So, i noticed that my wrist hurts after i play for some time. And i realized it has been doing that for quite some time now, i just never paid attention to it. It seems that i am holding my powerchords wrong, because whenever i hold a power chord, my wrist is bent at a large angle (70-80°. Is it possible that i managed to give myself capral tunnel syndrome? Any tips on how to reposition my hand so i wont have to bend it for power chords (i do a lot of that for my band, since its a punk band and all).
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Whatever you do, don't keep playing if you feel pain, or you could cause some damage.
try playing with your wrist straight.
My Gear:
Taylor 410CE
Fender Highway One Strat HSS
Egnater Rebel 112X
Egnater Rebel 20
Digitech RP350
PIRATES!!!

Quote by VolumeControl
I once hypnotized my pet rock,. He just sat there...hypnotized out of his mind.
if your playing standing up either tilt the neck upwards or raise your strap to make your wrist straighter
Or try using your thumb over to get the low e, instead of the index finger. Some people will say it's bad practice, but it works.
Quote by Kyose
if your playing standing up either tilt the neck upwards or raise your strap to make your wrist straighter

Yeah, i already have my guitar above my waist, and im trying to get comfortable with tilting the neck. And i cant really get my wrist straight without having my guitar literaly under my chin. Any my wrist bends if i sit or stand while playing, maybe even less when im standing. And i checked a few videos on youtube, and pretty much all of them bend their wrist while playing power chords.
Ok guys, i have no ideas left, im not really holdin it any different than anyone else i know or have seen in videos. I think im gonna take a trip to the doctor soon.
Quote by gorkyporky
So, i noticed that my wrist hurts after i play for some time. And i realized it has been doing that for quite some time now, i just never paid attention to it. It seems that i am holding my powerchords wrong, because whenever i hold a power chord, my wrist is bent at a large angle (70-80°. Is it possible that i managed to give myself capral tunnel syndrome? Any tips on how to reposition my hand so i wont have to bend it for power chords (i do a lot of that for my band, since its a punk band and all).

id suggest doing hand stretches and warm ups and such before playing, coz you could get RSI (Repetative Strain Injury) (dont want it) . also maybe position your guitar differently, change the length of the strap or something.
Quote by 601210
Or try using your thumb over to get the low e, instead of the index finger. Some people will say it's bad practice, but it works.

How is that possible?

Maybe it's bad practice because it's almost impossible to do?!
Freepower's vid on posture.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyvGD9edWcg
/thread?
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
After spending hours and hours playing games the first month I got on my first personal computer back in 1998, I noticed that my right wrist started to hurt and get sore. The more I played, the worst it got. I figured out that with me, that the pain was being caused because my wrist was staying "bent" and being moved for hours as I used the mouse with that hand to play the PC games. Unwilling to stop playing the PC games ;-), I had to figure out what was causing the soreness and how to prevent it. I figured out pretty quickly that the soreness (in my case) was caused by improper alignment of my arm to my hand at my wrist and the fact that I was moving my wrist being bent in that position for hours at a time. I was laying my arm on my desk and had to bend my wrist (at a pretty good angle) to hold and move the mouse rapidly as the game demanded for hours.

The solution to my problem was to "elevate my wrist to the proper height" so that my wrist was not being bent so much. I needed to set my wrist on something, so what I did was simply rest my wrist on another unused mouse and it worked GREAT! The second mouse is about the same height as the one connected to my computer. If you don't have a second mouse, or an old junk mouse, you could probably use anything that is close to the same height as your mouse. The local computer stores sales little soft "gel wrist pads" for this purpose, but they smell pretty bad (I guess the chemicals in them must be pretty bad). After trying a gel pad for a few hours, my hand stunk like the pad. If you could find a good "non-stinking" gel pad, I guess that would be the best fix for this problem, but I have yet to find one. On the lighter side, in a pinch, I have even used a mostly gone toilet paper roll to rest my wrist on (I stuff the center of the roll with paper so it doesn't collapse). hey it's better than a sore wrist, I wouldn't do this at work though ;-).
=============================
sonic vs naruto
Wings of War
Last edited by srsaravanan at Nov 29, 2009,
This would be called tendinitis. I my self have had it the doctor said it was due to over use of the wrist witch in my case was my picking hand. So it felt like a sprain i could not! bend my wrist or hand with out huge amounts of sharp pain. :P so they gave me like a wrist splint thing with this metal rod in it kept my wrist staight it sucks at first but about a week or 2 it gets better i even played! with it on lol. Anyways it came back 2 or 3 more times i havent had it since.

If you choose not to go to the doctors right away just try make you're own splint? say a ace bandage or something wear it as much as you can and sleep with it... Long as you keep you're wrist straight for a few days it should feel better.
Last edited by Starm6 at Nov 30, 2009,
You can pick up a splint at wal mart or any sporting goods store just look for knee braces and they will be close by.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight
i get pain in my wrist after a playing anything that requires stretches between pointer/pinky. I tense my wrist when i make those stretches(no idea why or how to control)

but i hope in the future less strength would be needed to make the a simple 5+ fret stretch

when pain starts, i immediately stop and shake my wrist out a little. using the thumb on neck grip is not helping this, but it makes things easier to play without my palm muting my high E string if i have my palm against the back of the neck(vs thumb)
Yeah, stop playing till the pain goes away, then correct your posture as recommended in my vid.

And, er, read the sticky, because it's full of helpful tips like how to avoid this stuff.
I have a similar question, how can you keep your wrist straight by having your guitar at waist height when you are standing? because lets face it when you look at famous guitar players they don't have their guitar straps tight so their guitars are up high.
Last edited by JasminMehinagic at Nov 30, 2009,
I don't really understand your question. You can't really keep your wrist straight with the guitar at waist height, even playing very simple chords and leads. You need the guitar up higher - if you look at guitarists who play moderately difficult stuff with the guitar that low they generally move their guitars to play those sections - like Slash and his vertical guitar. He's holding it where he can actually play a bit.

Look at Tom Morello, Satch, even Alexi.
I wash my hands/wrist's with warm water before playing to loosen them up. That also helps keep the strings clean too. It wouldnt hurt to get it checked out tho.