I found this one and I've never seen an HSS RG550 before. Claimed to be 1987. Also, RG550's have Maple necks don't they?

Anyone have any info on this? Thanks.

The last 2 digits of the serial number are sposed to represent the year it was made. At least that's what a very knowledgeable guitar sale/repairman told me when I bought my Fender Stagemaster.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
The last 2 digits of the serial number are sposed to represent the year it was made. At least that's what a very knowledgeable guitar sale/repairman told me when I bought my Fender Stagemaster.

If thats the case then my Schecter was built in 1925, and my Ibanez is from 1944. LOL

All manufactures are different with their #'s
Quote by JELIFISH19
It's not an RG550, it's like an RG565 or something

RG565's are H/S, RG560's are H/S/S but without a pickguard. It might be a 550 with a new pickguard but honestly I'm not too sure myself and there's no way of verifying it unfortunately.
It very well could be a 550, if the routing under the pickguard is big enough for a humbucker then someone like just wanted a hss and wired up a different pickguard. The best way to tell if it is a genuine 550(on the older ones anyway) is to take off the neck and look in the neck pocket or the base of the neck...it will be printed on there....like on these images

Quote by azn_guitarist25
It might be a 550 with a new pickguard

I think you hit the nail on the head with that one. Look at the height adjustment screws for the 2 single coils. They are larger and shinier than the rest of the screws. Ibanez isn't going to use a different size and different color screw.

Looks like someone replaced the pickguard with a s-s-h and put in some single coils.
The single coil screws on my RG are different from the humbucker screws on my RG. But it's probably just a different pickguard. Another thing is that I've never seen that finish before. It looks a lot like Poisoned Pumpkin which is new.
^Yeah, its the Original Edge. Its an 87 too, the F7 at the start of the serial number means Fujigen (Japanese as all 550s are) and the 7 means '87. The neck is maple, they come with maple or rosewood fretboards. The pickguard could have been changed to HSS. Check the neck pocket to be sure, but I'm certain its a genuine Ibanez.
As Phil said, the serial number is on the money for a guitar made in 1987. As for the model, pull the neck and have a look. 550's were available with a rosewood fretboard (as is evidenced by Ibanez's reissuing the 550 with rosewood) so that isn't really an issue. Looks to me like someone in the past 22 years has swapped pick guards so they could have an H-S-S setup. That's nothing that couldn't be easily reversed.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
that's an 87 neck. F=(ibanez main factory), 7=1987. i have an 87. the rosewood finger board only came on the black body. 4 colors: black, white, yellow and bright orange or red.

correction: those above where from the us market. might be from another country.
Last edited by vanhampster at Nov 11, 2009,