Poll: Awesome or overrated?
Poll Options
View poll results: Awesome or overrated?
Awesome
25 74%
Overrated
9 26%
Voters: 34.
So, I've never played with an eBow before and I keep hearing mixed signals about them and I thought I'd ask a source I can trust. So UG, what do YOU think?
Never used one before, but I'd be interested in hearing some opinions as well. Seems like I could make some pretty sweet sounds with it, but I could see how it would be overrated
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Theyre very cool toys no doubt, although their use is a bit limited. Still, theyre pretty cheap and theyre a lot easier and cleaner to use than a real bow even though they have a one sting limitation
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
i had one. dropped it on the ground. it broke. got another one. someone stole it. it does what its supposed to do ill give it that. awesome for psychedelic and ethereal sounds. if it sounds like youd be into it you probably will be.
Peter Frampton: "Homer Simpson wrecks my pig, Cypress Hill steals my orchestra.... and Sonic Youth is in my cooler! Get outta there you kids!"

Thurston Moore: "Come on Mr. Frampton... you're not gonna eat all that watermelon..."
A friend of mine runs a guitar shop, he's got a few. They've very limited use, and they're often hard to use.

I'd go with overrated. A neat toy, but not any moreso than a BOSS pedal with an uncommon effect or something.
LOTS of fun. I own one. it's a great toy. especially for cool intro's and things but very impractical during a song.
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
I personally think it's pretty awesome - I like when it's used as a texture or melody in a song - think U2's "With or Without You", the Smashing Pumpkins "Perfect".

Smashing Pumpkins' makes a lot of good use of the Ebow, actually - The multitracked guitar feedback orchestra before the bridge of "Here Is No Why" is a good example, as is the whole of "In The Arms of Sleep", "Stand Inside Your Love" has a whole Ebow solo, etc.

It's fun to use and you can definitely get cool sounds out of it, but used only by itself, it can get old. I use it with lots of different effects - tremolo, delays, immense reverbs, loopers, etc. It's more a tool than an actual effect.
Quote by x7shadesofblack
I personally think it's pretty awesome - I like when it's used as a texture or melody in a song - think U2's "With or Without You", the Smashing Pumpkins "Perfect".

Smashing Pumpkins' makes a lot of good use of the Ebow, actually - The multitracked guitar feedback orchestra before the bridge of "Here Is No Why" is a good example, as is the whole of "In The Arms of Sleep", "Stand Inside Your Love" has a whole Ebow solo, etc.

It's fun to use and you can definitely get cool sounds out of it, but used only by itself, it can get old. I use it with lots of different effects - tremolo, delays, immense reverbs, loopers, etc. It's more a tool than an actual effect.

Isn't the beginning of "Soma" a multi-track eBow on acoustic guitar?

(Thanks guys, just thanks. Just when I thought I didn't need to buy anything else...)
Quote by BobDetroit
Isn't the beginning of "Soma" a multi-track eBow on acoustic guitar?

(Thanks guys, just thanks. Just when I thought I didn't need to buy anything else...)

Um, it might have some Ebow on it, but if it is it's not prominent, and it'd be on electric... the only Ebow on acoustic that I can think of that's readily recognizable is the beginning of Pink Floyd's "Take it Back"
Hm, like I said, I'm sure there's EBow on there somewhere - it's a really densely layered song - I'm thinking the feedback just before the end, perhaps? meh. lol
I really like eBows. Used sparingly their a great way to mix things up.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Pretty awesome in terms of applications.

However, its scope of use is pretty limited. Also I find it a very sensitive piece of "gear" to use. Angle the unit wrong, it doesn't work.
Too close to the string, it doesn't work.
Too close to the sting, it doesn't work.
Too far from your pickup, the signal is weakened.
Too close to your pickup, the signal is over-powering.

In short, its a damned hard piece of gear to use. Used properly and sparingly, its pretty awesome in terms of effects. However, the effort required to learn to use it properly is immense.

Kinda pointless for metal, but for the trippy stuff or ambient sounds, I think nothing else can compare to what the ebow does.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Completely obsolete now, the Fernandes Sustainer does the job a hell of a lot better.

And if you really love this kind of thing, the Moog Guitar is a worthy investment.
Quote by kyle62
Completely obsolete now, the Fernandes Sustainer does the job a hell of a lot better.

And if you really love this kind of thing, the Moog Guitar is a worthy investment.

the fernandes sustainer is very, very different to the ebow. i mean, don't get me wrong, for some applications the fernandes does what the ebow does better, but there are a lot of interesting things the ebow can do that you will not be able to do with the fernandes unit.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.