so about a year and a half ago i got an ibanex rg for my birthday

i tried it out at my loval guitar center and i loved it. the one i have now my dad bought for me off craigslist. im pretty suure the previous owner was messing with the whole trem system (it has an edge, the ibanez version of a floyd rose) and now the action is waaaay to high.

i tried cranking down the trem bridge but when it goes too low, playing on the high frets doesnt work because the string is touching the frets and mutes the string and makes a rattling noise. i took it to guitar center today and the guy working there said that he couldnt do anything about, but gave me a guys card who could. problem is, he said the guys probably charges $25 an hour

so im wondering what i could do to fix it myself. i would still like to have full use of my tremolo, but i do have all the parts for a tremolno (which locks the trembridge in place, rendering it useless)

thanks
25 per hour? is he a prostitute!?!

mmm...i think you need this
http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm
maybe you'll find something useful there.
Quote by Vagabond21
Ewww the searchbar is a slut, it gets used everyday...

Quote by tremeloud

The brain says "hey, lets be friends" and the dick says "hey, lets get those clothes off, eh?"

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Yeaaaaaah, Huuuuuhuuuu, Saaaaaaah and MASTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR are all Hetfield memes.
that is a pretty standard price. It will only take him 30 minutes, but he will charge you for 2 hours because you don't know what you are talking about. So, when you talk to him(which you need to do or else you are F*cked) make sure you tell him that you are only paying him $25 dollars. This will let him know that you mean business.
Quote by Raudic
haha on topic please? how can i fix it myself

ok more specific:

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/truss.htm

just check the page, it actually helps.
Quote by Vagabond21
Ewww the searchbar is a slut, it gets used everyday...

Quote by tremeloud

The brain says "hey, lets be friends" and the dick says "hey, lets get those clothes off, eh?"

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Yeaaaaaah, Huuuuuhuuuu, Saaaaaaah and MASTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR are all Hetfield memes.
needs a truss rod adjustment probably, check the setup sticky at the top of the page.

set the height and adjust the neck to play at that string height,

goto the ibanez website and download the prestige manual, it`s full of instructions to setup a guitar.
no i know the truss/neck is fine. the whole floyd system is f*cked though

im looking at that site now and i think i found the problem. the trem is really angled back. ill try to fiz this and let you know if it helps.

thanks for that site though. bookmarking that for sure
Last edited by Raudic at Nov 8, 2009,
Either read on the net about setting the guitar up and do it your self or, pay to get it done by a professional. You must remember a business is there to make money. You need a service they supply that service and you pay. That is how an economy works.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
tbh i wouldnt reccomend trying to fix a problem when u dont really no exactly what it is and what u r doing. the last thing u want to do is try because u dont want to pay a pro and wreck it.
Tokai SG in Ebony

Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top with Honeyburst Finish

Vox ValveTronix 15

Dunlop Crybaby Wah

Quote by 3volved
I'm a 'single-cut slut'...gotta go with the EC-1000.
i got. i just tweaked with the trem height screw positons and spring positions for a while and i got it right. thanks all for the help
Quote by iamflipbaby
tbh i wouldnt reccomend trying to fix a problem when u dont really no exactly what it is and what u r doing. the last thing u want to do is try because u dont want to pay a pro and wreck it.

Gotta learn somehow. Pain is the best teacher.

TS, if you ever have anymore problems with your trem, stop by here and ask us. We can help.

You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
well sometimes ppl put shims under the saddles.. check for shims.... if thers none then idk... you could buy a nice floyd to replace it. they make some realy nice ones now called "speedloaders" ... maybe what yu could do is lower it all the way.. like you sayed but then put shims under the saddle to raise it just above the high frets.... an ibanez RG is a nice guitar... i wouldnt ever but anything like that used like you did god knows what the guy did to yur tremolo.