Basically my band's manager has given me his bass, it's a fender 51 p bass reissue. The only trouble is, the pickup is missing, and apparently the electronics aren't too great. Still, can't complain when i get a nice bass, free of charge!
If i was to take it to a guitar shop and have them fit a new part and sort out the insides, how much would this cost roughly? Or would it be pretty simple to do myself?
Does anyone have any suggestions for a new p/up?
Why the hell did he GIVE you one of those? I'd kill for one but unfortunately the idiots at Fender don't like us left handers They just make the newer shaped P-Basses and that's about it, barring the Jazz.

It probably wouldn't be too difficult to do, you need a soldering iron, common sense and a basic knowledge of electronics. Decent pups are probably £150-£200, depending what you go for. The wiring would come with the pick ups anyway, barring the wiring for the input jack.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Try the Duncan SCPB-1 vintage P-Bass pickup for a replacement. Unless there is something wrong with the pots, I wouldn't replace them.
Looks good. If you're not confident in yourself, please let somebody who is do it. You can make a serious mess if you try it and you bugger it up.

It's a nice bass, I'm sure you want to keep it nice
Posted from Ubuntu.

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

first off i'd like to compliment your profile picture spitfirehicks

That aside because its a nice bass you wouldnt want to mess it up, so yeh. Just buy some p-bass pickups. Seymour Duncan are good, the other main pivkup suppliers are EMG. But definately do background research if you want a 50's sound. Most are made to be clean and modern
^ EMG, along with Bartolini and Nordstrand, don't make a pickup to directly replace the single coil for the '51 reissue (its the vintage design, not a split coil). Check out Seymour Duncan, the SCPB-1 is their "vintage sound" design, the SCPB-2 is a hot version, and the SCPB-3 is a QP in vintage single coil form, according to their website.

EDIT: on the electronics note: if the current electronics look messy or shoddy, or are all disconnected and such, an electronics upgrade can't hurt. Pot and wire replacements aren't difficult at all
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Last edited by Tostitos at Nov 9, 2009,
Go for the QP's and what genre are you playing? if its a kinda punky genre then you will love them xD i got the ones for a newer P-bass being delivered soon and a new neck for it possibly unless i find out the cause of the dead notes on a couple of the frets.if someone knows could they PM me :P

But go for SCPB-3 they are good if they are anything like the ones for the newer models and very versatile pickups if your playing any genre of rock

Trust me when it comes to pickups im gonna say you cant go wrong with Seymour Duncan and they are affordable aswell and sound excellent imo.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
I demand some pics.

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Quote by Bassist Rising
I demand some pics.

this.
Pics. Please.
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
I know I'd probably never get round to taking pics and uploading them, so here's a couple from the first gig I played with it. Unfortunately the lighting makes it look horribly smeared, made worse by the fact that I sweat an awful amount playing gigs. Nice.

(Invalid img)
Holy shitballs, batman. That's gorgeous.

Damn you righties. *Shakes fist*
Posted from Ubuntu.

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Quote by spitfirehicks
I know I'd probably never get round to taking pics and uploading them, so here's a couple from the first gig I played with it. Unfortunately the lighting makes it look horribly smeared, made worse by the fact that I sweat an awful amount playing gigs. Nice.

(Invalid img)

excuse me sir i will give you one million dollars for a night with your bass.

that thing is by far one of the best basses ive seen yet.