WHat can I do to reduce the sloppyness and floopyness of high frets on low strings(usually powerchords). Its the kind of sound when you hold down really hard, but I hold down pretty soft.
Last edited by kenvy at Nov 8, 2009,
Quote by AcousticSlayer
Heavier string gauge.

I have 11-54 gauge strings, tuned to Drop D 1/2 step down. I still get a floppy sound..
what guitar are you using? some guitars with bad bridges can do that on the low strings. my first guitar always did what you are describing, so i just never played above the 12th fret on the low E
Set up your action, then your truss rod, then your intonation.

Also what size are your frets? The smaller the fret, the easier it is to bend pitch, even with a semi-light touch.

Otherwise, if you're using 56 gauge and tuning to a half step down, and it's still 'floppy,' you're just pressing too hard.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by AcousticSlayer
What kind of guitar do you have?

Ibanez Grgx20z. I've heard that this guitar sucks but I think its pretty decent.
Quote by kenvy
Ibanez Grgx20z. I've heard that this guitar sucks but I think its pretty decent.

The GRX20z is a basic beginner guitar. Nothing flashy, but refer to my post above. Even at that model it shouldn't do what you're saying too badly.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
I would get it set-up either by a tech or yourself if you think you can. also theres nothing crappy about the grx20z in comparison to the other begginer model guitars out there in its price range. At least the come with a nice low action.
What tuning are you using for the guitar? You stated that you are using 11's which are pretty heavy. If the guitar is not set up specifically for heavier gauge of strings, then they won't be stretched right. Leading to tone problems.

I have 9's on my guitar and can tune down quite a bit. You might consider putting 10's on and giving that a go.