I'm not sure if any of have read the "Holiday 2009" issue of Guitar World (the one with Skynyrd on the front. I never usually buy GW but I saw "The rise and fall of the legendary Rory Gallagher" and I'm a ***** for Gallagher! ) but the article on Rory G in there seemed incredibly...false.

I might scan it in for my friends in Italy to take a look at so if I do I'll link it here just for your guys to read, but it seemed as if the person writing really didn't know anything about Rory Gallagher and was only writing what had been found on Wikipedia or whatever.
Take this excerpt for example: "But the tragedy of Rory Gallagher is something different, a tale of a life filled with missed opportunities, unfortunate career decisions and misplaced idealism, all exacerbated by the familiar demons of alcohol and drug dependancy"
Any Rory fan would know that he would have kicked people out of the band for using illegal substances. His tranqs he was taking for his fear of flying did go down badly with the alcohol, but that's far from an addiction.
Later it does go on to say that he never used recreational drugs, but I just feel that as this excerpt was laden with talk of Randy Rhoads (he was mentioned at least three times in the article...I think we know the sort of market Guitar World is trying to impress) that the readers will remember that bit more than a quote from Donal Gallagher saying he never used recreational drugs, which would make people think the wrong thing.

I'm sure people aren't as offended with this article as I am. But it really enfuriates me when people cite wrong information about him, it's probably cos I've grown up with it all being thrown into me and all that, but it really annoys me.

Something else that got me, while being mainly opinion based, is that the article said that his early albums (up til Calling Card I believe) sounded thin as they were recorded live in studio. It said that the addition of piano player Lou Martin (and the drummer change to Rod De'ath) helped but it still wasn't good as he produced himself.
Though in my opinion, "Rory Gallagher" and "Deuce" have some of the most poweful songs in Rory's repetoire.

Sorry for the rant about this, but it really grinded my gears!

So you're saying that this thread is for people to mention musicians that have been misrepresented? I think that's a great idea. Good thinking.

My contribution if Herman Li and Sam Totman, when Through the fire and the flames got noticed a lot of magazines started stating them as the best guitarists around ect I think that this pissed a lot of people off and caused a lot of hatred towards them even though it wasn't their fault as such. It resulted in them later having to play themselves down in interviews by saying things like
"Well i wish i could do things that Steve vai could do but.."
and
"Ofcourse we're not as a good as Vai!".

An artist should never have to put themselves down tbh.
Quote by grimms
All I know is that if UG were a prison, all of us will either be dead, a prison bitch, or a dead prison bitch.

Last edited by ILuvPillows? at Nov 8, 2009,
Quote by Punk_Ninja

Something else that got me, while being mainly opinion based, is that the article said that his early albums (up til Calling Card I believe) sounded thin as they were recorded live in studio. It said that the addition of piano player Lou Martin (and the drummer change to Rod De'ath) helped but it still wasn't good as he produced himself.
Though in my opinion, "Rory Gallagher" and "Deuce" have some of the most poweful songs in Rory's repetoire.

I understand what you're saying, a lot of people tend to prefer the live stuff which is fair enough, maybe the live recordings are more powerful and raw, but like you say, the (early) studio albums are often ignored/criticised.

And what's the bit about missed career opportunities etc. Granted, I haven't seen the article, but what exactly is that referring to? I think that from what I have seen of this type of mag, it tends to imply that someone isn't a true "guitar hero" et al, if they don't lead the Rock-God lifetstyle, and aren't fantastically famous. Tbh, Rory Gallagher's relative unknown status doesn't detract at all from his abilities as a guitarist, singer, or just musician in general.

Maybe I'm just misinterpreting what you said

As a side-note - I love watching Lou Martin when he played live with Rory, and I do think he adds something to the music, but not something essential.
Rory has had several misrepresented articles written about him and I can only guess as to why, I'm sure there are many, many reasons. I've given up on getting pepped up about it like I used to, but I share your annoyance as an avid and devoted Rory fan.

Rory's life story is indeed a sad one though (particularly in the later years), but the sensationalising of it does it no favours. The media generally have been on Rory's back since the late eighties when he developed the water retention from the prescribed drugs/alcohol mix. It's believed from a few sources (inc. Donal) he did get addicted to the prescription drugs near the end when he became more recluse. Anyway, a lot of Rory's life is speciulation and partly-remembered stories: McAvoy's book and Coghe's biography didn't go into nearly enough detail on some areas about Rory, but it seems a lot is unknown about him as he was so shy when off-stage and seemingly occupied the vast majority of his time with his guitar. The books seemed like a lot of vague memories loosely stringed together.

In my opinion his first two solo studio albums are his finest - as much as I like Rod's drumming in the albums following these ones, Wilgar Campbell just seemed to flow with Rory better with a more refined touch, knowing when to play subtle and when to play hard. Live albums however I could give you a list of at least 250 (includes bootleg recordings from Taste up to Rotterdam 1995) that I'd call his very best work - the greatest live tour de force in music I have ever encountered (imo!!).

All I can suggest is don't read guitar magazines and avoid Rory articles like the plague! I've personally never seen a need for them anyway...
ILuvPillows?: This is the blues and jazz area mate...

Regibald: It's in relevance to the Rolling Stones thing and things like that, which I do agree with, his "fame" would have gotten a lot bigger than it was if he went with them, but Rory was very solitary, he wouldn't have been able to play to his full extent in that scenario.
And yeah, watching Lou is always immense, it's a shame he had a stroke :-/
My australian friends visited him two years ago, me and my dad are going to drop by whenever we have the chance. Apparently looking at his house, you would never have though he played for Rory.

StrawForest007: I never take these articles particually seriously as Rory is such a character soaked in mystery, though if I ever see an article about Rory I buy it because a lot of the Rory fans I know come from areas where they wouldn't see Guitar World, or they just don't notice these things, so if I see 'em I'll buy them and whenever I see them I'll let 'em read. Also I guess I always get a little bit excited to see Rory's name in a magazine as he never gets the recognition he deserved, though he didn't really want that recognition...

I haven't read Coghe's biography yet, but I agree in "Riding Shotgun" that it didn't go into huge detail, but one thing it did make clear, was that Rory was very anti-drugs, which this article, made it seem he wasn't, as much as it did tell all the information about his addictions and whatnot, it did it in a way where the average reader (who wasn't a Rory fan, just a reader) would take away "Rory Gallagher died because of drug addictions and alcoholism" which isn't the case at all really :-/
I guess I'm just a bit bitter because I've heard about how much of an amazingly nice and modest guy he was and I hate when that sort of person gets misinterpreted.

It sounds like you have a nice collection of bootlegs, Strawforest, I unfortunately only have the released stuff, any bootleg stuff I had died on my old computer, at my dad's place there are plenty of VHS and cassette tapes full of Rory bootlegs, but trifling through all that stuff would take me ages!

This is a bit unrelated but I still need to hunt round my dads house for his old photo album, he has a HUGE photo album, full of pics from being on the road with Rory and the band, when I get hold of 'em, I'll scan them in
Quote by Punk_Ninja

Regibald: It's in relevance to the Rolling Stones thing and things like that, which I do agree with, his "fame" would have gotten a lot bigger than it was if he went with them, but Rory was very solitary, he wouldn't have been able to play to his full extent in that scenario.
And yeah, watching Lou is always immense, it's a shame he had a stroke :-/
My australian friends visited him two years ago, me and my dad are going to drop by whenever we have the chance. Apparently looking at his house, you would never have though he played for Rory.

Ah right, yes the Rolling Stones thing- makes a lot more sense now . Definitely agree with you about the playing to his full extent bit - whilst he did covers, it sounds like Rory stuff, not just Rory playing other people's songs.

And I didn't know that Lou had a stroke ...

Quote by Punk_Ninja

This is a bit unrelated but I still need to hunt round my dads house for his old photo album, he has a HUGE photo album, full of pics from being on the road with Rory and the band, when I get hold of 'em, I'll scan them in

Nice. The only Rory-related thing I've got is hopefully having started a chain of people to like him haha. Someone i know posted this on facebook I think it was recently:

Mate, if you haven't heard of him i recommend you look up Rory Gallagher, he's a bluesy singer/guitarist (my name) got me into, he's very good Youtube Bullfrog Blues and Shadow Play

Made me slightly proud But articles like that aren't gonna make him look like he should.
Lou still plays though today (back with Killing Floor), I think it was in the mid/late nineties he had his stroke? Rod De-Ath got hit by a train in the late eighties/early nineties, survived but has been severely disabled by it and has been in obscurity for decades. Wilgar Campbell passed away in the early eighties from heart problems (heart attack if I remember correctly - and he was scared of flying too, ironically that's why he got axed as Rory travelled an awful lot). To end on a nice note though, David Levy (the bassist after McAvoy left, later to Nine Below Zero) plays with Bernie Marsden who has released a Rory Gallagher tribute album, (from samples I've heard sounds pretty good - his album in tribute to Peter Green is pretty good also).

To add to the Rolling Stones thing, he was also rumoured to replace Blackmore in Deep Purple. I'm really glad it stayed as a rumour. Joining a big name band would've been a ridiculous idea.
Quote by ILuvPillows?
So you're saying that this thread is for people to mention musicians that have been misrepresented? I think that's a great idea. Good thinking.
"Well i wish i could do things that Steve vai could do but.."
and
"Ofcourse we're not as a good as Vai!".

An artist should never have to put themselves down tbh.

People don't like Dragonforce because they can't play their songs live (not even close). I don't think they're purposely playing themselves down though, I think they're just laid-back humble guys.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012