I want to join a band.
I want to make a little flier and hang it up on the musician boards at all of my local music school, basically "Guitarist looking for band" I guess.

However I'm not really sure how to make this look it's best.

Ideas!
maybe try adding the name and phone number
LP owners unite!
Boss OD3
Quote by Paranoid777
Dont look for a band to join. I think is better to look for other musicians who have similar taste of music like you and form your own band

its harder to start a band then it is to just join one
Quote by _-Joey-_
You could add the genres you prefer to play

Maybe how good you are, maybe a couple examples of songs or something?

I'm more into writing my own material, you can check out two of my things on my profile.

But I guess "Creeping Death" by Metallica and "The Beginning at Last" by Black Label Society (without solos) and "My Michelle" by GnR (with solo).
I can also fingerpick, I can play "Dust in the Wind" by Kansas and I'm learning "Sailing Ships" by Whitesnake right now.

Actually I know a ton of BLS songs mainly seeing as they're my favourite band.
maybe try to form a BLS cover band with the understanding amongst all the members that the intention is to expand into original material? you'll get like-minded musicians that way.
Quote by GrisKy
maybe try to form a BLS cover band with the understanding amongst all the members that the intention is to expand into original material? you'll get like-minded musicians that way.

Hmm oh boy, I'd need someone who can play all of those solos though, I can't alternate pick like that, I'm more into Hard Rock soloing (GnR, Hendrix style)

I guess I could mention that I'm big into them somehow.
How old are you?
NO offense but it sounds like you're about 14, and unconfident, and uneducated.
Learn PR bud. Its simple. Make a flyer stating you are interested in joining an original or cover band. State some of your primary influences and styles you enjoy. Give people an email and/or phone number to contact you at. ALSO! search craigslist, join-my-band, bandmix for local guitar ad listings, search !!!
Quote by Highwaytohell
How old are you?
NO offense but it sounds like you're about 14, and unconfident, and uneducated.
Learn PR bud. Its simple. Make a flyer stating you are interested in joining an original or cover band. State some of your primary influences and styles you enjoy. Give people an email and/or phone number to contact you at. ALSO! search craigslist, join-my-band, bandmix for local guitar ad listings, search !!!

I'm a week older than you and I've never been in a band, of course I come across as uneducated.

Craigslist, join-my-band and bandmix won't help me much in a small Austrian town, I'm already checking out the local band sites and things like that.
Dude, just hang out around town like in record stores, go to gigs, and keep working on your playing. You'll find band members eventually and by the time you do you should be a better songwriter and player. Be friendly to everybody you meet too.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
Quote by _-Joey-_
You could add the genres you prefer to play

Maybe how good you are, maybe a couple examples of songs or something?

Also include what your goals are, and how committed you are to those goals. If you want to get signed, you don't want to play with someone who is in it just for kicks, and vice-versa.

Include what you're looking for, specifically, and describe what you are able to offer in return.

The worst kind of ad is the one that reads like:

Guitarist available
call (123) 456-7890.

Why would I ever call that? Could be a country dude, a flamenco shredder, a jazz head, a n00b, a pro, a middle-aged guy looking to get away from his wife on Tuesday nights, an obsessive-compulsive control freak who will do anything to get signed.... I don't know. Quite frankly, I won't bother to find out either. I'll call the guy who put up the other ad who tells me what he's on about.

My personal strategy is to make my ads specific and detailed. I'd rather weed most people out before they even phone or email. Then I weed from there so that I don't have to sit through 10 people who all think they want to come out, but later tell you that the project really isn't what they're looking for. Weed it down through the ad, through talking on the phone, and hook up with one or two or three people and see if you can find a good fit.

And from my experience of almost 25 years playing in bands, if you're doing covers, it is way easier to just join a band that is already formed. A half-way competent guitarist can step in, learn the setlist in a couple of weeks or so, and the band can be back out gigging in no time. To start from the beginning with *everyone* learning 30-40-50 songs.... takes a while.

If you have a bunch of originals that you want to do, finding a ready-made band who is willing to take you on so you can foist a whole new catalogue of new and unfamiliar material is a tall order. Best to form your own in that case.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by Paranoid777
Dont look for a band to join. I think is better to look for other musicians who have similar taste of music like you and form your own band

I would disagree with that. It takes so much time and effort to get your own band off the ground you might as well find a band to start up with where you can just get in and go, then later on see about starting something on your own if you still want to.
I would. At least a ballpark.

How would you feel if you answered an ad, and you were the 17 year old walking into a room with a bunch of 40-somethings? How do you think they feel when the 17y/o walks in?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
I went around town and hung it up in all of the music schools that I know of, I'll check out some other places as well the coming week.

Thanks to everyone!