Shop. You also pay a premium for the name. PRS is a very trendy guitar, just as Gibson and Fender have been over the years.

They are first-rate guitars, to be sure. They also hold their value very well. For the most part, you get what you pay for.

I understand that, and even the cheaper PRS(like the 500-700 range) are better than gibsons and fenders but...$3000!?!?!?!?!?
Quote by Nirvana00125
Yes, but considering they both have P90s, they have a very similar sound

um no they don't?

Only a few PRS and Gibson models have P90s. Most have humbuckers.
PRS are better than les pauls in my opinion. The best thing about PRS is that you will never get a sour PRS, and with Gibson, you will get a sour Les Paul every now and then. The quality control on the PRS Customs is exactly what you would expect from a $3000 guitar, so yeah, I say its worth it.

To make the same argument, would you buy a $3000 Les Paul, or a $7000 Les Paul? Even though the two are pertty much the same, but priced different.
Quote by Nirvana00125
So I just saw this commercial for some cd compilation called The Edge, it was like a collection of "modern rock"(although it was more of late 90s, early 2000s nu metal and hard rock instead of like new, alternative rock bands. like POD, Korn, Disturbed, etc.) and I noticed that almost every band on it had PRS guitars...WTF!

I mean I have played a PRS and I'd have to say: considering they cost more or as much as a les paul, I don't understand the big deal about them. They only thing i found super totally amazing was the neck's are like perfect. They're like in between an Ibanez and a Gibson: thin enough to play fast but big enough to get good chord positions and easier to control(i personally find thicker necks easier to keep where my fingers are than thin necks) but i mean... come on....

They have P90s(whoa, big whoop) although most famous musicians probably use the infamous PRS custom shop and thus have different pups(although I still see a majority of guitarists who use one using P90s), some models have a weird tremelo system(it looks like some weird, super version of a wilkinson tremelo) and the paint jobs on most of them looks cool(idk, there's something about PRS paint jobs that just look like they'd last forever).

Now I know i kinda made them sound awesome, and i admit they are amazing guitars but all that should not come out to $3000+!!!! Even my guitar teacher has a PRS guitar(although he bought it directly from the company and it was only like $1000. This was also at least 4 years ago(when I first started, in 07, he had had the guitar for awhile) and even he said that compared to a Les Paul, there isn't too much of a difference and he'd never buy one from a store. Yet still I see tons of people on youtube and stuff buying them for rediculous amounts of money.

WHATS THE BIG DEAL!?

They cost more for two reasons. 1) Brand name 2) Quality. Have you ever watched the factory tour? None of the USA made PRS's leave the shop if they have any type of flaw that cannot be fixed. They even saw the guitar in half if they can't fix the problem. They're almost fully handmade (A lot of work goes into making them such great feeling guitars), and like someone said some of the best guitar luthiers work for them.

Most of the PRS musicians use the standards or they have their own signature with PRS. The only time that one of the artists might use custom shop, is either for certain color schemes, or anything of the sort.

Also, for the neck thing. A thinner neck doesn't allow the player to play faster, it's about comfort. PRS are known for comfort, not to mention the bird inlays which PRS is known for also adds some to the cost, along with the fact they use some of the best quality wood they can possibly buy.

EDIT:
Quote by Nirvana00125
I understand that, and even the cheaper PRS(like the 500-700 range) are better than gibsons and fenders but...$3000!?!?!?!?!?

That's just your opinion. I know plenty of people who prefer Gibson or Fender over PRS.
Last edited by FallsDownStairs at Nov 7, 2009,
Quote by FallsDownStairs
They cost more for two reasons. 1) Brand name 2) Quality. Have you ever watched the factory tour? None of the USA made PRS's leave the shop if they have any type of flaw that cannot be fixed. They even saw the guitar in half if they can't fix the problem. They're almost fully handmade (A lot of work goes into making them such great feeling guitars), and like someone said some of the best guitar luthiers work for them.

Most of the PRS musicians use the standards or they have their own signature with PRS. The only time that one of the artists might use custom shop, is either for certain color schemes, or anything of the sort.

Also, for the neck thing. A thinner neck doesn't allow the player to play faster, it's about comfort. PRS are known for comfort, not to mention the bird inlays which PRS is known for also adds some to the cost, along with the fact they use some of the best quality wood they can possibly buy.

EDIT:

That's just your opinion. I know plenty of people who prefer Gibson or Fender over PRS.

I would just like to point out that most people say thinner necks are faster to play and i personally cannot play fast on a les paul or a 7 string with a thick neck for crap but can on an ibanez.
Out of curiosity, have you even tried one of the PRS guitars?
My Gear:
Guitars:

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Boss DD-6
Quote by bi-ah!
idk dude, they dont play any better than top of the line esps, or fenders...i honestly dont see what all the fuss is about

There comes a point where you can't improve playability and it comes down to personal preference. PRS just uses very high quality components. They make every part of their guitars from the bridges to the tuners. They don't resort to other companies, so you're paying for the R&D for those parts. Those parts are not mass-produced either so there's no bulk discount like with Gibson and Fender where you're pretty much paying $10 for a set of tuners. They use very high quality wood. But they're not handmade at all. Gibson is actually more handmade than PRS.
Quote by Nirvana00125

In the end, prices are set based on the production costs and what the market will bear. As long as enough people will pay $3,000.00 and up for a PRS, they will charge that much. It is the same with any other guitar or bass. Hell, look at Alembic guitars and basses. $12,000.00 is not unusual. And there are makers out there that charge more than that. PRS realizes that its prices are high, which is why they brought out the SE series. They probably sell 100 SE guitars for every custom PRS sold.
prs guitars are similar to les pauls but without a lot of the drawbacks.

to list a few:
better upper fret access
thinner necks
more clarity (due to a less flabby/big low end)
more versitility (also due to them not being quite so bassy)
more versitility (more pickup selection options)
tremolo
lightweight (comparitively)
locking tuners (some models)

to be fair to gibson, the les paul also has some advantages over a prs. eg fatter tone, usually cheaper, the gibson name ect ect

in this price bracket, no guitar is 'better' than another but you can see that there are a lot of reasons why people choose prs over gibson.
Quote by TheFunkyAvocado
prs guitars are similar to les pauls but without a lot of the drawbacks.

to list a few:
better upper fret access
thinner necks
more clarity (due to a less flabby/big low end)
more versitility (also due to them not being quite so bassy)
more versitility (more pickup selection options)
tremolo
lightweight (comparitively)
locking tuners (some models)

to be fair to gibson, the les paul also has some advantages over a prs. eg fatter tone, usually cheaper, the gibson name ect ect

in this price bracket, no guitar is 'better' than another but you can see that there are a lot of reasons why people choose prs over gibson.

Some of your "drawbacks" are simply opinions. Some people prefer the thicker necks(me), some people like their guitars a little heavier in weight(me), some people hate having to mess with a tremolo(me), etc.
This choice is passion, this path is tension.
People like them. Nothing is overpriced if you like it. As you said the necks are excellent, and they sound pretty good. Also a Mira is only $1,600, not overpriced if you ask me.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by Phoenix322
Some of your "drawbacks" are simply opinions. Some people prefer the thicker necks(me), some people like their guitars a little heavier in weight(me), some people hate having to mess with a tremolo(me), etc.

thats right, they are opinions. sorry if i didnt make myself clear but those are reasons why people might choose a prs over a les paul. some people might find those things to be drawbacks of the prs rather than the lp (like you). as i said in my original post, there is no such thing as a better guitar.
Quote by TheFunkyAvocado
thats right, they are opinions. sorry if i didnt make myself clear but those are reasons why people might choose a prs over a les paul. some people might find those things to be drawbacks of the prs rather than the lp (like you). as i said in my original post, there is no such thing as a better guitar.

Yea, when it comes down to it, no one is going to buy a PRS if they want a Les Paul and vice versa. Same with any company. If you're spending more than $2000 on a guitar, it's probably the one you want. Most people won't stray too far away from what they want when spending that amount. Maybe you'll get a Les Paul Standard instead of a Custom, but you won't get a Les Paul Standard over a Modern Eagle, you'll get a different PRS.
Quote by Nirvana00125
I would just like to point out that most people say thinner necks are faster to play and i personally cannot play fast on a les paul or a 7 string with a thick neck for crap but can on an ibanez.

That's you then, because I can play faster on my strat than on an Ibanez. Thick necks suit my hands, feels more comfortable. Ibanezes to me just feel like there's nothing to grip and is awkward for me to play.

Quote by necrosis1193
People like them. Nothing is overpriced if you like it. As you said the necks are excellent, and they sound pretty good. Also a Mira is only $1,600, not overpriced if you ask me.

Oh the Mira... Such a lovely guitar.

PRS is just another company making a high quality instrument. They're not asking you to like them, as some people do. They are there if you do in fact want a high quality instrument.
If a lot of people are willing to pay $3000 for one, then that's what they'll sell them for. I wouldn't pay $2000 for a Les Paul, but plenty of people do, so they won't change the price just because I don't think they're worth $2000.
Mostly you are buying the name. Mostly. I think that PRS is a sh1tty guitar. Its all preference and what you want. If i want a low end guitar and want to play some sludge, i'm not going to play a PRS.

For the record, the only person who plays a PRS whose tone i like is Carlos Santana. And most of you sound comes from your amp anyway.
I am the only sane person on the planet. Does that make me crazy?

Crank the Mids
Quote by Bluesy...
Mostly you are buying the name. Mostly. I think that PRS is a sh1tty guitar. Its all preference and what you want. If i want a low end guitar and want to play some sludge, i'm not going to play a PRS.

For the record, the only person who plays a PRS whose tone i like is Carlos Santana. And most of you sound comes from your amp anyway.

What?
It's not arguable that they use the highest quality woods, use good electronics, and have good quality control. Also, only Santana???? Really? Not Al Di Meola? Not Johnny Hiland? I understand it's your opinion, but still......

Also, I'd say only 60-70% of your tone is your amp. Guitars are still a large factor.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
I played my guitar teachers custom made PRS with mahogany body and a now illegal Brazillian wood top.

Hands down the most comfortable guitar i've ever played. Maybe that's the answer?
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
Quote by SOADriff
I played my guitar teachers custom made PRS with mahogany body and a now illegal Brazillian wood top.

Hands down the most comfortable guitar i've ever played. Maybe that's the answer?

Well comfort is a personal preference thing and there's nothing that PRS offers that another company can't provide. If you want a PRS neck on a Les Paul body, you can do it. The neck dimensions aren't patented or anything. You can even replicate the body shape.

*just playing devil's advocate*
Quote by jc349
What?
It's not arguable that they use the highest quality woods, use good electronics, and have good quality control. Also, only Santana???? Really? Not Al Di Meola? Not Johnny Hiland? I understand it's your opinion, but still......

Also, I'd say only 60-70% of your tone is your amp. Guitars are still a large factor.

He was doing this earlier too - just ragging on PRS for really out-there reasons.
Quote by jc349
What?

Furthermore, paul reed smith guitars are hella expensive but they sound like crap, unless your name is carlos santana, and he uses other stuff to make it sound good

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=21595247&postcount=20

Just my $0.02 no one is making you like PRS but artists have found their guitars great for a reason and continually use them for a reason. On which note the PRS I played slayed my ESP and Caparison.
Last edited by azn_guitarist25 at Nov 8, 2009,
He´s so so right but so so wrong at the same time - it makes my brain hurt.
Whats the big deal with Ferraris and Porches?
Quote by ljohn
The thing is, in a band like chickenfoot, think of the JSX as a submarine and the Marshall as a plane. No matter how good the submarine is, it might be the perfect submarine, if you need a plane, a submarine ain't gonna do it for you.
Quote by Zapher
Whats the big deal with Ferraris and Porches?

Porches are nice for enjoying the warm weather while sipping lemonade!

They have factory made models at custom built prices. You could buy a custom made Suhr for a similar price to a custom 22/24. Gibson are the same on that IMO. For that sort of money, you should get something special. The private stock are great, but at a ridiculous price point. I've played quite a few PRS models, and my favourite was the singlecut, but even that was simply too much for what it was. Compared to their normal lines, I'd rather take a musicman at half the price.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Quote by Junnage
Out of curiosity, have you even tried one of the PRS guitars?

I stated in the beginning that I have played one before(it was a custom made one, not a random one you'd find at guitar center)
Quote by Nirvana00125
I stated in the beginning that I have played one before(it was a custom made one, not a random one you'd find at guitar center)

Which one?
My Gear:
Guitars:

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Boss DD-6
Page 1 of 2