It's stock at the moment.
My first upgrade will be the bridge humbucker(Irongear hammerhead or GFS powerrails)

Now I'm the kind of guy who likes to improve and personalize stuff....

What should my next upgrade after PU be?

Some pics of my guitar:

Yamaha RGZ612 w IronGear Steam Hammer Bridge PU
Zoom 505.

Just an happy amature playing for the love of it.
Clean that fretboard and get a full setup with fret leveling and dressing. Well worth the price of a couple of pickups. Then replace those single coils which, if they are original Yamaha ones, will sound really puny against the 'bucker you install. I'm not an electrics tech, so I'll leave those that are to advise on new pots and caps.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

fret leveling and dressing

Please explain what this is.
Zoom 505.

After listening to the soundclips on the IronGear website I now have 3 options:

1. IronGear Hammerhead ($53 shipped)
2. - " - Hot slag ($48 shipped)
3. GFS powerrails ($50 shipped, $62 if it gets stuck in customs since I'd buy it outside EU)

This would be an upgrade to my stock bridge PU (passive Yamaha, I know the listed ones are passive aswell)

As I've said, I play metal like Pantera, metallica etc etc.
Which of the above should I get?
Zoom 505.

^ which ever sounds better to you.

Fret levelling and dressing is getting the frets all perfectly level so that it plays better, there's no string buzz and you can go real low with the action.
Quote by guitarcam123
^ which ever sounds better to you.

Fret levelling and dressing is getting the frets all perfectly level so that it plays better, there's no string buzz and you can go real low with the action.

Ok, the action is low as it is and the guitar feels good to play on.

After listening some more I think the IronGear steam hammer sounds better for my kind of music, didn't really find any good soundclips on the hammer head but it's supposed to be a notch or two better....

Cleaning the fret might not be a bad idea, and I'm also going to get intonation set perfectly(can't do it myself).

I'll also replace the pots when I install the new PU, 500k log(vol) and 500k lin (tone, two of these).

I wonder if changing the wiring would be benefitial? I've got 99,99etc pure silverwire and PTFE(teflon) tubing for insulation at home that I use for hifi-builds.

And finally: When I can afford to get middle and neck PU's replaced....would these be good for the job and will the fit my guitar? IronGear Jailhouse Rail
Zoom 505.

imo if ur already going to change the pots and wiring get something like this:
Treble Bleed
Orange Drops

they actually help with tone and pot sensitivity and u can hear the difference. Search ur electronics shop or something for these or email the guy, he'll help you with choosing the stuff.
repaint the body?
Peavey Bandit 112
Washburn Chicago series :SD Invader at bridge ,GFS Lil Killer on neck
Bc Rich Warlock :GFS Vintage59 on neck ,Crunchy rails on bridge
Epiphone SG :Tusq Nut, GFS Crunchy Pat on neck, bc rich pickup on bridge
lots of cheap pedals
Might do the treble bleed(have several thousand resistors and capacitors, so I'd only need to know what values etc to use) and the orange drops(though I have 0,1uF PIO caps at home allready and will probably use them).

Don't think I'll repaint the body, all that matters to me is how the guitar feels and sounds.

Edit:

I wonder what the difference is between the RGZ612 and the RGZ612P?

A new RGZ612P goes for $550 + shipping on ebay.

RGZ612P

Edit 2:

I'm thinking of ordering the STKIT01 wiring kit (as it contains pots and everything) when I order the steam hammer PU(almost 100% that's the one I'll buy)

Edit 3:
Would this fit my yamaha neck? Ibanez body . This way I'd get space for 2 humbuckers...
Zoom 505.

Last edited by lukane at Nov 12, 2009,
Just a few days until I place my order for a bridge PU(IronGear Steam Hammer or Hammer head, still haven't decided) and the wiring-kit incl pots etc..

Next month I'll probably replace the stock Yamaha single coils in middle and neck.

What do you guys think of these(Guess it would be more or less like having 3 humbuckers?) IronGear Jailhouse Rail

Or would you suggest some other PU's?
Zoom 505.

Just ordered an IronGear Steam Hammer bridge PU, wiring and pots

EDIT:

What would you guys recommend to replace the stock Yamaha singlecoils?
Something that fits my music and the IronGear Steam Hammer Bridge PU.
Zoom 505.

Last edited by lukane at Nov 19, 2009,
Thinking of getting some vinyls for the fretboard...will this in any way harm the fretboard/change the feel of it?

Give me some advice here guys.
Zoom 505.