Hello, how can I get a Jazz tone from my Marshall amp.
I´ve got a Marshall MG 30FX and a Fender 60s Stratocaster.
throw the marshall in the trash and play unplugged
Quote by JeanMi36
Back when I was a teen, I was making out with this girl, when I had the bright idea of putting my hand inside her panties.

She had her period.

I'm scarred for life
i usually dont do a lot on my amp, i usually just leave my settings where they are a lot of my sound comes from my rolling back the tone on my guitar.
use the neck pickup or combination and roll back the tone to like 0-2. you dont want it bright but dont want it muddy either. do not use your bridge pickup
hope this helps

oh ya, obviously you'd be on the clean channel
Well, both pieces of your equipment are not suited for Jazz, but you can try to get a good tone out of both. Go to the clean channel on your amp, and roll down the treble and the mids, and if available, also the presence. Only have the bass full up. On your guitar, select the Neck and the middle pickup and roll down the tone a bit.
In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Quote by Lord-O-Donuts
Banned for being the coolest April 08'er on UG.

please check out my own album:
almilano.bandcamp.com
Quote by Madzää
Well, both pieces of your equipment are not suited for Jazz, but you can try to get a good tone out of both. Go to the clean channel on your amp, and roll down the treble and the mids, and if available, also the presence. Only have the bass full up. On your guitar, select the Neck and the middle pickup and roll down the tone a bit.

how on earth is a strat not suited for jazz?
^Eric Johnson plays a Strat!

I wouldn't turn the bass ALL the way up. My practice amp is an MG and you really shouldn't be turning any of the knobs to the extremes on that amp. Play through the neck pick-up, and turn the tone down and volume down, just not below half because the MG is already a very "empty" amp and you don't want to suck any more tone out than it's already minimal "output". Play on the clean channel and turn the treble down to around 4 or 5 and the bass up to taste.

And finally, add a little reverb in. The clean channel is terribly dry on the MG and needs just a tad bit of flavor if you want to get any kind of pretty sound out of it.

Hope this helps!
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Quote by acoustielectric
Jazz tone from a marshall? ROFL

HURF.

More on topic, I have a JCM2000 and the settings I use with an EMG 85 in the neck position for a jazzy clean entail maxing out the bass, putting the mids just above the 50% mark, and putting the treble around 25%. Obviously your mileage shall vary, but the general idea is that you place emphasis on the low end and use the neck pickup. If you're doing 80s fusiony kinda chording then use the middle and neck position pickups
Steinberger GU/Spirit w/ Moses Graphite neck, EMG 81-85
"Fireball" Pacer/RG hybrid

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N
Hmm, getting a Jazz tone from an MG is a very different task, but possible. People in this thread have generally answered your question.

I think the ideal Marshall amp for Jazz would probably be a Marshall Bluesbreaker.

Edit: or come to think of it, a Marshall Major.
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
Last edited by Junnage at Nov 8, 2009,
Quote by Afro24
Marshall amp.
I´ve got a Marshall MG 30FX

Theres your problem right there... i'm actually being honest here and not joining the band wagon... it might be really hard to get a jazz tone on a MG