I've been looking into acoustic electric guitars lately, mainly for the purpose of possibly getting some coffe shop gigs or whatever, and plus I've just always wanted one. Anyway, I need some advice on 2 things

1) What are some suggestions on brands and such? I've played a friend's Ovation before and liked it decently. Budget around $300

2) What do you guys use to amplify it? I'd rather not buy an acoustic amp, since that's getting pretty expensive and I know there are other ways to do it
I hate my sig
1. ovation have a sub brand called applause which are cheaper they;re like epiphone
2. you can use an accoustic amp or any good guitar amp will play it well
Quote by britishsligean
1. ovation have a sub brand called applause which are cheaper they;re like epiphone
2. you can use an accoustic amp or any good guitar amp will play it well

Will something like a mesa sound ok with an acoustic? I think my amp is a little over board for that and plus it's high gain.
I hate my sig
Quote by QuantumMechanix
Will something like a mesa sound ok with an acoustic? I think my amp is a little over board for that and plus it's high gain.

as long as you uuse the clean channel you should be fine
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-EW-Series-EWC30QHERLG-Concert-Cutaway-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar?sku=500248#used

Try to see if you can try one of these out. I was extremely surprised by the sound, ease of use, and action of these guitars. I played it through a Vox ad 100 and a Kustom tube amp and I was pleasantly surprised by the sounds. I think I saw one used for around $350.