I heard the A minor scale referred to as the Blues Scale, especially with the two extra notes inserted (Eb?)

This is the:

5-8
5-8
5-7
5-7
5-7
5-8

layout in standard tuning.

I picked up a blues DVD and to my surprise it started with the E minor pentatonic
0-3
0-3
0-2
0-2
0-2
0-3

Maybe I am being totally premature and the DVD will move onto the A minor pentatonic. Or not.

For those that are familiar with The Blues, which scale is used more? And any particular reason why they started with an E scale instead of an A scale?
i prefer the Bb minor but it all depends on the mood and singer who has the *blues*............lol
It really depends on the chord progression you're playing over.
You do realize that the 5 positions of the pentatonic scale are the same........but the relative key is based on where the positions are on the fretboard.
E is the natural key of the guitar and you can arguably do the most in the key of E. For a blues scale you add the b5 to the pentatonic scale. For E it would be Bb and for a it would be Eb. Sometimes you could add a M6 to the scale to add color. You generally don't use a minor or a major third, you bend the minor 3 to in between the two notes and get a blue third. You can do that with the 4th to the fifth as well.
I am the only sane person on the planet. Does that make me crazy?

Crank the Mids
Thanks guys,

Yep - I realize that Blues does not HAVE to be in A, and that the shapes are movable to change key. Just thought that A might be the most common key since it is referred to as The Blues Scale, perhaps incorrectly.
add 5 frets to the notes of the E and you have the A. the zero fret on the first string is an E. the 5th is an A. that is how they're related.
The "blues" scale is simply the minor pentatonic whith the addition of a flattened 5th to give you a chromatic passing tone.

Als, remember that one pattern doesn't make a scale, that pattern is just one place where the notes of the scale occur. Every scale is a repeating pattern of notes across one octave, those notes appear all over the guitar fretboard. Best thing to do before attempting to learn scales is to learn the notes on the fretboard first, then teach yourself about intervals and the major scale.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
The "blues" scale is simply the minor pentatonic whith the addition of a flattened 5th to give you a chromatic passing tone.

Als, remember that one pattern doesn't make a scale, that pattern is just one place where the notes of the scale occur. Every scale is a repeating pattern of notes across one octave, those notes appear all over the guitar fretboard. Best thing to do before attempting to learn scales is to learn the notes on the fretboard first, then teach yourself about intervals and the major scale.

Thanks Mr Seagull. I am heading down that path too, it is just a long path.