Not sure exactly what the problem is, but after i tune the string open it sounds fine but when i actually fret something its way off.

i think its the intonation or something ive been hearing about?

i have an epiphone les paul special II how would i fix this?

EDIT: and its mostly on the high e if that matters
haha actually i need to get around to that would that be the problem?

its been like 2-3 months
hmm it might be the problem... Try changing them, if the problem continues, take a few pictures of the neck of your guitar and post em' here, then we can tell you if the neck needs adjusting
try cleaning your strings, use a dry cloth and drag it over the top and under the strings or use fast fret(string cleaner)

to intonate the guitar you need to move the saddles either backwards or forwards depending on whether the 12th fret harmonic is shar or flat when compared wth the 12th fret fretted note. (in depth tutorial in the setup sticky thread)
Are you using a guitar with a floyd rose tremelo? Because that could be the issue...

EDIT: Nevermind, I saw that he said it's an epiphone les paul Special, lol. Well Idk what the "Special" means, but there are both gibson and epiphone les pauls that have bigsby tremelo's, so if that's what the "special" part is then maybe it's that. Or your truss rod might be messed up. idk...never happened to me lol
Last edited by Nirvana00125 at Nov 8, 2009,
Quote by Nirvana00125
Are you using a guitar with a floyd rose tremelo? Because that could be the issue...

read the OP (epi lp special)
last time i checked epihpone les paul specials dont come with floyd rose systems lol

the harmonic does sound a little off ill fix that then change the strings and ill see if that helps
It could be your strings but since you don't seem to have a vibrato on the guitar I don't think it would be unless you tune above standard often. Strings can last a while intonation wise as long as you don't go up in pitch with a vibrato. Anyway, What I think you need to do is replace the strings, Set the neck straightness and action, Then set the intonation since it sounds like you haven't set the guitar up.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Quote by ibanezgod1973

to intonate the guitar you need to move the saddles either backwards or forwards depending on whether the 12th fret harmonic is shar or flat when compared wth the 12th fret fretted note. (in depth tutorial in the setup sticky thread)

dont try to doi ureself if u dont know what ure doing tho. take it to a shop and have some1 do it properly for you.

it prob is the intonation. i have the same problems.

and its special coz they cost sod all to make! they are an entry level guitar and the quality isnt great. the cost hardly anything.

BTW they dont have a FR, bigsby, or any other type or make of tremelo

hope it helps
Tokai SG in Ebony

Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top with Honeyburst Finish

Vox ValveTronix 15

Dunlop Crybaby Wah

Quote by 3volved
I'm a 'single-cut slut'...gotta go with the EC-1000.
Quote by iamflipbaby
dont try to doi ureself if u dont know what ure doing tho. take it to a shop and have some1 do it properly for you.

and its special coz they cost sod all to make! they are an entry level guitar and the quality isnt great. the cost hardly anything.

hope it helps

why quote me, i gave him the outline of whats involved `cos why repeat something that`s already said in another thread (i know what i`m doing btw)
Quote by iamflipbaby

hope it helps

Wtf I thought 9 year olds weren't allowed to register here

Oh and to TS, change your strings and check intonation after.
first of all i wasnt saying that u didnt know what u r doing, that was aimed at the guy who asked about intonation. and if u dont know what ure doing its prob best to get some1 who does to do it.

Quote by darkcheef
Wtf I thought 9 year olds weren't allowed to register here

do u wish i was 9? is tht what ure into? woteva works for u man!
Tokai SG in Ebony

Vox ValveTronix 15

Dunlop Crybaby Wah

Quote by 3volved
Quote by iamflipbaby

do u wish i was 9? is tht what ure into? woteva works for u man!

Learn how to spell, then you could try to make a joke
Quote by darkcheef

Learn how to spell, then you could try to make a joke

is that the best comeback you could come up with? oh no hit me where it hurts! my spelling skills!
Tokai SG in Ebony

Vox ValveTronix 15

Dunlop Crybaby Wah

Quote by 3volved
Quote by iamflipbaby
is that the best comeback you could come up with? oh no hit me where it hurts! my spelling skills!

leks mez kno, mah cunbik sleelz iz teh sux
lol! ure funny
Tokai SG in Ebony

Vox ValveTronix 15

Dunlop Crybaby Wah

Quote by 3volved
can we just shake hands instead? lol
Tokai SG in Ebony

Vox ValveTronix 15

Dunlop Crybaby Wah

Quote by 3volved
check action (string height, adjusted at the bridge) too. Having your bridge too high will affect your scale length minutely, but perhaps enough to throw off your intonation.
Quote by iamflipbaby

Uh, It IS nice to know how it sounds when intonated properly but I would recommend learning how to intonate a guitar first, it doesn't cost anything except for time.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
i got an unrelated question about the epiphone LP special 2
how do u do the killswitch like buckethead or tom morello?
i know ur supposed to set one volume to 10 and the other to 0, but it doesnt work
any help???
I GOT A LES PAUL YAY!!!
Quote by TheKop
i got an unrelated question about the epiphone LP special 2
how do u do the killswitch like buckethead or tom morello?
i know ur supposed to set one volume to 10 and the other to 0, but it doesnt work
any help???

the answer is you cant unless you rewire it. theres only one volume and one tone. :/