Okay, so anyways. I've decided to do some modding to my Yamaha Pacifica, its an older model, a 112M and at the moment it plays fairly well. But I've decided a better tremolo would be nice, and a new nut, I got it used and the nut is a cheap POS one. Not even the original as far as I can tell. And its got a hella lot of cardboard behind it, giving the guitar a little too high of an action.

Anyways, I've got a tremolo and some saddles on order from GFS. and I'm gonna get a Graphtech nut, but I need some help. Anyways, is there a difference between the black and white Tusq stuff they use? I'm doubting there is, as the prices are about the same. Also, if I can't find the right size and end up ordering a block of nut material from them, will it be likely to cost much for a music store to cut the nut to fit?

Anyways, I'm gonna do this all and see how I like it, if I feel its worth it, I'll probably upgrade the two single coils and maybe coil tap the humbucker (which is a Seymour Duncun rails of sometype, its okay, a little too high of an output for me though), or put a few onboard effects or such inside. As I have a few interesting ideas for onboard EQ systems >_> And ofcourse it'll get new tuners also, ATM the ones on it are 6:1 ratios 0_0;

Also I'll refinish it eventually, if the grain is really nice I'll stain it, if not Its gonna be some type of light blue. Possibly with some designs as theres a lot of open space. Also, anybody know of a place I can order pickguards? In the picture it looks white but IRL the pickguard is some cream POS. I hate cream... I've looked around and found nothing for Yamaha pickguards

-Start-

-Kisakae mockup of my finished product-

Edit: DAMNIT. I suck at sizing pics.
Last edited by AngryNoiseDude at Nov 8, 2009,
WD will cut a custom guard for you; I'd go with them for plastic.

I had Sharp Concepts cut a diamond plate metal guard for my Squier; if you want metal, I'd go with them. They did Dexter's diamond plate-clad Ibanezes.
>_>

Whats WD? I'm not familar with that acronym. Also I don't think I'll go with metal. I'm undecided at the moment, I just don't want freaking cream.
Quote by AngryNoiseDude
http://www.majhost.com/gallery/akua2/Music/dsc00068.jpeg

Okay, so anyways. I've decided to do some modding to my Yamaha Pacifica, its an older model, a 112M and at the moment it plays fairly well. But I've decided a better tremolo would be nice, and a new nut, I got it used and the nut is a cheap POS one. Not even the original as far as I can tell. And its got a hella lot of cardboard behind it, giving the guitar a little too high of an action.

Anyways, I've got a tremolo and some saddles on order from GFS. and I'm gonna get a Graphtech nut, but I need some help. Anyways, is there a difference between the black and white Tusq stuff they use? I'm doubting there is, as the prices are about the same. Also, if I can't find the right size and end up ordering a block of nut material from them, will it be likely to cost much for a music store to cut the nut to fit?

Anyways, I'm gonna do this all and see how I like it, if I feel its worth it, I'll probably upgrade the two single coils and maybe coil tap the humbucker (which is a Seymour Duncun rails of sometype, its okay, a little too high of an output for me though), or put a few onboard effects or such inside. As I have a few interesting ideas for onboard EQ systems >_> And ofcourse it'll get new tuners also, ATM the ones on it are 6:1 ratios 0_0;

Also I'll refinish it eventually, if the grain is really nice I'll stain it, if not Its gonna be some type of light blue. Possibly with some designs as theres a lot of open space. Also, anybody know of a place I can order pickguards? In the picture it looks white but IRL the pickguard is some cream POS. I hate cream... I've looked around and found nothing for Yamaha pickguards

What part of the world are you in dude? If you are in teh UK area, see my sig.

Try and get some nice 14 or 18:1 tuners if you can. 6:1? Christ!

Looking forward to some pics.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
I'm not in the UK unfortunately, so I'll be paying full price for parts. And yes the tuners aren't original, IIRC the originals should've been 10:1, 6:1 is awful. I've been looking at the GFS 14:1 locking style tuners, anyone here tried them?

Also, I don't think I've ever even seen a carbon fiber pickguard, so I'll check them out. My GFS order was placed yesterday, so it won't be shipping til tomorrow >_< Atleast I'll have CoD MW2 to hold me over until some parts start arriving.
where DO you lid then? if its US there are others who have discounts.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
Yeah, I'm in the US. Whats the names of some guys so I can contact them when I come to that phase of the project?
nuthinbuttrubl8
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
Oh, I've seen him around. I guess I'll PM him later. Also, wheres the custom pickguard area of that site? Or do I need to email them about getting a custom one cut, I couldn't find a Yamaha section.

EDIT: Nvm. I'm feeling dumb today, that part was right at the top of the page
Last edited by AngryNoiseDude at Nov 8, 2009,
OK, since there is interest for Carbon Fiber, here's the best source I know:

http://www.cmkpickguards.com/

Warning: they're expensive.

BTW, even if someone claims to have pickguards pre-cut for a Pacifica, I would get one custom cut anyway. There's likely been variations over the years and with budget guitars like this often guards won't be interchangeable even in the same lot of guitars because they'll drill the holes through the guards & the guitars at the same time and their cheap tooling won't stay consistent through the whole lot.

Also, if you go with regular plastic, I'd recommend triple ply even though the stock is single ply. Every Pacifica I've seen has had a warped pick guard and they've all been single ply. Triple ply are less likely to warp.
Regarding pick guards.

You should be able to buy a sheet of material, then trace your original guard on to it and cut it yourself.
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
In your mockup you have an EMG in the bridge and regular single coils in the middle and neck... are you planning on doing that?
build 1, finished 1/15/11

Every time I try to pick it up like falling sand,
As fast as I pick it up,
it runs away through my clutching hands.
There's nothing else I can really do...
^No. I meant to put in a rails type pup. As thats whats in it atm, and I suspose I'll keep it.
Also, I'm not gonna get a fiberglass pickguard, not worth the cash IMO. I'll probably trace this one out, and get a 3-ply black (or blue?) pearl pickguard made at WD.
Quote by Skeet UK
Regarding pick guards.

You should be able to buy a sheet of material, then trace your original guard on to it and cut it yourself.

Have you done this, Skeet? I've never seen anyone get good results this way; seems like most folks have a really slow learning curve for this type of router work since the material burns up so fast. I get the sense you have to go through about 50 pieces of stock or more before you can be good at it--and that's if you have the talent. You could go through 100 pieces just to find out you'll always suck.

If you do it and it came easy to you, (I mean if people can't tell the difference between your work and something from the Fender factory) then what tools do you use (router, bits)?

I've seen lots of jagged edges and melt/burn marks, but never a professional appearance in a home cut plastic guard.

I could see myself cutting one out of metal with a scroll saw, but not plastic with a router.
Quote by jetwash69
Have you done this, Skeet? I've never seen anyone get good results this way; seems like most folks have a really slow learning curve for this type of router work since the material burns up so fast. I get the sense you have to go through about 50 pieces of stock or more before you can be good at it--and that's if you have the talent. You could go through 100 pieces just to find out you'll always suck.

If you do it and it came easy to you, (I mean if people can't tell the difference between your work and something from the Fender factory) then what tools do you use (router, bits)?

I've seen lots of jagged edges and melt/burn marks, but never a professional appearance in a home cut plastic guard.

I could see myself cutting one out of metal with a scroll saw, but not plastic with a router.

I don't imagine I would use a router, but if I did it would be a dremel type and in a Pin router setup. You have to cut slow, which is why the dremel would be better as you can set them at lower speeds.

I would likely use a scroll saw or coping saw by hand, then scrape the edges with a steel scraper, then polish the edge on a wheel. I have done this on similar items, so the principle is the same. I made a set of French curves, which are smooth enough for doing curves in airbrushed fire.

You have to clamp the section you are working on between a couple of bits of MDF to make it rigid, when scraping etc.
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
Last edited by Skeet UK at Nov 10, 2009,
Quote by Skeet UK
I don't imagine I would use a router, but if I did it would be a dremel type and in a Pin router setup. You have to cut slow, which is why the dremel would be better as you can set them at lower speeds.

I would likely use a scroll saw or coping saw by hand, then scrape the edges with a steel scraper, then polish the edge on a wheel. I have done this on similar items, so the principle is the same. I made a set of French curves, which are smooth enough for doing curves in airbrushed fire.

You have to clamp the section you are working on between a couple of bits of MDF to make it rigid, when scraping etc.

Kinda tough getting a perfect, consistent angle on the bevel scraping by hand--I'd think (theoretically at least). Also tough (in my experience) to get a consistent agle using a Dremel like a router (although I don't personally own the conversion kit, so maybe that's just my inexperience talking). Also, I've heard high cutting (bit) speeds are required, which drives the need for fast cuts (movement along the cutting path) so you don't warp it, melt it, discolor it, or literally catch it on fire.

But if I come across some scrap material maybe I'll give it a go.

Anyway, sounds like you've done some cool projects. Perhaps you can post some pix in your profile. And thanks for the tips!
Goddamnit...

So anyways, today I bought some rulers because when I measured my bridge, I was ABSOLUTELY sure that it was a USA spaced bridge, but I had a nagging doubt after I ordered it. So I went out and bought like 3 different rulers and used them all to measure my bridge, and They're telling me its a import-spaced bridge. So I either meaured wrong or something. And ordered the wrong size of bridge

So I guess I'll probably end up exchanging it, unless it fits somehow.
Well, it doesn't fit. Its just a teeny bit off. Oh well. Anyways, I'll probably seem like a noob asking this, but how do I start the item exchange/refund process with GFS? I found the section on it in the info section, but no button or anything to do so, do I need to e-mail them?
Okay, I just mailed them off to GF Sales LLC. Now I just need to pass the time with MW2.
Also, I need to go find a new job, I got fired from my last one last night, movie theater + twlight tweens + stupid bitchs = me fired. I really shouldn't work in such a public job because I have a bad temper >_<