I was given a Boss CS-3 pedal. Heard many guys use it. My only experience with compression is when the engineer in the studio adds some. I play doom and dark metal. Although I can appreciate the effect that it has on clean melodic passages, I needs some help with setting this thing so my overall tone is not affected, distortion level remains where it is while adding more balance to solos. Thanks.
adjust the knobs until you get a sound you want?

we don't know what you are looking to achieve so how are we supposed to say stuff like level on 3, comp on 5...
Quote by Dark Orders
I was given a Boss CS-3 pedal. Heard many guys use it. My only experience with compression is when the engineer in the studio adds some. I play doom and dark metal. Although I can appreciate the effect that it has on clean melodic passages, I needs some help with setting this thing so my overall tone is not affected, distortion level remains where it is while adding more balance to solos. Thanks.

Just turn it on only when you are soloing. The whole point of a compression sustainer is to compress the signal your guitar is sending. If it will color your tone, I'd say it's best to keep it off until a solo that needs compression.
Quote by AlanHB
As for the guitarist being a wanker - he's a guitarist. Get used to it.