Mesa Boogie 2x12 Recto Cab - Half-back, 2 V30s.

Krank Rev Jr. Pro 20W on Tuesday - pics soon!
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Nice Choice, specially the Rev Jr. some great tones out of a low watt amp. Should sound nice through the V30's. Enjoy
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
that cab is soooo nice. is it new or used?

Can't wait to see the krank.

HNCD!
Ibanez JEM 555 > Line 6 POD XT Live > Behringer MS16 Monitor Speakers

"Asked us if we were happy, we said we didn't know...
Took us by the hands and up we go..."

Italians do it better.
The cab is used - I picked it up for $340. Felt bad for the guy I bought it from (chronic back problems, so he's been sticking with smaller heads and 1x12s) but I'll be keeping his cab in good hands. He said it was bought new in 2004 and he's done some light gigging with it, but it's in great shape, and the speakers sound broken in as well, which is great.

Can't wait for my head to come in!
Axe-FX Standard
Sweet can duderino.

I love the look of a anice 2X12. Cant go wrong with Mesa either!

1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
And for the head, which finally came!

And the most recent additions to the family (cab, head, and the Ibanez):
Axe-FX Standard
EPIC!

We now own the same amp...

Any views, opinions or review on the Krank?

I dislike how there's no on/off marking on the power and the channel boost behind the amp.

How well are you getting along with the sweep knob and the eq?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
I'd say there's definitely a bit of a learning curve. Right now I have the mids pumped a bit (about 3:00) and the bass/treble knocked back (1:00). Sweep is at 12:00, gain is at 1:00. Right now it's a little bit fizzy and not as... ballsy as I'd like? I'm looking to get a little bit more chunk and better harmonics. This is with my Tubescreamer on as well (level full, drive/tone at 12:00). I'm also wondering how best to incorporate the channel boost. Any suggestions you could offer for a decent rhythm tone would be great.
Axe-FX Standard
Quote by DrNick
I'd say there's definitely a bit of a learning curve.

Yup that was my experience too. However, one thing I find helps is being able to visualise the EQ curve and your EQ settings... then visualise how the sweep affects the mid settings.

With that in mind, it's easy to see how your Sweep affects your EQ and vice versa.

What makes Kranks hard to dial in is the interactivity of the EQ and the Sweep knobs.

Quote by DrNick
Right now I have the mids pumped a bit (about 3:00) and the bass/treble knocked back (1:00). Sweep is at 12:00, gain is at 1:00. Right now it's a little bit fizzy and not as... ballsy as I'd like? I'm looking to get a little bit more chunk and better harmonics.

To qualify my advice below, I have no idea behind the cab's voicing... so YMMV

The way I see it... you have a frown for an EQ. Which overly emphasises the mid-growl of the Recto cab.

Try sweeping it towards the bass (Sweep: 10:30 - 11:30).
Pull all your settings lower, I suspect you're overloading the frequencies.
Pull the Bass back (11:30 - 12:30)
Pull your Mids back (11 - 2)
Adjust your treble (12:30 - 2)
Your mids should not exceed your treble either.

adjust your presence back. Right now your fizzy and brittle tone could be due to an excess of high end treble.

Also, switch off the channel boost (behind the amp) for a better rhythm

If you do not have pedals in your FX loop, take a 10 ft - 20 ft cable and plug it into the FX send and FX return... it'll roll off some of the fizzy top end that you can do anything about with the presence knob.

Not sure if this helps

Quote by DrNick
This is with my Tubescreamer on as well (level full, drive/tone at 12:00). I'm also wondering how best to incorporate the channel boost. Any suggestions you could offer for a decent rhythm tone would be great.

Your TS might be contributing to the fizzy-ness too. Dial the tone down and drive should be very low.

The channel boost is really only helpful to push the amp for more power tube saturation (which is only really good with low gain), or for leads... but if you think about it... its not exactly footswitchable... so its kinda a moot feature for me.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
HNAD/HNCD

That's one badass rig, I'd love to have something like that...

How does it sound at low volumes?
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
nice rig and guitar, RGA121 ftw!
Gear:
Jackson SL1 !
Jackson SLS3 w/ bk warpig
ibanez RGA 121 with D sonic and paf pro
peavey triple X with JJ 6L6s and celestion G12k-100
bad monkey
mxr 10 band eq
digitech hardwire dl8
paul gilbert's airplane flanger
Ragingkitty, thanks for your help, I'll be sure to try those out later (got a long day ahead!).

And just had another question... Does the Rev Jr. have enough gain on tap to be used for modern metal without a boost? This relates to the whole "ballsy" question I had earlier. Not sure if this can just be solved by EQ or not. The one I tested in person sounded different but that may have been the difference in cab and possibly better EQing.
Axe-FX Standard
Quote by DrNick
Ragingkitty, thanks for your help, I'll be sure to try those out later (got a long day ahead!).

And just had another question... Does the Rev Jr. have enough gain on tap to be used for modern metal without a boost? This relates to the whole "ballsy" question I had earlier. Not sure if this can just be solved by EQ or not. The one I tested in person sounded different but that may have been the difference in cab and possibly better EQing.

Its got enough gain that it'll kill cute, innocent, little animals. Like Bambi or Mufasa.

When you say ballsy... I get the fell of thump bass that goes chugga chugga, like a Dual Recto. If that is what you are referring to. No. The loose bass of the Dual Recto contributes towards the chugga chugga character.

The Rev Jr Pro is more like a Mark, tight as hell. However, if you crank the master too high and have the boost on, it gets somewhat muddy, not very muddy, but you can hear it.

If you want a chugga chugga... I suggest a OD pedal that's voiced dark... and has emphasis on the lower bass frequencies, for which I have no sample pedal that's cheap. What I can think of is:
Pro Tone Skumstortion
Wampler Triple Wreck Distortion
Neither are cheap... and both are distortion pedals... I'm not sure how to effectively use a distortion pedal as an OD.

However, for modern metal... it will definitely be able to do without a boost... but for chugga chugga... you may need a dark OD... or mess with the sweep.

On second thought, I reckon if you move the sweep towards 9 - 10 o'clock... you should be able to get that ballsy sound... but I'm not entirely sure.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Yeah, if I had to guess at this point, it's probably just a matter of toying with the sweep/EQ. I guess we have different definitions of ballsy, haha - I'm looking for a tight bottom end as well, that doesn't get muddy. I've only had the master volume up around 9:00 so I'm pretty sure power tube saturation isn't an issue.

I'm just hoping nothing's wrong technically - right off the bat, even with the gain at 3:00 and my TS off, it sounded like it had less gain than my old Tiny Terror, so I knew that something was off. Might have been what you mentioned earlier about overloading the EQ, but I guess I'll find out later on when I can experiment with it some more.
Axe-FX Standard
Quote by DrNick
Yeah, if I had to guess at this point, it's probably just a matter of toying with the sweep/EQ. I guess we have different definitions of ballsy, haha - I'm looking for a tight bottom end as well, that doesn't get muddy. I've only had the master volume up around 9:00 so I'm pretty sure power tube saturation isn't an issue.

The Krank Rev Jr Pro has very tight bass... if you want... an OCD really helps make it shine... and gets the highs chiming nicely when you have the OCD on 18v mode.

By itself, the Rev Jr Pro will have no difficulities doing modern metal at all.

Quote by DrNick
I'm just hoping nothing's wrong technically - right off the bat, even with the gain at 3:00 and my TS off, it sounded like it had less gain than my old Tiny Terror, so I knew that something was off. Might have been what you mentioned earlier about overloading the EQ, but I guess I'll find out later on when I can experiment with it some more.

Hmm that's strange... with the gain at 3:00 and above... it has so much gain it should be unusable. Even my master is typically at 9:00.

However, one thing I noticed is that with the Ruby tubes... they tend to be inherently brittle, you need to drive them really hard to get them broken in... only then will it get somewhat darker.

Still the gain should no be an issue.

Can you do a recording?

I'll be able to evaluate it approx 23 hours from now... (don't have flash on my office computer)... I'll be able to tell if you should send the head back.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Sure, I'll get a recording up as soon as possible. Don't really have the best gear (Mac Book's camera and an old Nikon camera) but I'll see what I can do. I'm positive it's not the cab since I tested it with its previous owner's JCM2000 and it sounded great. This also completely slipped my mind last night, but I'll be sure to look at the tubes just in case.
Axe-FX Standard
Well I won't be able to listen to the clip until this time tomorrow.

Don't worry about the clip quality... I just need to check the level of gain

The tubes need a fair bit of breaking in... I recall cranking my gain past 2:00 when I first got it... then I started dialing it down. Alto a possibility could be a weak tube... but I'm not exactly certain.

Here's a quick test.

Set your Bass, Midrange and Treble to 12:00.

Turn your Master to 9:00 or just above 9:00.

Then starting with your Sweep at 12:00... and your gain at 12:00... turn, twist and tweak only the Sweep and the Gain knobs.

You should be able to get gain capable of the following songs:
Metallica - Master of Puppets, Creeping Death
Megadeth - Hanger 18
Testament - Disciples of the Watch, Legion of the Dead
Lamb of God - Redneck
Children of Bodom - Black Widow
In Flames - Man Made God
Arch Enemy - Nemesis

I use the Rev Jr Pro to play these songs... and I've not had any issues getting a high enough gain for these songs. These songs aren't exactly low or moderate gain songs.

If you can't...
1. Your tubes need major breaking in
2. If that is not the case, you may need to look at an exchange within 2 weeks if possible (it still takes time to break the tubes in)

I recall that when I got Rev Jr Pro... the gain was somewhat weak and ice picky... but it was definitely not short on gain. Though the ice picky sound does make the gain suppressed as the mids and bass can't really punch through.

Also stand further from the amp.

You can't get a good tone sitting too close to it.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Nov 11, 2009,
Hnad !!!

Very nice and simple set-up.

Hope you get your tone sorted.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Partscaster
Bugera 6262
Jcm900 1960A
Did some tweaking earlier and I have to say, it sounds much better.

Settings
Sweep: 11:00
Bass: 12:00
Mids: 11:00
Treble: 1:00
Gain: 2:00
Master: 8:00

FX boost off, just a hint of presence. Sounds pretty good. Nice and tight for rhythm rif***e, and I can kick on the Tubescreamer for some more sustain and sizzle. Thanks for your help! I didn't get a chance to record anything but that'll be the next step

(edit: They censor riff-age? Wow.)
Axe-FX Standard
Last edited by DrNick at Nov 11, 2009,
Quote by DrNick
Did some tweaking earlier and I have to say, it sounds much better.

Settings
Sweep: 11:00
Bass: 12:00
Mids: 11:00
Treble: 1:00
Gain: 2:00
Master: 8:00

FX boost off, just a hint of presence. Sounds pretty good. Nice and tight for rhythm rif***e, and I can kick on the Tubescreamer for some more sustain and sizzle. Thanks for your help! I didn't get a chance to record anything but that'll be the next step

(edit: They censor riff-age? Wow.)

Now the question is... HOW MUCH better does it sound?

DO you still get the "weak gain" you were talking about.

You'll start to notice that the best tones on the Rev Jr Pro isn't too far from the mid point... interesting eh? I'd say that they did their work to make sure you didn't have to tweak TOO intensively to get a good tone out of the amp.

I also noticed you did not play with your presence... more so than a lot of other amps... the presence has a great impact on the Rev Jr Pro's tone.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
Now the question is... HOW MUCH better does it sound?

DO you still get the "weak gain" you were talking about.

You'll start to notice that the best tones on the Rev Jr Pro isn't too far from the mid point... interesting eh? I'd say that they did their work to make sure you didn't have to tweak TOO intensively to get a good tone out of the amp.

I also noticed you did not play with your presence... more so than a lot of other amps... the presence has a great impact on the Rev Jr Pro's tone.

Well, on the subject of presence, I had it up at 12:00 as well and noticed that it was contributing to the fizz I was hearing. I dialed it back gradually and eventually got to a point around 7:30 or 8:00 that seems to be working well.

I definitely see what you're talking about with the mid point, and I also see what everyone's been saying about the sweep control - it really does drastically change the tone. I found myself constantly tweaking back and forth between the sweep and the three-band EQ before coming to something I liked. Then, when I dialed in a little more gain, I had to do the same thing over again.

In terms of the weak gain, I'm not really getting that anymore. It's not as brittle and lifeless as it was before, so I think it was just a matter of getting my EQ set up better. Overall it sounds tons better than it did when it was right out of the box, but I'll keep playing with it to see what else I can come up with.
Axe-FX Standard
Last edited by DrNick at Nov 12, 2009,
Awesome rig!!! I already drooled on the cab, but now that you have the head everything's even sexier! HNAD!
Ibanez JEM 555 > Line 6 POD XT Live > Behringer MS16 Monitor Speakers

"Asked us if we were happy, we said we didn't know...
Took us by the hands and up we go..."

Italians do it better.
Quote by DrNick
Well, on the subject of presence, I had it up at 12:00 as well and noticed that it was contributing to the fizz I was hearing. I dialed it back gradually and eventually got to a point around 7:30 or 8:00 that seems to be working well.

Yeah... l'll share with you now that the EQ on the Krank Rev Jr Pro is really very powerful... so much so that the extremes ends of (0 - 3, 8 - 10) tend to end up useless.

Quote by DrNick
I definitely see what you're talking about with the mid point, and I also see what everyone's been saying about the sweep control - it really does drastically change the tone. I found myself constantly tweaking back and forth between the sweep and the three-band EQ before coming to something I liked. Then, when I dialed in a little more gain, I had to do the same thing over again.

The sweep is a key selling point of the Rev Jr Pro... but at the same time, it is what causes people to dislike the amp. It becomes too interactive with the EQ to the point where you need to be a twiddler to enjoy the amp. Its not a plug and play amp. Its also the reason why so many people bash it after trying it once in a store.

yeah that's typical that you'll end up readjusting your EQ everytime you twist some knob or rather... but usually the tweak is very minor... you don't really need to start from scratch again.

Quote by DrNick
In terms of the weak gain, I'm not really getting that anymore. It's not as brittle and lifeless as it was before, so I think it was just a matter of getting my EQ set up better. Overall it sounds tons better than it did when it was right out of the box, but I'll keep playing with it to see what else I can come up with.

I think part of it is also about breaking the tubes in.

I remember mine fizzed like hell when I started playing it at low volumes.

So can you get da ballzy br00talz now?

Do you agree that the Rev Jr Pro a one-trick-pony that does many variations of that one trick?

Once you get familiar with the EQ... it gets easier to dial in tones as you need them. A key aspect is you need to be able to visualise your EQ like a parametric graph and then visualise how twiddling the Sweep knob moves your Midrange control.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Oh yes, it's definitely pumping out the br00tz, haha. And that statement sums it up pretty well actually, it's a metal amp through and through but is pretty versatile for that one purpose. I guess we'll see what happens as the tubes break in a bit more. I'm just waiting for a time when I can really crank it
Axe-FX Standard
Quote by DrNick
Oh yes, it's definitely pumping out the br00tz, haha. And that statement sums it up pretty well actually, it's a metal amp through and through but is pretty versatile for that one purpose. I guess we'll see what happens as the tubes break in a bit more. I'm just waiting for a time when I can really crank it

haha... now you've just attended Class One for the Krank Rev Jr Pro.

Your next stop is to get a Fulltone OCD... and a 18v adaptor (T-Rex Fuel Tank Jr), and run the OCD before the amp. The cleans go from fat to magically chimey! Chunky dist becomes screaming banshees!

Yeah if you know how to dial in the Rev Jr Pro... its a VERY versatile metal amp... sadly not everyone believes me. You really have to get a hang of the EQ to begin to understand how versatile it is.

When you crank the amp.... don't go all out on the Master... it has a magical sweet spot... what you do is first crank it until you get mud from the power tube clip... then you slowly dial it back until its clean. Listen out for the point where the power tube clip starts/ends.

You want your master just before it enters clipping or at the point where it clips... for the settings I showed you... that is about 11:30 - 1:30.

The tone there... just before the powertubes clip... is magical.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Whoa... 11:30. Not gonna be hitting that at home anytime soon, not with that 2x12 haha. Can't wait to take it out and jam, that should be sick.

About how long did it take for your tubes to start breaking in? For home use, I'm probably not going to have it running any higher than 9:00, so it might take a while for that to happen.
Axe-FX Standard
Quote by DrNick
Whoa... 11:30. Not gonna be hitting that at home anytime soon, not with that 2x12 haha. Can't wait to take it out and jam, that should be sick.

About how long did it take for your tubes to start breaking in? For home use, I'm probably not going to have it running any higher than 9:00, so it might take a while for that to happen.

Yeah... that's pretty plenty loud.

I took about 2 months of off-and-on playing to get there... If you do some regular playing daily... it shouldn't take more than 2 weeks.

Also I had a THD hotplate so I could crank it... which is how I got to 11:30 on my master.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )