I ve been saving up to get a half stack for awhile, but i barely get to go to my guitar center that much, and I only tried two half stacks. Line 6 and Crate. I like both amps. but i would like more opinions on other half stacks, because i rarely have the time to go and try other half stacks. I mainly play alternative and some songs mainly in drop d. Thank you
Alot of people are now going to come in and rip you. Sorry about that.

Few of the things they will say...

-You dont need a halfstack.
-Line 6 are crap.
-Crate are crap.
-Get a combo.
-You dont need a halfstack.

(I dont agree with these things by the way, apart from the you dont need a halfstack bit)
Sweet.
What genres of music do you play? Drop D is not a genre of music.

What's your budget? Half stacks come in all budgets and qualities, and some of them are real shit, particularly the Line 6 Spider half stacks and the Crate Flexwave half stacks.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
The Line 6 Spider and Crate Flexwave aren't great amps (I'm assuming those are the ones you're looking at)...

Will you go used? The money you would spend on those could get you much better amp if you buy used.
Quote by Raijouta
What genres of music do you play? Drop D is not a genre of music.

What's your budget? Half stacks come in all budgets and qualities, and some of them are real shit, particularly the Line 6 Spider half stacks and the Crate Flexwave half stacks.

Mainly Alternative, Hard Rock, and some grunge. my budget like 700$ right now
Quote by Tap597

Will you buy a used amp? I'd look for a used Peavey Classic 30 or maybe a VOX AC30...and an OD pedal if you need any extra boost. Or maybe an AC15 if you want to go new.
As others have said, you don't need a half stack. But I'll bother to tell you why :-)

The highs shoot straight out like a flashlight beam. You think it's just right where you are standing? It's much louder and brighter out in the crowd where the cabinet is pointed. Plus, since there are four speakers sharing the power, the amp has to be really cranked in order for each speaker to get enough power to make it start breaking up and get "the sound". A single speaker with a Weber Beam Blocker or a home-made "foam doughnut" is the way to go in almost any situation.
Quote by TimmyP
As others have said, you don't need a half stack. But I'll bother to tell you why :-)

The highs shoot straight out like a flashlight beam. You think it's just right where you are standing? It's much louder and brighter out in the crowd where the cabinet is pointed. Plus, since there are four speakers sharing the power, the amp has to be really cranked in order for each speaker to get enough power to make it start breaking up and get "the sound". A single speaker with a Weber Beam Blocker or a home-made "foam doughnut" is the way to go in almost any situation.

Damn am I glad I saw this before my gig.. thanks dude.
Custom Homemade Amp ftw, look at local music shops for people that make amps. Most likely you will find gold like i did.
John Frusciante
Slash
Jeff Beck
Matt Bellamy
Jack White

HT-5 Owners Thread

Owner of an 1/4 watt custom combo.

Quote by Garou1911
^This man speaks the language of win.

Donate to my cause
Need to clarify here. Generically, a "half stack" consists of one amplifier, and one speaker cabinet. In other words, the 5W Epiphone Valve Jr. is a half stack. So you're not necessarily talking about a 100W head sitting on top of a 4x12 cabinet.

I personally use a 20W head, and a variety of different cabinets - a 410, a 412, a 112, a 212, etc. Even with the same head set the same way, the speakers produce quite a variety of different sounds. And 20W is about all the power you'd ever need, because any place you'd need more will have a PA system anyway.
Quote by Tap597

save more and get a VH4

google it
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Wow, take everthing you read in here with a grain of salt, including my post. 700 bucks get you into some decent equipment in the Halfstack arena if you are willing to go used.

Can you be more specific than "alternative, grunge and hard rock". I can name bands in each of those genres that use just about any type of amp. Name some bands with similar tones to what you want.

Halfstacks do have their advantages and disadvantages, so I would research some of the drawbacks and advantages of each and decide if a combo would meet your needs better than a halfstack. Off the top of my head, halfstacks are harder to move and deal with than a combo (unless you are talking about some 4x12 combos, those can be a bitch) and are generally more expensive. They can sound fuller as they do move more air. You can also fine tune your sound a bit more with different speaker combonations. The sound differences between a 1x12, 2x12 and 4x12 are not nearly as noticable as the type of amp you have, so I would figure out what type of tones you are going for and then figure out your options between head/2x12, head/4x12 or 1-4x12 combos. Do not make the mistake of focusing on a halfstack and buying a crappy amp just because it is a halfstack.

Also, will you need this for bedroom playing or gigging? Do you have a practice studio you can leave your amp at, becasue if you have to lug a halfstack to a practice studio a couple times a week, you will probably be better off with a combo. If you are just playing by yourself in a bedroom a halfstack is OK, but probably wont sound as good as a combo at bedroom volumes.

Many people prefer the look of a halfstack, but remember, much of the music you listen to was recorded on combos. So tell us the bands that have the tones you want to play, and if you are willing to go used (I highly recommend used) and we can give suggestions of amps.
^^^
they make 4x12 combo's?
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Quote by Carrot
^^^
they make 4x12 combo's?

I've never seen a 4x12, I've seen a lot of 4x10s though, I'm sure a 4x12 combo exists somewhere
Quote by eberg2
I've never seen a 4x12, I've seen a lot of 4x10s though, I'm sure a 4x12 combo exists somewhere

I think Fender had one... I think.

Saw it in guitar world early this year.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by TimmyP

LOL if you get to the point where your speakers are "breaking up" they you got problems buddy
Quote by TimmyP

sorry to highjack on yout thread :

can i ask a question : if i have for example a 40 watts into a 4x12 .. then each speaker received 10 watts ??? is that how it his count ???

so what your saying is that a 3 watts tube amp would sound better through a 1x12 than a 4x12 because 1 speaker would handle all the 3 watts and not 0.75 watts x 4 into a 4x12 . and .0.75 watt is not enough for the speaker to "break up" or "open up " .

sorry im not very familiar with wattage but i was wondering when i had my 2 watt tube amp why the guy said it would be better through 1x12 and not my 4x12 .

not i think it make sense .. cause i was sending .50 watts into a 12 inch speaker and thats probably not enough to make it "open up , or break up " . i always though a 4x12 was superior to a 1x12 but now i think it would make more sense for me to have a 1x12 than a 4x12 since im playing at low volume .

bottom line : its better to send 4 watt into a single 12 inch .. than 1.00 watt each of 4 speakers of a 4x12 cab ??

???

thx .

so maybe i need a combo after all
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Last edited by Skysc at Nov 8, 2009,
The line 6 valve mk 2 is one of the best heads I've ever played, and sounds great at low volumes, also really easy to dial in. I'd so go for that if you like the sound. Most of the crate stacks i've tried have sounded rather sterile to me.

If you're looking for higher end stuff, I'd say go for a 6505 or one of the JCM's used with a 1960A cab if you can find one, if not an orange cab, if you can only go store bought, bugera cabs are pretty cheap and sound beautiful with both a 6505 head or 900 head.
Quote by AxSilentxLine
^ please trust me, speaker headroom is a GOOD thing

ok but im talking about really low wattage like 2 watt or 3 watt tube .. is there a minimum for a speaker to open up ??? 0.75 watt into a gt12-75 is probably not enough to make it open .. so it would be better to have 1 single gt12-75 than 4 so it can handle 2-3 watts.

i remeber reaidng than under 1 watt for a vintage 30 or a gt12-75 ... the speaker doesnt "open up "

im talking more about bedroom level here .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
for an amp that low you wouldn't need a 4x12 a 1x12 would be fine maybe a 2x12 if you want that's not to say that you can't play a 5W amp through a 300W rated 4x12 provided the impedance matches. I play my friend's Tiny Terror through my Engl 4x12 all the time and it sounds great you don't need to worry about "driving the speakers"
Quad reverb is a 4x12 combo...

But seriously - find a used jcm800 or 900, vox ac50, fender supersonic, etc...
There are about eleventy bazillion more good options, but I'm spacing...
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.