guys...ive recently started working on original material...but the pace is slow because im on my own...our bass player left and drummer kinda busy

anyway i realized i need something to record with so i can make my own bass and guitar tracks and have some sort of crude recordings of how the songs will sound like,it will also make the writing process easier cuz i dont have a bassist or a second guitarist to help me out

is there some computer program or anything that i can use to record tracks,edit them record over them...etc?
it doesnt have to be high quality or anything...just something i could record with through the computer and make some sort of crude recording

thanks in advance!
Audacity.
Although if you're doing that, i'd advise getting a USB interface just so it doesnt sound like complete crap
audacity makes one track i think...i want something to make multiple tracks over each other,like bass,guitar 1,guitar 2 ,etc....and where can i get a USB interface??
isnt there another program?
I use reaper (as do quite a few people round here) and I love it...serves you well from basics right up to pro levels, I think there's even a guy on here who uses it in his proper studio!

But yeah, check reaper out...it's free to start with, and I think you can keep using it after the evaluation period anyway, but I would urge you to buy a license, best $60 I ever spent!

It also comes with a load of free VSTs which are pretty good and supports anything you throw at it!
Guitars: PRS Custom 24, PRS EG3, PRS Santana SE, PRS Tremonti SE, ESP-LTD M-200FM

Acoustics: Maton EM225C, Washburn WD-42S, Ovation Tangent

Amps: Peavey 5150 Mk 1, Randall V2, Marshall JCM2000 DSL100

Cab: Framus FR212
Quote by idiotbox919
I use reaper (as do quite a few people round here) and I love it...serves you well from basics right up to pro levels, I think there's even a guy on here who uses it in his proper studio!

But yeah, check reaper out...it's free to start with, and I think you can keep using it after the evaluation period anyway, but I would urge you to buy a license, best $60 I ever spent!

It also comes with a load of free VSTs which are pretty good and supports anything you throw at it!

This.

Audacity is for people at a very amateur level, Reaper can take newbies all the way up to pro's and ideally you want to start on the platform that is more geared at professionalism early on, not the one that is later missing essential features.

If you want good quality for relatively cheap get an audio interface with a 1/4 jack input - doesnt have to be anything big - a toneport gx (or whatever line 6 are calling it now) will suffice and you can later learn to use amp sims and impulses for semi-pro sounds in the box.
Quote by Beefmo
This.

Audacity is for people at a very amateur level, Reaper can take newbies all the way up to pro's and ideally you want to start on the platform that is more geared at professionalism early on, not the one that is later missing essential features.

If you want good quality for relatively cheap get an audio interface with a 1/4 jack input - doesnt have to be anything big - a toneport gx (or whatever line 6 are calling it now) will suffice and you can later learn to use amp sims and impulses for semi-pro sounds in the box.

First time anyone's ever quoted me for being right!

This is such a proud moment for me

Also, in case you were wondering, I'm pretty sure CatharsisStudios is the pro guy who uses Reaper (definately pro, pretty sure he uses Reaper)
Guitars: PRS Custom 24, PRS EG3, PRS Santana SE, PRS Tremonti SE, ESP-LTD M-200FM

Acoustics: Maton EM225C, Washburn WD-42S, Ovation Tangent

Amps: Peavey 5150 Mk 1, Randall V2, Marshall JCM2000 DSL100

Cab: Framus FR212
Audacity won't be a great program. Reaper has a trial that goes far beyond. Im on day 70-something of 30 and it still works. (sorry haven't been able to buy it yer).

I recommend you to get an interface (100$) and use www.acmebargig.com's software and you'll be supriced how you got that awesome sound out of 100 bucks.
Last edited by GisleAune at Nov 9, 2009,