My pedalboard is growing at a ridiculous rate, and I'm wondering if there's a way I can use a laptop for VST effects live. Is there some sort of interface where I can plug in my guitar, use effects on the laptop, then run it out to my amp? Can I use a MIDI foot controller to change patches as well?

Just to clarify, I'm not talking amp models here, I'm thinking more along the lines of Max/MSP and stuff.

Any help is appreciated.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Buy a small audio interface and you can change patches with MIDI controllers indeed.
Quote by King Krapp
Once, I had just finished, and my dad knocks, walks in, and says "Wow, smells like chicken in here."
Which one in particular? Do they usually have outputs that I can use to send the signal to my amp?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Yeah, it's (usually) all the same as your guitar and amp. Native Instruments sells a very simple interface for Guitar Rig, it has a single input and a single output and there's also of course Line 6.

I recommend to look up some interfaces which match your preferences and budget and then compare reviews and if possible: test them. Look at the quality of AD/DA converters, latency etc.
Quote by King Krapp
Once, I had just finished, and my dad knocks, walks in, and says "Wow, smells like chicken in here."
I did this for a while with my UX2.
The only downside was it didn't have midi changeability.