I want to get a dedicated recorder to record some demo's on. I need it to have phantom power so I can run my condensers into it, and I would like to stay as cheap as possible. Suggestions?
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
not looking for an interface
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha
JESUS ****ING CHRIST

okay
look kid
**** your 4 track recorders
get a cheap interface and a mic and be done with it
there's at least room to grow with a set up like that
Quote by lbj273
not looking for an interface

Dude this isn't the 90's now, you dont need to record to a tape machine anymore, we have this amazing thing called digital technology that allows you to record to this shiny thing called a computer and perhaps do more than one take, and you know use all these great functions like eq, compression, multiple takes, editing, for yknow, really cheap.
theres also this thing called digital recorders, I'm not talking about tape recorders. I don't have a laptop and theres no way I'm hauling my amp up two flights of stairs everytime I want to record
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

Quote by lbj273
theres also this thing called digital recorders, I'm not talking about tape recorders. I don't have a laptop and theres no way I'm hauling my amp up two flights of stairs everytime I want to record

Well theres a difference between recording a riff that comes into your head and doing a demo as originally described in the first post. If you're doing a demo the cheapest way to great results is an interface and amp sims as so glowingly described here by the lovely Gareth:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1131250&page=1

If you so desperately need to record a riff that comes into your head whilst you fanny about with some terrible sounding amp then I dunno, get a zoom h2 or something of that caliber.

But if you want to record some serious music, then you NEED a computer, theres no two ways about it.
if that is so why the hell do digital recorders cost so much? if all they are good for is recording noodling then why aren't they cheap like interfaces are? for the record, my amp is a Palomino v50 and its not a terrible sounding amp, it sounds much better than loads of other amps I've played. I do not care whether your opinion is that I should get an interface, the fact remains that I do not want one. every single recorder I've looked at has had usb, so I do not have to do mixing on the recorder, I can dump it to the computer for that. a recorder, not an interface is what works for my situation.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

Because portability costs and your situation is impractical to say the least, you'd be recording with little or no placeholder for a start and it's visually impaired.

Boss do a range of portable recorders but you're not going to get 48v switches because they run off a 12v power supply, thats the price you pay for portability, you'd have to just use a 57 with it.

For the price though you'd be better off buying a second hand laptop and using whatever interface you're sporting at the moment.
I've looked at the Boss recorders, not what I'm looking for. The Tascam DP-02 is essentially what I'm looking for. The DP-004 would be perfect if it had phantom power.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

Dude, whatever, we've given you advice, and you can either buy your ****ing tascam and realise we're right 2 years down the line (like every kid that buys a ****ing Marshall MG. It may be what he wanted at the time, but jesus do they ALWAYS ****ing regret it) and realise you wasted a ****ton of money on a worthless piece of sit, or you can buy an interface now.

Either way it's no salt off my back, you're free to waste your ****ing money but do not just shrug off perfectly good advice.
What you do not seem to comprehend is that an interface does not work in my situation. Once I have tracks recorded, I can move them to the computer for final mixing. So I will be using the computer, just not directly.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

I would get whatever Boss unit is in your price range, they tend to blow Tascam stuff out of the water. If you really like that Tascam model you shoul get that and a mic preamp that has phantom power.

Tot he people telling him to buy an interface: why? This guy clearly knows what he wants, it's not good advice if an interface wont suit his needs. '
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Dream Pin, why are you so angry? He just want an recorder to record wherever he wants.

Those Boss recorders and a mic preamp is the best solution here i think.

He is clearly asking for an digital recorder, NOT an interface.
To keep things really simple you could plug your guitar straight into a Boss Micro BR or a Boss BR600. They also have mic inputs but the micro BR is a bit limited and certainly has no phantom power. You could use a mic preamp with it though if you want to. I use a micro BR to record but I plug the guitar directly into it. I prefere to do any mixing on the PC though as it is easier than the micro BRs tiny buttons but it is possible to produce finnished MP3s straight from the Micro BR it is just a bit fiddley. The BR 600 looks to be much better in terms of useablity because of the faders and more usable drum machine. As I play directly into the micro BR I use the built in effects and amp models but it does allow one to record the guitar clean with no effects so they can be added later.

Using a separate recorder works well for me. I bought the micro BR so my wife and kids could use the PC and I could get on with playing the guitar in peace without them compaining that they need to use the PC. I find the micro BR to be a very useful practise tool also and with headphones nobody get disturded. It is also very portable so that makes it good to take to band practice for quick recordings.