hi everyone. i play jazz, funk, and RnB music mostly, but in one of my bands i play alot of classic rocky/blues-rock kind of stuff. right now im running a strat, les paul, or vintage ES-175 into a (currently being modded) SF Bassman 50. my signal chain is wah, univibe, danelectro cool cat drive pedal, and then a ts808 clone that i use gain 0 and volume 10. its my solo boost.
i would like to buy another (mostly) clean boost. it would either take the tubescreamers place as the main solo boost, or i would use it to stack with my drive pedal. i imagine i would play around quite a bit using different pedals for different things.

i really love the sound the the RC booster, but its a bit more money than i care to spend right now. what are some other good boost (i would like it to be clean, but its not a must AT ALL) that is around $50 US. im looking at the EHX nano LPD-1 and dano transparent OD. does anyone have experience with these? i have no experience with either, there arent too many pedals to try out around me. any advice given is GREATLY apprectiated. thanks alot.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Bad Monkey?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
i already have a tubescreamer, im looking for more of a straight boost instead of an OD.
thanks though, ill look into it.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
For that price range, definitely the Dano transparent OD.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
have you played it before? how does it do as strickly a clean boost? also, ive heard it doesnt do the greatest with fender voiced amps, is that accurate?
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
i already have a tubescreamer, im looking for more of a straight boost instead of an OD.
thanks though, ill look into it.

The Bad Monkey's alot more transparent than the TS (much less mid boost) and is better suited for boosting than it, IMO. Has a bit more level on tap too.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by Raijouta
The Bad Monkey's alot more transparent than the TS (much less mid boost) and is better suited for boosting than it, IMO. Has a bit more level on tap too.

alright! it also has bass and treble controls, correct? i will look into it, thanks. is it True Bypass?
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
I'm not sure about true bypass, but I don't notice any tone loss when I use it. I'll check.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
i spose i could mod it to true bypass, but we will see.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
is it True Bypass?
Go look it up on the Digitech website.

Fine, lazy-ass. No, it isn't true bypass.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by ch0
Go look it up on the Digitech website.

Fine, lazy-ass. No, it isn't true bypass.

chill out dude. i would report you for being so rude, but then you would just flame me again.

thanks for informing me though.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
have you played it before? how does it do as strickly a clean boost? also, ive heard it doesnt do the greatest with fender voiced amps, is that accurate?

I tried one, and it added a nice bit of sparkle when used as a clean boost. Fenders are sparkly enough, so I can see where that complaint would come from, but I was trying it on an AC30 when I played it at the store.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by stradivari310
I tried one, and it added a nice bit of sparkle when used as a clean boost. Fenders are sparkly enough, so I can see where that complaint would come from, but I was trying it on an AC30 when I played it at the store.

ill try to track one down. thanks. i have trouble finding a good selection of pedals around here.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
An EHX LPB-1 or a Good Compressor would work great.
Last edited by mmjohn at Nov 9, 2009,
Quote by mmjohn
An EHX LPB-1 or a Good Compressor would work great.

I would like to second the LPB-1 suggestion. Nice and cheap and it's a simple booster seems exactly what you want really.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by chea_man
chill out dude. i would report you for being so rude, but then you would just flame me again.

thanks for informing me though.

I think he was kidding. His post was funny. I dont think he meant to be rude at all. I wouldn't report him.

I am about to try and use my soloist dist for a boost. It's cheap and true bypass. i will just use the level and keep the contour and gain down. I will try later and let you know how it worked out.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Partscaster
Bugera 6262
Jcm900 1960A
^ can't help with the thread (haven't tried them, but those are the ones I'd be looking into too), but that's a kickass username
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
BBE Boosta Grande, you can get them used on the cheap.

Utterly transparent (too much so, IMHO), true bypass.

The LPB-1 is a great suggestion, no question, but it could get a little to shrill on a Bassman if you've already got your treble up a bit.

An EQ pedal might do better, they work great as boosts, and you can dial in just the freq's you need.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Want my Dano TOD?

I've never used it for a clean boost, as it really doesn't change the fundamental character of your tone. It stacks on great, and you still sound like you.

No experience with it on Fenders.

how much would you sell it for? just curious. not going to commit to it yet, but im interested.

and as far as EQs go. is the dano one ok, or do i need to spend more?
also, how do OD pedals respond to being boosted with an Eq pedal?
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
how much would you sell it for? just curious. not going to commit to it yet, but im interested.

and as far as EQs go. is the dano one ok, or do i need to spend more?
also, how do OD pedals respond to being boosted with an Eq pedal?

The Dano one is pretty damn good for it's price. The only thing I don't like about it is the plastic footswitch. But it's not too bad really.
In my experience OD + EQ works pretty well.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey