I play a Dean Flying V through a BOSS OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion pedal, and an Acoustic 100 Watt amp.

I guess in an effort to get a more "pro" sound, I'm coming here.
When listening to most of my bands, I can't tell if they're even using bass distortion, which begs the question: Is it even worth it?

I've noticed when I play with my band, and I turn on my distortion, I almost lose track of my sound. But, at the same time, I'm drawn to turning it on, especially if I'm just playing along with a song by myself.

So, you know, kinda discuss this with me. What's your opinion on Metal/Metalcore distortion, which is for the most part straight up rhythm.
I'm not gonna lie. It will be hard to get a good tone with that bass
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Usually, you discover undistinctive metal bassists not being audible at all except for a part when the guitars cut out, and then you notice they have some distortion on.

There's a place for bass distortion, and metal isn't one of them, TBH. You can barely hear Cliff Burton ever and we all know what he was like...
As far as I know metalcore bass is almost always done without distortion, or at least with only mild overdrive.
If music was the food of love I'd be a fat romantic slob.
Quote by veageta8
I play a Dean Flying V through a BOSS OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion pedal,

Well there's your problem right there. Most guitar distortions absolutely kill your low end, and I doubt that one is an exception. Grab one made for bass. The Ibanez PD-7 works well, and doesn't pull you out of the mix.

Also, if you're scooping(cutting) your mids like many people do, that'll kill your presence as well.

edit: I might add that, depending on which Flying V bass you have, it may very well have thunderbird-style electronics, which are muddy as hell. What do your electronics look like?
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Nov 8, 2009,
Quote by Mutant Corn
I might add that, depending on which Flying V bass you have, it may very well have thunderbird-style electronics, which are muddy as hell. What do your electronics look like?

This right here. Which V bass do you have? Because a pup upgrade might help if yours are particularly muddy.

On the subject of distortion, if you really want to use it, use a bass distortion pedal (a guitar one, like Mutant Corn said will kill your low end). Also, its best to use it very sparingly/carefully, to just distort your tone a little bit. You don't need a screaming overdrive like a guitar.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
As for my pedal being guitar, I went into both of my local guitar shops and asked specifically for a particular bass pedal, which they didn't have. They both suggested the same pedal, so I figured that'd be fine. I like it for the most part.
The bass, I believe is a Metalman. It's not high end, cost me 200 bucks. I bought it mainly for the price and pickup at the bridge.

Quote by Steve08
Usually, you discover undistinctive metal bassists not being audible at all except for a part when the guitars cut out, and then you notice they have some distortion on.

There's a place for bass distortion, and metal isn't one of them, TBH. You can barely hear Cliff Burton ever and we all know what he was like...

That's pretty much the conclusion I was slowly coming to.
Quote by veageta8
As for my pedal being guitar, I went into both of my local guitar shops and asked specifically for a particular bass pedal, which they didn't have. They both suggested the same pedal, so I figured that'd be fine. I like it for the most part.
The bass, I believe is a Metalman. It's not high end, cost me 200 bucks. I bought it mainly for the price and pickup at the bridge.

That's pretty much the conclusion I was slowly coming to.
You should probably ditch the Boss pedal and get the Ibanez PD-7 like Corn suggested. It sounds quite nice IMO and it's like, what, 50 bucks?
Quote by Steve08
You should probably ditch the Boss pedal and get the Ibanez PD-7 like Corn suggested. It sounds quite nice IMO and it's like, what, 50 bucks?

Wow if it's that cheap, no doubt I'll look into it. The BOSS ran me 80.
Honestly, I'd upgrade your whole rig. If it were me, I'd ditch the distortion, get some sort of overdrive, and only use it sparingly. I'm not sure what your options are, or your budget for that matter.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Ditch the Dean, get a new pedal, get a higher watt amp(same brand is fine).

Fuck that - I want a bass amp that can suck dick! Where do you find such a thing