Page 1 of 2
Alright, so i have a Gibson Les paul Studio in wine red with nickel hardware. its a beutifull guitar but i am interested in getting more of a progressive metal sound out of it... and it will give me strickly a ROCK sound. im thinking about swapping out the pickups to some dimarzios.
I want a bridge pickup that will let me play heavy riffs with a progressive sortof smoothness. as well as a neck pickup that will give me progressive rock tone

what pickups would you reccomend from dimarzio?.
do you think i should leave the stock pickups.
do you think it would ruin the asthetic of the guitar (im thinking about getting sum black hardware as well)
The amp im using is a Marshall JCM 2000 TSL602
Last edited by zappmi35 at Nov 8, 2009,
What amp are you playing out of? If it's something worth upgrading, you should change your amp first, as that's going to make a bigger difference than pickups.

If the amp is good, then it sounds like you just want something a little hotter for pickups.

As far as DiMarzios go, these are probably what you should look into.
Bridge: Super Distortion, Super 3, D-Sonic, Crunch Lab
Neck: PAF Pro, Air Norton

A Duncan Distortion/59, or JB/59 would also be options to consider.

And if you have a big budget, people are going to recommend you something else, lol.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Last edited by FlightofIcarus at Nov 8, 2009,
I have a Les Paul as well. I did lots of homework on the pickups and decided on the DiMarzio Evolution.

This thing is HOT. I have had EMG's and other various brand name pickups, and personally I think this is one of the best.
I am DEFINATLY not on a big budget XD i will buy 1000 dollar pickups (if they exist) if they'll give me the best tone for my les paul. Im just saying dimarzios because i like the darker sortof sound they have. opposed to seymore duncans bright sound.
Seymour Duncan Distortion/59 set.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I like those pickups im gunna wait for other ppls oppinions. It doesnt NEED to be dimarzio if ther is something better by another brand i will be getting that ...
im a little OCD in the sense that colours need to go with my guitar. so will not buy something with blackend screws even if they give me the best sound immaginable. i need black with silver screws... and idk how good those chrome ones look... BTW f-spaced = fender spaced= wont work on gibson :P
^We know that. We aren't stupid.

Every pickup Dimarzio makes comes in regular and F-spaced options.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by zappmi35
im a little OCD in the sense that colours need to go with my guitar. so will not buy something with blackend screws even if they give me the best sound immaginable. i need black with silver screws... and idk how good those chrome ones look... BTW f-spaced = fender spaced= wont work on gibson :P
yes it will, gibson does not use the same original string spacing that they used to. your guitar is obviously not a vintage les paul, unless you replaced it, then it has a normal stock Nashville bridge.

Really it doesn't matter much at all, gibson's stock bridge pickups that come in les paul studios have wider string spacing than the original "gibson spacing" anyway.

Chrome covers should look just fine on your guitar if it has chrome plated hardware (which it most likely does unless you changed it all out as studios do not come with nickel hardware stock).

Anyway, I suggest Wolfetone Marshallheads. If you are playing metal, you probably have a high gain amp, and if you have a high gain amp, you don't need super high output pickups. Marshallheads are really the best hard rock pickup I've heard in les pauls.
Last edited by al112987 at Nov 8, 2009,
Quote by al112987
yes it will, gibson does not use the same original string spacing that they used to. your guitar is obviously not a vintage les paul, unless you replaced it, then it has a normal stock Nashville bridge.

Really it doesn't matter much at all, gibson's stock bridge pickups that come in les paul studios have wider string spacing than the original "gibson spacing" anyway.

Chrome covers should look just fine on your guitar if it has chrome plated hardware (which it most likely does unless you changed it all out as studios do not come with nickel hardware stock).

Anyway, I suggest Wolfetone Marshallheads. If you are playing metal, you probably have a high gain amp, and if you have a high gain amp, you don't need super high output pickups. Marshallheads are really the best hard rock pickup I've heard in les pauls.

actually like i said i was gunna get black hardware eventually anyways. so it should work just fine. im more worried about putting f-spaced if my guitar does not use f-spaced... to be honest im not really an expert on guitar. i started playing about 5 months ago and started learning songs about 3 months ago. and im JUST starting to develop some sort of skill.. and ya im learning :P so...
Last edited by zappmi35 at Nov 8, 2009,
Quote by zappmi35

The chrome is slick. Super shiny and worth every penny. The F-spaced are optional. You choose which ones you want when you order.
there's virtually no difference (sonically) between f-spaced and regular spaced. The general consensus is to get whichever you guitar uses if it's available, because it'll look a bit better. If you happen to find a sweet deal on a used pickup but it's the 'wrong' spacing, don't sweat it, it doesn't matter.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
dude im really taking into consideration those pickups ... could send me a pic
there are tons of pickup options for a les paul. you want a rock sound? you could go with gibson burstbuckers or the 57 classics. you could go with a seymour duncan JB/59 combo or 59/59 in both bridge and neck. you could go with dimarzio PAF. the great thing about les pauls is that they sound spectacular with many different kinds of pickups in them. I personally like the Seymour Duncan Alnico II pros in both neck and bridge. low output pickups for a very smooth sound.
uhm i sayed i wanted sort of a progressive metal sound. not too gainy like emgs but definatly not smooth. in the bridge pickup i i want something a little more heavy like a john petrucci sound. and in the neck some sortof steve vai sound but a tiny bit bitier.
A) Sell your Marshall
B) Get a Mesa Recto, Mark X, ect.
C) See how much better you sound
Gear :

Ibanez RG2570 (has yet to post pics)
Crap Wal-Mart guitar that came in a 70 buck starters pack.
Marshall MG15, I know
Quote by fishermanbob
A) Sell your Marshall
B) Get a Mesa Recto, Mark X, ect.
C) See how much better you sound

well the jcm 2000 isn't that bad, but I agree that there are better amps out there. I personally like orange and budda amps. never been a huge fan of Mesas, but everyone has their own preferences.
I thought F-spaced meant Floyd Rose spaced?

People always say different things.
Quote by ghiyath
well the jcm 2000 isn't that bad, but I agree that there are better amps out there. I personally like orange and budda amps. never been a huge fan of Mesas, but everyone has their own preferences.

Well, I know Mesas are favored by prog bands (DT, BTBAM, ABR)
So it could be a start
Gear :

Ibanez RG2570 (has yet to post pics)
Crap Wal-Mart guitar that came in a 70 buck starters pack.
Marshall MG15, I know
Petrucci and Vai you say?
Crunch lab in the bridge and Evo in the neck.
Also, +1 for the new amp, it'll get you much closer to a prog metal sound.

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by Tedward
I thought F-spaced meant Floyd Rose spaced?

People always say different things.

F-Spaced = tremolo spaced. Just measure out the distance between E-E and work out if you need f spaced pickups or not. As a general rule any guitar with a tremolo bridge will require F spaced pickups I believe.
irongear steam hammer/ hammer head in bridge and hot slag in neck. only like 25 pounds per pickup.
u have to order it from the uk but even with shipping it will cost less than seymour duncans.

http://www.irongear.co.uk/
Quote by steven seagull
amp?

Dont think you have answered this so ...

AMP?

Your amp effects your tone more then pickups...
and since your a beginner you might not be good at eqing yet ...
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

Quote by Tatsumaru
Dont think you have answered this so ...

AMP?

Your amp effects your tone more then pickups...
and since your a beginner you might not be good at eqing yet ...

Quote by zappmi35
Alright, so i have a Gibson Les paul Studio in wine red with nickel hardware. its a beutifull guitar but i am interested in getting more of a progressive metal sound out of it... and it will give me strickly a ROCK sound. im thinking about swapping out the pickups to some dimarzios.
I want a bridge pickup that will let me play heavy riffs with a progressive sortof smoothness. as well as a neck pickup that will give me progressive rock tone

what pickups would you reccomend from dimarzio?.
do you think i should leave the stock pickups.
do you think it would ruin the asthetic of the guitar (im thinking about getting sum black hardware as well)
The amp im using is a Marshall JCM 2000 TSL602

lrn2read
Quote by azn_guitarist25
lrn2read

+1

After 5 months yourve got a tsl602 and a gibson LP studio

Im still sceptical its your eq then anything else though.
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

have you considered bare knuckles pickups? i recently put a warpig in my epi les paul, and its now my favourite guitar just because the sound
Rickenbacker 620
ltd mh-1000
Fender jaguar

tu-2>>FZ-2>MXR Flanger>Ph-8>Line 6 FM-4>DD-6

Engl savage Head.
black start artisan 4x12
i know my amp might not be the best amp out ther especially for this type of music. but right now im looking for a christmass gift to upgrade the sound/ asthetic of my guitar ... if there are any effects out ther that will give me a different sound then please list them. but i know my les pauls stock pickups are shit... ther muddy,ther sustain sucks and they have little/no character.oh and thanks for listing other pickup brands i always want options.... sum1 commented about my equipment... ya it was a birthday gift... my rents went to the store and picked out the"nicest guitar" for under 2000 and same with the amp.
IF you think that pickups are definitaly the wrong way to go the please list some effects that will give me te sound im looking for.
Last edited by zappmi35 at Nov 9, 2009,
Worry more about learning to play and how to use your equipment rather than wasting money.

There's no way you're in a position to evaluate pickups after just 5 months.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
if you do replace the pups, wont you need to upgrade the 300k pots to 500k or is that only an issue with older gibsons? not sure, just thought id ask.

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

Quote by steven seagull
Worry more about learning to play and how to use your equipment rather than wasting money.

There's no way you're in a position to evaluate pickups after just 5 months.

Finally, some sense.

The Seagull-goose-duck-thing is right.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
well the main thing i wanted to do was change chrome hardware. to black hardware... and it wont go well with the stock pickups .. so i was thinkin about swapping them out as well. they definatly arent giving me the right sound. and ya its only been 5 months but the music school im goin to has a band program that they will HOPEFULLY put me in a few months 2-3? idk what they have in mind... plus i need ideas for a christmass gift XD and i dont know what to do with my options...
Get a grenade launcher for Christmas

And listen to Steve, 5 months of experience equals at the very least 7 more before deciding on new gear.
Page 1 of 2