Do you guys have any tips on how to transcribe chord voicing by ear. Listening to songs I can usually pick out the root of a chord and whether it is major or minor, but I have a lot of trouble hearing color tones and the specific voicing.
lots and lots of practice
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic
I can only speak for myself on this. I can usually pick up what chords are being used in a song just by listening to it but you may have a hard time with this depending on how good your ear is. I guess the question I have for you is this...when you learn music, do you learn it by ear or do you read music? Best wishes on this(and affording the guitar of your dreams)! Peace and Love to you!
First try to identify the bass note that's being played. Then, judging the sound of the chord, you should know if it's major, minor or suspended. Then the 7, 9, 11 etc are just colors, you play each one of them and see what really fits to what you're hearing.

It works for me. Also, this is a good way to find really unusual but interesting chords and I usually transcribe the ones that may not be exactly the same as the tape, but sound more pleasant and unique to that particular moment in the song.
Sometimes if I can figure out what type of chord it is, but not which voicing I try to pick out individual notes.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
As far as voicing is concerned, you really have to know the musician in a lot of cases. Musicians often have favored voicings, so if you figure them out for one song, you can normally apply that knowledge to other pieces by them.

It also helps to know all the basic barre shapes. If you can identify the sound of the barres, as well as the tone of the open chords, you ought to be well on your way to working out most rock music.
Quote by brownsfan456
Anything is possible with music which is sooo awesome

Quote by metal4all

I just learn the formula, apply it to a key, and use said notes on fretboard. Why? Cuz I'm not a pussy.
Unless you're in a situation where you have to immediately repeat what's being played....just take a guess.

If you already know the basic chord, just try out the different variations to see which one sounds right.
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ