quick idea for you guys ?

i just got an old ibanez gio with a hartail bridge.

would it be okay to cut out the neck pocket alittle bit to fit a 7 string neck, and cut out pickup cavitys a bit. then get a 7 string bridge for it and jsut drill a ew string hole
Quote by SavageCustomSHP

would it be okay to cut out the neck pocket alittle bit to fit a 7 string neck, and cut out pickup cavitys a bit. then get a 7 string bridge for it and jsut drill a ew string hole

im also going to sand it down and repaint it, so dont worry about that
You'd also need a new neck with 7 tuner holes, a new nut, a new fretboard wide enough for 7 strings, its really not worth it imo
Impossible is Nothing
It's possible. Make sure the neck is the same scale length (if you keep the bridge in the same spot). I'd just get a new 7 string myself.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

Quote by solomon684
You'd also need a new neck with 7 tuner holes, a new nut, a new fretboard wide enough for 7 strings, its really not worth it imo

i got body free, so id buy a new neck anyway. as specified
Quote by SavageCustomSHP

You could just buy a cheap Ibanez 7 string.
Main Gear:

ESP Eclipse CTM I
Dean 'Shards' Razorback
Chapman Guitars ML-1
Ibanez AEL40SE Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Stack
EHX Metal Muff
EHX Small Clone
You could do it. Just know going into it that it won't be the most economic or stress-free route, but if you're feeling up to it then I say go for it. If you have any questions you can ask myself or any of the other GB&Cers who's life revolves around guitars. We'll be glad to help.

Cheers and good luck!
RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan
February 10, 1981 - December 28, 2009

My YouTube account:
Savage Redemption

My personal gear:
Schecter Omen-6

Questions? IM me (check my profile)

Just call me Zach
Friend Me!
It really isnt worth it, tbh. I mean, u can do it. It'll take alot of time, energy, effort, and money, but if you're ADAMANT on converting a 6-string to a 7- string, all the power to you.

Just know:
- You'll need a 7 string neck
- you'll need to widen the neck pocket
- you'll need a new bridge
- you'll need 7 string pickups
- 7 tuners
- the strings, of course
- with the lower frequencies of the low B string, i'd recommend some good tone and volume knobs (at LEAST 500K pots, if not more. correct me if i'm wrong on this, btw)
- and you'll need to drill out and route out a good bit of the body in order to do all of that. In the end, I think u'd be MUCH better off just getting a cheep ibanez or shecter or something. But if you wanna waste your money getting all the parts and tools to upgrade this guitar so that you MIGHT, in the end, have a 7 string, that isnt even guaranteed to sound good (one wrong move and u're screwed), go ahead and be my guest.

The best of luck, my friend!
"its true that we dont know what weve got untill we loose it but its also true that we dont know what weve been missing until it arrives"
Quote by 3BlindMyceZeke
This is amazing advice. You sir, Mr.LeadGuitar, are the god of the Bandleading forum.

In Rhode Island? Join!
It's ten times the pain of just buying a cheap 7. Look on ebay, Ibby 7321's go for less than 200. I almost scored one for $126, got outbid last minute ...
Gear:
Schecter 006 Elite
Dean VX
Some Memphis 3/4th Strat copy
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60w