Page 1 of 2
I'm stuck between these two amps.

Which sounds better at bedroom volumes? Which has more headroom/overall volume? Which is better at cleans and taking pedals?

I was dead set on the HT-5 until I heard these clips of the AC4.

http://www.box.net/shared/m8piuzyi6j

http://www.box.net/shared/u1g0137xpy

Most of what I'd heard of the AC4 was a bit fizzy but these clips sound amazing to my ears. Does it sound like that in person? How would i get it to? Speaker swap maybe?
Which genres do you play?
If you are more of a classic rock person, I'd go for the AC4. If you're into heavier music, try the HT-5.
If possible, go and try out the amps by yourself.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
I prefer the AC4, cheaper and has the built in 1/4 watt attenuator. However the HT-5 has a lot more features, but is much more modern voiced. Whichever you go for to get the best out of them a 112 or 212 cab is recommended, because both come in combo form with 8" or 10" speakers which are fine but could be better
It really depends on what you play.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Ideally I'd like to get both.

I don't really play a certain Genre. I have a Barber Dirty Bomb which is great for the harder, more modern music I'd play. The HT-5 would be great too for giving me more of that sort of stuff, something a bit more Marshally. The AC4TV would probably give me more of a Daniel Ash kind of sound and I'm a big fan.

I play alternative rock like the Smashing Pumpkins, and post punk/goth rock stuff like Bauhaus, Joy Division, Cinema Strange.

I'm not really too into Blues and Classic Rock(I do like these genres but don't really play them much), but I think I kind of prefer "vintage sounding tones" for some reason. I think it's kind of like the way you see a lot of vintage stuff being used in horror, it takes something kind of pristine and uses it in a different context. Keep in mind I probably wouldn't play most of the music the HT-5 is intended for, either.

I don't really want to say "right I want to play this genre, these are my needs, what amp will I get". I'd rather look at one or two tones I really like, and find an amp overall that I really like.

Ideally I'd like both, and might get both eventually, but it'll be a couple of years. By then I might be doing proper gigs so I might want something bigger, who knows.

Most important thing is taking pedals, probably.
Last edited by GURREN LAGANN at Nov 8, 2009,
If taking pedals is important then get the HT-5 as it has an FX loop. Plus it's got a clean channel which you can stick an OD pedal in front of to get your vintage classic rock tones.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
^^Hmm yeah I know what you're saying. Even when I'm playing kinda heavy stuff, I don't ever want an amp that's voiced in a modern way. I like mids and low gain amps, If I want more gain I boost it. I find I quite often like amps and guitars that I really "shouldn't" I guess. It's certainly all preference, I like the sound of metal with single coils through fender amps.

Also, as much as I like low wattage amps, when I try to justify the expenditure I can't because:
1) My 30 watter really doesn't sound bad at bedroom volumes, It's a misconception that it will, and it never goes past 1 on the vol.
2) You'd never crank a HT-5 and I think the 1/4 watt setting on the AC4 sucks tone a bit
3) Bigger amps have more features, and often larger/better speakers
4) As soon as you want to gig, anything less than 15 watts is probably not going to cut it, hence is pointless.

Try out a laney vc30. I haven't had mine long, but I've a lot of experience with it. It sounds very nice for anything lowish gain on it's own and boosted is a different animal, and it loves pedals, and really isn't that much more than a HT-5 (plus will easily do med. sized gigs)
what's your budget and what country are you in?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ireland. Limited selection. €350.

By the way the VC30 costs far more than twice as much as the HT-5.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah, those rat modded amps are meant to be good, but i haven't tried them. the 18 watter might be better in terms of having more wattage, though, so it's better for gigs (and also better for home use with the VVR, though i think powerscaling is an option on the RATs too).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
oh is your budget for the cab as well? i thought you were looking at heads, as those amps you listed also come as heads. Sorry.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It's for head but also including second hand.

Mostly it's down to the AC4TV and HT-5 for me like I said... anything else will be awkward for me to get in Ireland. I can get either one within my budget. AC4TV is well within my budget.

I'd like to get both eventually, I don't know though. It's a really tough choice and it's bothering me.

I think I'm probably just going to go with which one is louder and has more clean headroom. I won't be gigging with it without a mic but I will probably be jamming against a reasonable drummer. I was able to hold my own against the drummer with my Lunchbox on fairly low through it's 6.5" speaker.

The AC4TV is 4 watts and non master volume so in theory the HT-5 should have more clean headroom... but the kind of dirt you get on the AC4TV is also "cleaner" sounding, you can get better dirty cleans which is what you want with a Vox amp anyway.

It's an impossible choice for me. I love both of them for different reasons. Maybe it'd be ideal to get an AC4TV + HT Dual, but it depends how it takes pedals!
Sounds like you have it pretty well worked out what you'll be getting with either amp. Time for you to decide?
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
I can't! That's the problem. It was AC4TV vs. Tiny Terror for ages and I managed to rule out the TT though, especially since they're both somewhat similar in tone.

The AC4TV vs. HT-5 is more of a toughie... I'm really stuck! If I could try both side by side maybe but even then there's no way to anticipate the features.
none of those low wattage amps has much headroom... i haven't tried the two you're talking about, but I assume they're similar. even that 18 watter i listed doesn't have much...

up to you, really, as ch0 said.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Not really about getting much headroom, just which has more/is louder! I'll only need a bit of headroom, but want to make sure I can get the best that's there. Overall volume's probably more important, though it depends how well each takes pedals.
oh, ok. As i said, i haven't tried them, so...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by GURREN LAGANN
Not really about getting much headroom, just which has more/is louder! I'll only need a bit of headroom, but want to make sure I can get the best that's there. Overall volume's probably more important, though it depends how well each takes pedals.
What do you classify as "headroom?"
went to much live today, maxed out the clean volume, it kinda got that natrual break up but amps need to be louder than 5 watts,

also tried the AC4
still the same as the HT-5

both were the head and cab version,

i can tell you more but yeah
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Quote by AngryGoldfish
What do you classify as "headroom?"

For my purposes, as loud as I can turn it up before the dirt on my amp starts to seriously alter the tone of the pedal I'm running through it. Will I realistically be able to get high gain tones out of an AC4? Or am I doing it assways, and should I get a HT-5 and another new pedal for Voxxy tones? That's a costly option for me though.

I would like to have some usable "clean" tones, but the tone of a Vox or Fender slightly overdriven works in place of cleans I find(as compared to a Marshall or Mesa).

i can tell you more but yeah

Well, which was louder/cleaner and by how much?
Quote by GURREN LAGANN
For my purposes, as loud as I can turn it up before the dirt on my amp starts to seriously alter the tone of the pedal I'm running through it.
Natural gain doesn't alter your tone, apart from distorting it. That's why a power-amp's natural break-up is so cherished and sought after; because it doesn't colour your tone like preamp/transistor gain can.

If you want clean headroom at low volumes and at low wattages, Matamp make great ampifiers for your needs. However, they are a British, boutique amp maker--the prices will be higher.
Will I realistically be able to get high gain tones out of an AC4? Or am I doing it assways, and should I get a HT-5 and another new pedal for Voxxy tones? That's a costly option for me though.
I personally cannot say for sure because the AC4 is very new and I have yet to try it out. But I have heard many comment and say that it has a surprising amount of gain (fuzzy gain like an AC30) Whether it will do metal is to be said.
Maybe you could check Youtube videos and see for yourself?

People often say a pedal in front of any amp will give you metal tones. I disagree. If you want Between the Buried and Me, an AC4 with a stomp box is, imo, not going to get you it.
I would like to have some usable "clean" tones, but the tone of a Vox or Fender slightly overdriven works in place of cleans I find(as compared to a Marshall or Mesa).
Name a band you like the gain of?
Well, which was louder/cleaner and by how much?
The HT-5 takes a while to break-up. But it depends on what you classify as clean and break-up?
the HT-5 was louder but i was playing it through a series one 4x12 cab, very yummy tbh

i didnt care much for the AC4 but it was still a good amp to play, but im a metal head at heart so i need the gain

god i sound like an idiot
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
If you're using a medium output set of pickups you can turn the volume on the HT-5 up full without getting breakup - so long as you don't beat on your strings. Gentle strumming will give you a good clean sound with only the slightest hint of breakup (occasionally).

So there you go. Get the HT-5 and an OD pedal to do the bluesy/classic rock kinda stuff. I use an OCD for playing stuff like Rick Springfield and Neil Young and it works excellently. I used to use a Bad Monkey (which is a great option for people on a budget) before I got the OCD and that even worked really well. On top of all that the HT-5 does some fantastic hard-rock tones, which isn't anything I've ever been able to say about any of the Vox's I've tried.

As far as this whole "which is louder" thing. Who cares? One is only going to be marginally louder than the other. That is, neither are going to be loud enough for gigging and both are going to be too loud for the people around you.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Quote by GURREN LAGANN
Ideally I'd like to get both.

I don't really play a certain Genre. I have a Barber Dirty Bomb which is great for the harder, more modern music I'd play. The HT-5 would be great too for giving me more of that sort of stuff, something a bit more Marshally. The AC4TV would probably give me more of a Daniel Ash kind of sound and I'm a big fan.

I play alternative rock like the Smashing Pumpkins, and post punk/goth rock stuff like Bauhaus, Joy Division, Cinema Strange.

I'm not really too into Blues and Classic Rock(I do like these genres but don't really play them much), but I think I kind of prefer "vintage sounding tones" for some reason. I think it's kind of like the way you see a lot of vintage stuff being used in horror, it takes something kind of pristine and uses it in a different context. Keep in mind I probably wouldn't play most of the music the HT-5 is intended for, either.

I don't really want to say "right I want to play this genre, these are my needs, what amp will I get". I'd rather look at one or two tones I really like, and find an amp overall that I really like.

Ideally I'd like both, and might get both eventually, but it'll be a couple of years. By then I might be doing proper gigs so I might want something bigger, who knows.

Most important thing is taking pedals, probably.

Well, put it this way: What do you think KAMINA WOULD CHOOSE?!
Quote by LukeElliff
IF you want faster stumming then loosen your strings, that will force you into using more strength

Quote by pantallica95
i dont know about the polarity and ****, but my regular ones just wont go in the hole without a lot of force.
Name a band you like the gain of?

Bauhaus

http://www.box.net/shared/4nlisop58f
http://www.box.net/shared/5hx71mxmq4

Joy Division, Smashing Pumpkins, QOTSA, Rage, Pink Floyd.

I would like something that can take my Dirty Bomb well. When I mean higher gain, I mean I'd be using the gain all from the pedal pretty much, not boosting it.

I do really like the voicing of the AC4TV from the clips of the Vox site. I'm not sure how much I like the tone of the HT-5. I've actually tried one in person and it was pretty nice, but if I could get an amp that took my Dirty Bomb well it'd open up a similar range of tones.
Quote by TonyIommi2557
Well, put it this way: What do you think KAMINA WOULD CHOOSE?!

Kamina dies bro. lol.
The Blackstar from what I've heard will have the most headroom on it's clean channel and it has the FX loop.

While the Vox doesn't have an FX loop it does take pedals pretty well, I've never had a problem with it. The Vox starts to lightly break up a little over halfway I'd say. I would test that for you but unfortunately I don't have mine at the moment

It sounds like the Blackstar has what you want but it sounds like you prefer the tone of the Vox. It's really up to you, they're both going to suit you well I think.

EDIT: I've had no problem getting hard rock tones out of the Vox, on it's own it has a decent amount of gain for a more vintage voiced amp. And I've used a Russian Muff with mine which sounded fantastic.
Last edited by aaronni at Nov 8, 2009,
Quote by GURREN LAGANN
Bauhaus

http://www.box.net/shared/4nlisop58f
http://www.box.net/shared/5hx71mxmq4

Joy Division, Smashing Pumpkins, QOTSA, Rage, Pink Floyd.

I would like something that can take my Dirty Bomb well. When I mean higher gain, I mean I'd be using the gain all from the pedal pretty much, not boosting it.

I do really like the voicing of the AC4TV from the clips of the Vox site. I'm not sure how much I like the tone of the HT-5. I've actually tried one in person and it was pretty nice, but if I could get an amp that took my Dirty Bomb well it'd open up a similar range of tones.
Those bands use fuzz. Which isn't "metal", as such.

A HT-5 with a fuzz pedal will give you those tones, no doubt.
Quote by aaronni

It sounds like the Blackstar has what you want but it sounds like you prefer the tone of the Vox. It's really up to you, they're both going to suit you well I think.

This is exactly my problem. The slightly cuter looks and lower price of the Vox is appealing too.

If the HT-5 could get Voxy tones I'd be set.

Those bands use fuzz. Which isn't "metal", as such.

Not looking to do "metal" so much, though I do like some metal tones - I like Dimebag's tone(which the Dirty Bomb can do in theory, but with the right amp) and I kind of like Opeth's tone too. Smashing Pumpkins only really used a lot of fuzz on Siamese Dream, Bauhaus used fuzzy amp distortion rather than actual fuzz. The dirt on the AC4 kind of remind of me that. Though the Fender side of the HT-5 might do it too - i got kind of close with my AD30VT's Twin model.
HT-5 is good because it does a range of things.... is, but it does everything at a 'meh' level.

Get the Vox if you're into that type of tone.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE LURKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by GURREN LAGANN
This is exactly my problem. The slightly cuter looks and lower price of the Vox is appealing too.

If the HT-5 could get Voxy tones I'd be set.

Not looking to do "metal" so much, though I do like some metal tones - I like Dimebag's tone(which the Dirty Bomb can do in theory, but with the right amp) and I kind of like Opeth's tone too. Smashing Pumpkins only really used a lot of fuzz on Siamese Dream, Bauhaus used fuzzy amp distortion rather than actual fuzz. The dirt on the AC4 kind of remind of me that. Though the Fender side of the HT-5 might do it too - i got kind of close with my AD30VT's Twin model.

There's not really much more I can say. It's really up to you if you want the FX loop and extra headroom or your preferred tone. I love my Vox but I do like the look of the HT-5 as well and I'd probably be happy with either. For me the price difference would probably be the decider. Sorry I'm not really helping but I think it's up to you to decide what's most important to you.
No, everything helps! It's just a very hard decision!

I'm not so sure headroom is an issue if I'd need to mic it anyway.
Quote by AngryGoldfish
Natural gain doesn't alter your tone, apart from distorting it. That's why a power-amp's natural break-up is so cherished and sought after; because it doesn't colour your tone like preamp/transistor gain can.

...what? your power amp's natural break up certainly does alter your tone, it adds compression, it can change the EQ and response of your amp, I don't even know where you got the idea that it doesn't alter your tone. Really it alters your sound more than preamp gain does as the response of the output change really changes as you feed bigger signals into it, whereas you can use things like say overdrives to transparently distort the front end of your amp before it even hits the preamp tone stack.

The reason why it is cherished is that it is softer and doesn't have that same harsh, buzzy quality that distortion from a preamp can have, it has nothing to do with how it alters your tone, except for that people think that it alters your tone in a positive way.
Last edited by al112987 at Nov 8, 2009,
Page 1 of 2