I just basically wanna know what one is. I mean, I know it's a bridge but what is so good/bad about it?
I hear good things one second and than bad things the next.
So I'm assuming there's higher quality ones and lower ones that aren't good?
And whata re the advantages of having them?
Current Gear:
Mexican Fender Telecaster
Robert Smith custom Jazzmaster
Stratocaster
Vox AC4TV
the licensed ones generally arent too good, but the original ones are. And you cant change tunings easily, but it stays in tune pretty well
What do you mean change it easily? Is it just me or is tuning like a regular guitar with a normal bridge already easy?
Current Gear:
Stratocaster
Vox AC4TV
they are fun to use for divebombs and such, and stay in tune very well. but seeing as its balanced by both springs and string tension, you cant change tunings or use different string gauges without taking about a half hour trying to balance the tension. you take the good with the bad
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic
Quote by Zinnie
they are fun to use for divebombs and such, and stay in tune very well. but seeing as its balanced by both springs and string tension, you cant change tunings or use different string gauges without taking about a half hour trying to balance the tension. you take the good with the bad

this is what i meant about changing tunings. You need to get it set up for different tunings

this is a floyd rose bridge, it's hard to change tunings because you have to unlock the bolts at the nut and tune it a few times and adjust spring distance until the string tension balances with the spring tension on the underside of the bridge.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
thats why i like the zr bridge from ibanez just tighten the thumb screw on the back or loosen it and ur good but if u goto a lower tuneing and u have 9's and say ur going to drop c if u use 11's with a 54 or around that for the low c the tension shuld equal out or at least it dose with mine
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
Ah I see now, thanks guys.
Current Gear:
Stratocaster
Vox AC4TV
Quote by phoenix_crush
the licensed ones generally arent too good, but the original ones are. And you cant change tunings easily, but it stays in tune pretty well

Woah lets set things straight licenced =/= shit by far. You can have a good licenced such as the Ibanez Edge, Edge Pro, Lo Pro Edge as well as Schaller and Gotoh LFR. So too a certain extent you are correct but there are cases where the licenced are just as good if not better then the original.
Also remember that not all Floyd Rose bridges are set up to float. Yes the majority of them are like this, but there are people like myself who prefer them flush mounted or as I like to call it the old school way it allows for dive only but is much more stable and better tone/sustain I believe. Tuning changes are also much easier, as easy as setting up a Strat bridge for example because the a$$ of the Floyd sits on the body.

Charvel, Kramer as well as other used to set up their guitars like this back in the 80's. The current Charvel production models are set up this way as well. Here's a close up photo of one of my guitars so you can see what I'm talking about.

Also, while I do think the Original Floyd Rose bridges are the best, I'm not sure so much on the current ones. I think the older 80's OFR's were of better quality but again that's just my opinion. The Gotoh double locking trems are awesome, can't go wrong there.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst