so today i got an Ibanez GSA60 Blue (without tremolo) and i bought some strings along with it (EXL140)

the guy at the store said that if i put the strings on, the action will screw up somehow, anyone know how i can prevent it?

also when i plug it into the amp, half of the sound is buzz, is that the amp or the guitar?

ive read some mixed reviews on the guitar, some people say its a hunk of shit, some say its gold, do you guys reckon its worth keeping? Theres a 10 day satisfaction thingo, so i can swap it over.

cheers
It sounds like the fellow at the store needs to lay off of the controlled substances. Changing the strings will not screw up the action of a guitar. If they are significantly lighter or heavier than the ones already on the guitar, you may have to adjust the action a bit, but this does not mean that it is "screwed up."

As for the buzzing sound when you plug in, you need to be more specific. Is it a constant, electrical-sounding buzz? Or is it a buzz that sounds when you pluck the strings? If it is a constant electrical-sounding buzz, then try a different cable. If that doesn't fix it, you may have a ground problem. If you are good with a soldering iron, check the connections at the jack and repair if needed. There is also a chance that it is a pickup ground problem, and again, check the connections and repair if needed. If you arent good with a soldering iron, have a technician look at it. It will be a simple repair.

If it is a buzzing sound when you pluck the strings, either the action needs to be raised a bit, or you have a high fret.
Well if there is a buzz when playing through an amp, then unless you can repair it yourself (but actually know what you're doing), give it back man, get your money back, or at least try it through another one, did you not try it through an amp at the store?

Also if the guy said that the action would screw up, why did you get it? lol
The best way of altering your action, is by adjusting the height of your bridge, but again, unless you know what you're doing, take it back.
The best thing to do would be to learn how to adjust your action. It's really not very hard once you know what you're doing. It varies depending on what kind of bridge you have and after searching, I couldnt find a fixed bridge version of the GSA60. Are you sure you just didn't get a tremolo bar to stick in the bridge?
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by FatalGear41
It sounds like the fellow at the store needs to lay off of the controlled substances. Changing the strings will not screw up the action of a guitar. If they are significantly lighter or heavier than the ones already on the guitar, you may have to adjust the action a bit, but this does not mean that it is "screwed up."

As for the buzzing sound when you plug in, you need to be more specific. Is it a constant, electrical-sounding buzz? Or is it a buzz that sounds when you pluck the strings? If it is a constant electrical-sounding buzz, then try a different cable. If that doesn't fix it, you may have a ground problem. If you are good with a soldering iron, check the connections at the jack and repair if needed. There is also a chance that it is a pickup ground problem, and again, check the connections and repair if needed. If you arent good with a soldering iron, have a technician look at it. It will be a simple repair.

If it is a buzzing sound when you pluck the strings, either the action needs to be raised a bit, or you have a high fret.

its a constant buzz, so im assuming the cable is a bit messed up. its in bad condition as is anyway, so id be 99% sure that it is the cable, thanks

and the strings are going from .09 or .10 - .46 to .10 - .52, if in the case of the action needing some work, how do i go about this?
Your bridge is a tremolo bridge. You just don't have a bar. Judging from your knowledge thus far (no offense intended), I would not recommend messing with the bridge yourself. Restring it and if the frets still buzz, take it in to the guitar store and ask them to fix your action. It's best not to mess with it unless you know what you're doing.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by LiquidFear
its a constant buzz, so im assuming the cable is a bit messed up. its in bad condition as is anyway, so id be 99% sure that it is the cable, thanks

and the strings are going from .09 or .10 - .46 to .10 - .52, if in the case of the action needing some work, how do i go about this?

Adjusting the action is just a matter of turning the tiny screws that are on each of the six bridge saddles. They are almost always allen head screws, so you'll need the right sized wrench. One should have come with your guitar, but if not, they can be found in any hardware store for next to nothing. Screw the screws inward to raise the height of the saddle - thereby raising the action. Screw the screws outward to lower the height of the saddle - thereby lowering the action. Since you aren't increasing the gauge of the strings by very much, the most you should need to do is raise the action on the wound strings - the low "E," the "A" and the "D" strings. If you have a good metal ruler with millimeter marks that begin at the very edge of the ruler, you can use this to raise or lower string height to recommended standards. If you don't have one, trial and error works just fine. We're talking adjustments of one to three millimeters, so it certainly isn't much.

Unless, of course, you are a Stevie Ray Vaughan disciple. In that case, you need strings the size of telephone cables and you need to raise your action about a foot off of the fretboard.
Last edited by FatalGear41 at Nov 8, 2009,
Quote by FatalGear41
Fuzzy picture, but it certainly looks like a tremolo bridge.

should i have gotten a tremolo bar with it as well?
Quote by LiquidFear
should i have gotten a tremolo bar with it as well?

Unless it was used, yes. It comes with one. Return to the store and make sure they give it to you. You should also get the adjustment wrenches for the bridge and - if the guitar has one - the clamp-down screws for the locking nut.
Last edited by FatalGear41 at Nov 8, 2009,
Quote by FatalGear41
Unless it was used, yes. It comes with one. Return to the store and make sure they give it to you. You should also get the adjustment wrenches for the bridge and - if the guitar has one - the calmp-down screws for the locking nut.

yeah alright, ill go back this weekend and get it all.