At the moment I'm 16, living in the UK and I've just started college, and I'm considering studying music in the US when I leave.

What are some good music schools in the US that I should look into applying to? I know Berklee is an obvious option but I don't think I'm good enough by a long long way. Are there any other processes that I need to go through to study in the US?

My aunt is American so I'm going to be talking to her about this soon, but I thought I should ask you guys as a lot of you are from the US and seeing as you're musicians I'm guessing you might be in the same situation as me.

Dave
Do you realise the costs involved in American Higher Education?

Edit:- but then again you can eat

'Five Dollar.....

Five Dollar Footlong'

(its a sandwich not a huge pen0r)
Last edited by Sir-Shredalot at Nov 8, 2009,
I heard Hartt school of Arts in Hartford, CT is a pretty good music school, though it costs a lot, more than Berklee if I remember correctly.
Quote by metaldud536
You're family must be loaded with money

what else are they gonna be loaded with

(dont say guns as they are not yanks)
What exactly do you want to study?

Berklee is meh. Straight up meh.

As far as classical guitar is concerned, it's more about the teacher than it is the school... the ones I applied to were Oberlin (actually has one of the best music conservatories in the country), Northwestern, and Florida State University (again, has a great music program.)
My God, it's full of stars!
For guitar? Try Musician's Institute.
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
Quote by Sir-Shredalot
humour you mean?

''loaded with money''

How is that even funny? If you're going to come here for university your family must have a sizeable amount of money.
Berklee School of Music and Bellmont are about the only ones I know of. But Colorado Uni has a good music program.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Quote by Masamune
How is that even funny? If you're going to come here for university your family must have a sizeable amount of money.

That or you've been saving your $10 dollars-a-week allowance since you were 5.
Quote by Masamune

No they mustn't.

There are plenty of scholarship opportunities
Quote by Masamune

Not really. Seeing as how the pound is at a higher exchange rate compared to the dollar. A family can sell their house in the UK for 300,000GBP and buy one in the US for 500,000USD and not lose money.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Quote by Dreadnought
No they mustn't.

There are plenty of scholarship opportunities

true...I guess I'm not thinking straight.
I wouldn't know how many scholarship opportunities people from other countries have. Is there anything available to them that pays as much as Bright Futures does?
Last edited by Masamune at Nov 8, 2009,
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
Not really. Seeing as how the pound is at a higher exchange rate compared to the dollar. A family can sell their house in the UK for 300,000GBP and buy one in the US for 500,000USD and not lose money.

Thats not necessarily true. If they spend, oh lets 500,000GBP then they lose money, and also with the way the economy is they wont get what they paid for the house, if it even sells.

But on topic, you could try going to the music college in Glasgow. Depends on your instrument though, and you might want to come here so
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by Masamune
I wouldn't know how many scholarship opportunities people form other countries have. Is there anything available to them that pays as much as Bright Futures does?

They would have to attend school in Florida to receive Bright Futures, and I'm not sure about the Bright Futures scholarship's qualifications for students from countries outside of the US. I'm sure it can be arranged. If not, there are thousands of other scholarships to apply for - because in Florida: you can get to your masters degree without ever paying a cent towards school if you really wanted. It's just a matter of how willing you are to put in hundreds of hours of legal paperwork and dealing with financial offices.
If you can get in/have a shit load of money, you might be able to go to Juliard. Its my dream school, but I know that Ill never get to go there.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by metaldud536

You are brain must be loaded with education!

I don't know TS, try googling it? It might sound silly, but googling "top US music schools" or something might help you more than the pit, half of whom seem to be about 16 years old.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by smartalec007
If you can get in/have a shit load of money, you might be able to go to Juliard. Its my dream school, but I know that Ill never get to go there.

I actually checked out Juliard when I went to NY with my school. Definitly not my thang.
Quote by Dreadnought
What exactly do you want to study?

Berklee is meh. Straight up meh.

As far as classical guitar is concerned, it's more about the teacher than it is the school... the ones I applied to were Oberlin (actually has one of the best music conservatories in the country), Northwestern, and Florida State University (again, has a great music program.)

+ a million
Quote by metaldud536

wat

OT: I've thought about doing it as well, but haven't done a whole lot of research on the subject. I think I came to the conclusion that it costs way too much money.

EDIT: "The minimum amount of funds required for the (2010-11) academic year is estimated at $48,000.00 (subject to annual increase with tuition)".

Yeah...
*parp*
Last edited by Bleurgh at Nov 9, 2009,
Quote by Masamune
I wouldn't know how many scholarship opportunities people from other countries have. Is there anything available to them that pays as much as Bright Futures does?

I'm sure there's something... it's always seemed to me that there's been lots of aid for foreigners/minorities.
Quote by Jako215
My guitar teacher tells me University of Arts in Philadelphia Pennsylvania is an excellent school. There is Berkley too.

Yeah I go to the University of the Arts as a guitar major. It is a great school for music, but it is a jazz school. If you can't play jazz you won't get in unless you want to be a music composition major which doesn't require you to preform on an instrument for the audition. If you don't play jazz or classical then your options are severely limited. If you play jazz I know a lot of schools with good jazz programs.
12 fret fury