So I put my Marshall JCM 900 Hi-Gain Master Volume MKIII on craigslist today for trade. Im looking for a Peavey 5150, ENGL Fireball, or something like that for metal. So far I've been offered a Peavey 6505+ head for my Marshall and my Randall cab. My question is, would that amp handle MetalCore, Death Metal, and Hardcore music? and also, what other heads should I keep an eye out for? I have a Mesa Dual Rec solo head now, but it can be loose, so I'm looking for a tight back up head.
Gear:

Fender Roadhouse Strat
EC-1000 JB/'59
Fender Mark Hoppus bass
Eleven Rack
Peavey Classic 50 power amp
GK Neo 4x10
Peavey is one badass amp for metal and you style of music.... the only thing better i would say is a mesa... or maybe an engl.... personally if it's in good shape i'd say get the peavey..

but may i ask what is wrong with your jcm900 that you are selling it?
The 6505, as you've been offered, will be fine. But there are loads of amps that can do that: a Peavey Classic with the right pedals, a Carvin V3, an Orange Rockerverb, any Mesa Rec, a Fender Prosonic, a Marshall JCM2000.

What are looking for, exactly? What was wrong with the Marshall?
Nothings wrong with the Marshall, just i dont wanna run pedals behind it for my sound, so id rather have something more for me. I was never a big Marshall fan, but got this one in a trade, so kept it til i decided i didnt like it.
Gear:

Fender Roadhouse Strat
EC-1000 JB/'59
Fender Mark Hoppus bass
Eleven Rack
GK Neo 4x10
5150/6505 is a seriously good option
Very tight, more than enough gain on tap, good at cutting through live too.
Some people complain about unwanted hum/noise, but i've never had a problem. It depends on how much gain you use i guess...

As for users/genres... just about every death metal/metalcore band has used one at some point!
Top lel.
As others have mentioned, the 5150/6505 would be pretty good for what you're looking for, as seeing its pretty much the go to amp for many of the XXXXcore genres.

However, the Dual Recto is also a pretty XXXXcore head... why not just run a OD in front of the amp to tighten up the sound. Or is also a case where you'd rather have your amp be solely responsible for your tone?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
As others have mentioned, the 5150/6505 would be pretty good for what you're looking for, as seeing its pretty much the go to amp for many of the XXXXcore genres.

However, the Dual Recto is also a pretty XXXXcore head... why not just run a OD in front of the amp to tighten up the sound. Or is also a case where you'd rather have your amp be solely responsible for your tone?

I would much rather have my amp responsible for my tone, but running a pedal to tighten up my sound sounds interesting. what should i buy?
Gear:

Fender Roadhouse Strat
EC-1000 JB/'59
Fender Mark Hoppus bass
Eleven Rack
GK Neo 4x10
6505... do it.. its the best bang for the buck metal head out there
Gear:
Gibson SG Standard (modded)
Peavey 6505 Head
Vader 2x12 Cabinet
Vader 2x15 Cabinet
Morley Steve Vai Bad Horsie 2 Wah
Korg Pitchblack Tuner
ISP Decimator Suppressor
D'Addario Strings
Dunlop Picks
Quote by paintballcrazy7
I would much rather have my amp responsible for my tone, but running a pedal to tighten up my sound sounds interesting. what should i buy?

An OD, preferably. I personally use an Ibanez TS9
Well in terms of straight up money value trade, I don't know how good of a deal you're getting, but the 6505+ is a hell of an amp. I'd do that trade. Great for metal of any and all flavors.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Sell your Mesa and buy a diezel VH4 or Herbert. You wont need backup/second stuff then. Especially the VH4 is ultra versatile. It can do anything, and not just good, but jawdropping good. Herbert is increadible, but a tad less versatile.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
The only issue i can see with the diezel is price

In the UK, the VH4 was like £2,500
A mesa recto is about £1,500 i think
And the 6505/6505+ is around £800-£1,000.
Top lel.
Quote by paintballcrazy7

I personally like the Fulltone OCD.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by the memory
The only issue i can see with the diezel is price

In the UK, the VH4 was like £2,500
A mesa recto is about £1,500 i think
And the 6505/6505+ is around £800-£1,000.

Buy it second hand. I bought a VH4 for 1800€, as good as new.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL
Buy it second hand. I bought a VH4 for 1800€, as good as new.

he is in kentucky.....
diezels are in the us
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION