My band and i have started to write music and im having a few problems.

One) the bassist is getting pissed because i dont stay in the same tuning.
one of are songs is in drop A on a seven string. another is in drop C,Db.ect
( i feel that if it sounds good...F**k it )

Two) i go from using a ss head to a tube head.( to me this isnt a problem untill we start gigging i feel)

three) Im always changing eq's for evey song.( if i have an idea in my head i want it to sound the way i can hear it in my mind)

Am i being a little to ocd, when tying to capture what im thinking ?
Gear:
Ibanez RG1527M Prestige
Martin DX1
Agile-2000
As long as it doesn't delay practice or your performance... capturing the right tone is what it's all about... Just don't spend 15 minutes tuning or changing amps...
Quote by dogtags99
My band and i have started to write music and im having a few problems.

One) the bassist is getting pissed because i dont stay in the same tuning.
one of are songs is in drop A on a seven string. another is in drop C,Db.ect
( i feel that if it sounds good...F**k it )
Is he pissed because he can't figure out what your fingers are doing because your tuning is different? If so, that's kinda his problem.

But if he's annoyed cuz you're wasting time tuning instead of playing, that's YOUR problem. If you can't make the changes FAST and transparent, it's disruptive.

Quote by dogtags99
Two) i go from using a ss head to a tube head.( to me this isnt a problem untill we start gigging i feel)
Choose what you need to get the tone you're looking for.

Or when you say "go from" do you mean you unplug one head and plug in a different one, then power up, switching back and forth. If that's the case ... just NO. You can't be farting around with connections all the time. The only way to make that work is to have 2 cabs and direct the output from your pedal board to one amp or the other through an A/B switch. Nobody in their right mind is gonna tolerate you wasting their time while you make all these changes.

Quote by dogtags99
three) Im always changing eq's for evey song.( if i have an idea in my head i want it to sound the way i can hear it in my mind)
If you can do this FAST, fine. If not, don't waste people's time.

Quote by dogtags99
Am i being a little to ocd, when tying to capture what im thinking ?
I'm guessing, yes.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
do most people stay in one tuning?
Gear:
Ibanez RG1527M Prestige
Martin DX1
Agile-2000
Quote by tenfold
Yea 1 or 2. Sometimes more for studio albums but just 1 or 2 live. Be sure to switch fast.

Yep... i really recommend getting more than one guitar actually; That way say you have songs in Eb standard, drop C#, one in C# standard, you can use one for the first two since only the 6th string changes and a different one for the last tuning.

Maybe that's what you and your bassist need?
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Time isnt a issue at all. Tbh i dont really see what im doing thats a big problem if im not wasting everyones time.

just seems its lazyness and a lack of wanting to not be generic
Gear:
Ibanez RG1527M Prestige
Martin DX1
Agile-2000
Quote by evening_crow
Yep... i really recommend getting more than one guitar actually; That way say you have songs in Eb standard, drop C#, one in C# standard, you can use one for the first two since only the 6th string changes and a different one for the last tuning.

Maybe that's what you and your bassist need?

yeah thats what i have going on two guitars for one tuning.. ive had the luck of getting decent guitars cheap.

bassist doesnt want to use more then one bass
Gear:
Ibanez RG1527M Prestige
Martin DX1
Agile-2000
Last edited by dogtags99 at Nov 8, 2009,
Quote by dogtags99
a lack of wanting to not be generic
Sounds like you're insinuating that if you don't want to be generic you need to change your settings and tuning for everysong.
Si
Quote by 20Tigers
Sounds like you're insinuating that if you don't want to be generic you need to change your settings and tuning for everysong.

No not at all... im not saying it has to be ever song
Gear:
Ibanez RG1527M Prestige
Martin DX1
Agile-2000
Your songs can be generic and you can use the most outlandish tuning.
You can play everything in E standard and never change your tuning but be completely unique and original.

Being generic or not is not really about tuning at all.

I guess I just don't understand that particular comment.
Si
Last edited by 20Tigers at Nov 8, 2009,
i think i would get pretty annoyed if i had to change tunings for every other song. Try not to be too excessive, for example in a live show, your song isnt going to sound much different in C or in D or whatever. Look at Chuck Berry - he used to get his band to change the key of the song live on the spot sometimes, just because he was "feeling it"
Try and think of everything from a gigging context; there's no need for unnecessary complication just yet, it will only confuse things in terms of the logistical problem it creates and also in songwriting. The sound you create is a lot more than just the tuning and EQ.