So My main guitar is strung with .9's and can handle pretty low tunings all the way down to B standard, but I use it for every tuning depending on the song. I JUST got some thick strings, (11-52) to better suit the lower tunings. So I was wondering, if the nut fits the .9's well, would I have to file or something to the nut to fit thicker strings, because the action on the guitar is so low it's PERFECT, i've never played a guitar with such low action and still have VERY little buzzing...So do I have to file the nut thicker so it will fit the thick strings? and if I go back to a lighter gaudge, will it effect the strings since there will be a bigger slit?

thanks guys
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
if u file the nut wen u goto lower gauge strings u will be buzzing like a mother
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
Probably not. Your .052 low "E" string should fit into the nut on your guitar without modification. If it doesn't, then you need to decide whether you are going to stick with those heavier strings, because if you open up the low "E" string slot, your old .042 low "E" string isn't going to rest properly in the slot.
Geeze, how do you tune to B standard with .9's? Loweset I can go is A# with .10's.

But I bet your guitar nut is designed for string guages up to .10 like most guitars. So you would have to do nut swap every time you change guages, since .10 wont do very well in a nut able to take .11's and above.
Depends on your guitar, but I think it would be fine to use 11-52s. My LTD MH400NT comes stock with 9-42s and 11-54s didn't require any adjustments to the nut or truss rod tuned to D standard. Measured the action and still perfect at .010"
Ibanez S7320
Peavey 5150 + Mesa 2x12 Rectifier
thanks guys, it just looks like the nut slit for my E string is like half a mm smaller then then the thick .52
I probly will stick with the thick strings once this is done, I have another guitar on backup for standard, and whatnot, it just isnt as heavy.

EDIT: also, will the action be affected? because I LOVE low low action, and I have it VERY low now and hardly buzzes at all.
ಠ_ಠ

Last edited by Tango616 at Nov 8, 2009,
It might be affected, but shouldent be hard to fix with some bridge adjustment, the only thing I might worry about is fret buzz, since the strings are larger, they may have more tension, but bigger always flops harder. No pun intended.

But Idk, never used anything over .10's since I have no need.
Quote by ethan_hanus
It might be affected, but shouldent be hard to fix with some bridge adjustment, the only thing I might worry about is fret buzz, since the strings are larger, they may have more tension, but bigger always flops harder. No pun intended.

But Idk, never used anything over .10's since I have no need.

So I may just have to make a minor adjustment to the truss rod? if so, thats not a big problem for me, the only concern I have is the action, and if i can just raise the bridge a LITTLE bit, thats also not that big a deal, Just prefer lowest action possible without each note buzzing.

Thanks for the help so far guys.
ಠ_ಠ

the whole setup will change.

the thicker strings will pull at the headstock more.

and the strings should fit in the cuts, but if you file them and take off too much, you'll buzz the at the first few frets in a way that no bridge adjustment will be able to fix.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011