So I've had my amp for almost a year and recently it has started making a horrible crackling noise at jam session volumes. So I took it to the shop and one salesperson said a guy in his band has the same amp and it makes that sound whenever the tubes need a change.

So here's my dilemma:

1. Do I buy one set of power tubes and only replace the one(s) that are dying?

2. Do I buy 4 and replace them all seeing as my tubes may be nearing the end of their life.

3. Would I be able to do it myself or should I take it to a tech?

EDIT: I just read an article and it seems like the problem is a microphonic tube. Does this mean it could be a preamp or poweramp tube? If so I guess I'll take it to a tech.
Gear:
Fender Highway One HSS Strat
Art & Lutherie Cedar Acoustic
Line6 UX2
No amp ... Help me find an amp
Last edited by mrxtreme_4 at Nov 7, 2009,
Quote by mrxtreme_4
So I've had my amp for almost a year and recently it has started making a horrible crackling noise at jam session volumes. So I took it to the shop and one salesperson said a guy in his band has the same amp and it makes that sound whenever the tubes need a change.

So here's my dilemma:

1. Do I buy one set of power tubes and only replace the one(s) that are dying?

2. Do I buy 4 and replace them all seeing as my tubes may be nearing the end of their life.

3. Would I be able to do it myself or should I take it to a tech?

EDIT: I just read an article and it seems like the problem is a microphonic tube. Does this mean it could be a preamp or poweramp tube? If so I guess I'll take it to a tech.

If its been a year you might as well replace the pre-amp AND the power tubes.

The pre-amp you can change yourself, as their is no biasing to worry about. The power amp tubes need to be biased.
Last edited by Matt420740 at Nov 7, 2009,
Alright so I checked it out and it is definitely 2 of my preamp tubes that are causing the problem. I'm probably going to buy 2 sets so I can have an extra lying around in case.

Any suggestions on preamp tubes. I'm looking at the electro-harmonix 12ax7EH because they are a reliable company.

Also, preamp tubes don't really affect tone that much do they?
Gear:
Fender Highway One HSS Strat
Art & Lutherie Cedar Acoustic
Line6 UX2
No amp ... Help me find an amp
Quote by mrxtreme_4
Alright so I checked it out and it is definitely 2 of my preamp tubes that are causing the problem. I'm probably going to buy 2 sets so I can have an extra lying around in case.

Any suggestions on preamp tubes. I'm looking at the electro-harmonix 12ax7EH because they are a reliable company.

Also, preamp tubes don't really affect tone that much do they?

Preamp tubes effect tone alot more than power tubes do.
You're also going to want to buy a different brand of preamp tube for each slot that you have (reason being is that different tubes suit different slots better). I believe there could be a classic 30 thread on the GG&A forums that you can search for good preamp tube combinations on.
For the poweramp tubes you can go for all of the same brand however.

Also try to stay away from EHX, and Mesa tubes as they are overpriced. Order online if you can: www.dougstubes.com, or www.thetubestore.com

EDIT: peruse through this thread, you're bound to find someone that's found a good combo https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=753992
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Last edited by Faux~Affliction at Nov 8, 2009,
i have a classic 30 and i buy my tubes at eurotubes.com
and you dont have to do any biasing or anything for ur amp. The classic 30 is a fix biased amp.
DO NOT TAKE IT TO A TECH!!!!!
they will over charge you.
Eurotubes sells the tubes in a complete set.
you just plug them right in and play.
if you can change a light bulb, you can re-tube your peavey.
they have many options. You can buy a whole retube kit for 68 bucks.
and they are JJ tubes, which are awesome.
Eurotubes.com, just look around the site.