Hi guys. I've been playing guitar for nearly 4 months now. I have nearnt quite a few songs over ultimate guitar, and a few in my guitar lessons, and i can safely say im improving over a slow but sure pace. However, there is still on thing which makes me itch, chords. I can do power chords, no problem, but what really confuses me, is how you remember the other chords, as well as their names and which ones fit well together. Any help will be most appreciated.
It just takes practice. Start with A, D and E so you can play some three chord songs and blues by changing them to A7, D7 and E7. Learn the 12 bar blues structure and the A minor pentatonic scale.

Learn C, Dm, Em, F, G, Am and Bdim to play in the key of C.
12 bar blues was the first song i learned in my lessons. what really rattles me is all the names of the chords, where they are on the neck, and how to remember where they are lol. any suggestions or web sources?
Just learn the basic A,C,D,E,G,Am,Dm,Em first. With just those chords you can play hundreds of songs already so find some songs that you like using those chords and learn them. Then once you can play the chords smoothly learn the rest like Bm, F, Gm etc and then barre chords.
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
learn the open major, minor and 7th shapes, these become movable by turning them into barre chords. even the movable 5th shape you know has a open variant/s

going through the open shapes ABCDEFG in that order will also reinforce the names very quickly in you head. (do the same for the minors, sevenths, etc)
ok guys. here's my plan of action from what i've heard. I'm going to do wat one of you mentioned, and learn the major, minor and 7th chords to each note of ABCDEF and G. One question. Is a major chord the same as the normal chord (example, when someone sez a G chord, is that also G major?) Oh, and does anyone know a way to know which chords fit well together?
Quote by dragozan
ok guys. here's my plan of action from what i've heard. I'm going to do wat one of you mentioned, and learn the major, minor and 7th chords to each note of ABCDEF and G. One question. Is a major chord the same as the normal chord (example, when someone sez a G chord, is that also G major?) Oh, and does anyone know a way to know which chords fit well together?

Yes

try a I IV V trick count from the start chord (that`s how 3 chords and the truth was developed) you`ll develop more progressions if you learn some theory and use your ears.

A D E

G C D etc.

play with a spanish sounding E F G F E progression......

don`t overload yourself at first get comfortable with the switching between and naming chords it`s not a race to learn everything but a adventure trying to.
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Nov 8, 2009,
thank you very much ibanez god. I hope i can get these chords nailed. It's just the theory which gets to me lol. I'm a perfectionist, so i like to know how all the music works, so i can get the sounds i want, instead of strumming, and seeing if it works lol

P.S Ibanez are indeed the best guitars lol. I own a GAX30 TR myself