Ok heres the drill ahaha once again another amatuer guy wants too decide on a combo amp for his guitarist needs. His range is all sorts of metal excluding the grindcore black metal etc territory, and some cleans and emo/hardcore.

Here are the choices:

Line 6 spider 75w IV
Randall RG75 G2
Marshall mg50dfx i think is the model name.

Keep in mind I am NO tone expert and im not looking for the almighty legendary tone machine, I just want a good above average amp for small gigs and jamming.

oh and sugestions for distortion/ overdrive pedals would be SICKK.

and im a douche for posting this, but i need too figure this out asap
Price range? None of those are above average and are almost all the epitome of average.
Last edited by sg4ever at Nov 7, 2009,
I'd like to wish you good luck. Two of your choices are some of the most hated amplifiers on this website. Don't take the flaming personally when it gets here. I don't really play anything in that genre of metal so I can't give you advice on these amps, but I figured I'd warn you.

Also, a pedal going into a modelling amp is generally not considered a good idea. Otherwise, what's the purpose of a modelling amp?
Quote by Brad2272
Ok heres the drill ahaha once again another amatuer guy wants too decide on a combo amp for his guitarist needs. His range is all sorts of metal excluding the grindcore black metal etc territory, and some cleans and emo/hardcore.

Here are the choices:

Line 6 spider 75w IV
Randall RG75 G2
Marshall mg50dfx i think is the model name.

Keep in mind I am NO tone expert and im not looking for the almighty legendary tone machine, I just want a good above average amp for small gigs and jamming.

oh and sugestions for distortion/ overdrive pedals would be SICKK.

and im a douche for posting this, but i need too figure this out asap

none of the above.

Vox AD30VT. nao.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
Quote by V.U.K
none of the above.

Vox AD30VT. nao.

I'd go for the newer VT50 over the older ADs because they seem to do metal better to me. Also consider the Peavey Vypyr range.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
well my price range is about 600, and 300 of it will already be paid off at the music shop im buying from, so im gonna get it from there.
I did demo all 3 amps but never got the chance too tweak it too my likings, but the spider did sound nicest but abit lacking. there was a good selection of amps there, no vox though so that is probably out of the question.

I figured id come here for a second opinion haha. also why is a pedal in a modeling amp a bad idea? i've never done it but im just curious
I sure hope that peavey 6505 combo fills this void in the land of affordable high gain combo's.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Partscaster
Bugera 6262
Jcm900 1960A
Last edited by ChuggyMcBr00tlz at Nov 8, 2009,
Quote by Brad2272
I figured id come here for a second opinion haha. also why is a pedal in a modeling amp a bad idea? i've never done it but im just curious

Besides most lower-price-range amps tending to sound like ass (and a such throwing a Boss OD-1 in front of it would just make it sound like overdriven ass), a modelling amp exists so that you shouldn't need pedals. For example, on my old Vypyr 15w, there are 11 built in effects such as an overdrive pedal (ts-9), flanger, and octaver. They sound pretty decent because they were designed to sound decent with the amp. A pedal, however, is designed to sound good on a standard amp, probably a tube one at that.

The thing about pedals is that for the most part they're meant to either go into a pristine clean channel on a quality solid-state, or to a tube amp (as most stompbox effects were created when solid-states didn't exist). Circuitry hasn't changed much over time in a fashion that would make the pedal sound better on a solid-state, so they're still being made as effects "for" tube amps.

Something that a lot of people even on this board don't realize is that Solid State and Digital are different amp categories (yes, even if Guitar Center puts them under the same heading). A solid state amp sets out to do exactly the same as a tube amp except replacing the vacuum tubes with modern circuitry components. A digital amp (which is what most if not all modelling amps are) are partial solid states with an effects processor that really tends to make for a worse sounding amplifier, except in the cases of very high quality (and as such monstrously expensive) amplifiers such as AxeFX units.
Budget is $600?

TS, for that price you could get a decent tube amp.

6505+ combo
Bugera V22 and an overdrive
B52 AT-112

If you MUST have a modelling, you could probably find a Line 6 Vetta or Flextone if you're lucky. Also look at the Line 6 Spider Valve. I think they're quite cheap right now.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
If you want a modelling amp in that price range, go for a used Line 6 Flextone.

If you want a tube amp in that price range, I'd recommend a Peavey Windsor maybe, or a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (if you can find one used and cheap enough).
Fender Lite Ash --> TC Polytune --> Digitech Whammy V --> MXR Phase 90 --> EHX Small Clone --> Strymon Orbit --> TC Flashback X4 --> Rivera R55