Not really a guitar related question, but maybe somebody can help. Our vocalist found this old microphone from the early 50s...but the cord has been cut on it. I'm going to try to rewire it and see if it works. The microphone has one central, covered wire...that is surrounded by bare wire. The 3-pin mic cable that I'm going to splice it with has 2 central wires, surrounded by a bare wire. Are the bare wires a ground, similar to guitar pickups? And how would I match up the other wires?
some pics would help...

one of those wires is an input, another is an inverted input, and the last is ground.

find out the pinout of a standard XLR plug (that is what you're using, right?) and match it up with the mic's wires.
Quote by Invader Jim
some pics would help...

one of those wires is an input, another is an inverted input, and the last is ground.

I just have a cell phone for a camera because I'm still at practice. I get one up here in a minute.
shit, just re-read your post. That mic is a mono. the bare is ground and the inner wire is hot. Just figure out which pins on an XLR plug are hot and gnd and wire it to those. or you could use a mono guitar cable.
pics:

the wires coming from the mic:

the wires from the 3-pin mic cable:

EDIT:
Quote by Invader Jim
shit, just re-read your post. That mic is a mono. the bare is ground and the inner wire is hot. Just figure out which pins on an XLR plug are hot and gnd and wire it to those. or you could use a mono guitar cable.

I thought maybe it was mono...could I connect the bare wires together...and then connect both wires from the XLR cable to the one mono wire from the mic?
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Nov 8, 2009,
Just connect the ground and inverted input of the XLR to the bare mic wire and the remaining wires (mic hot and plug hot) are connected together.

Protip: use the macro setting of your camera.
Quote by Invader Jim
Just connect the ground and inverted input of the XLR to the bare mic wire and the remaining wires (mic hot and plug hot) are connected together.

Is there a way to tell which wire is hot on the plug? Theres a red and a white wire.
Quote by Invader Jim
I'd guess red, but idk. never dealt with them. I imagine google would have the answer (not being a smartass).

Hey man thanks. I've been looking on google but it just says which pin is hot...I really don't want to cut into the cable anymore than I already have but I may end up doing that just to find out which wire goes to each pin. Thanks again though
Its not that the mic is mono, it is unbalanced. modern mics are balanced. the hot and cold signals are combined to remove noise and hum, like a humbucker pickup.

you can just connect the center wire to pin 2 and the ground shield to pin 3 and 1.

you can find out which wire goes to what pin with an ohm meter. the wire that has almost no resistance to pin 2 is the one you need. It will work fine if you do that.

Even if you wire the center wire to pin 3 and the shield to pin 1 and 2, it will still work, but it will be 180 degrees out of phase which is not a problem unless you are mixing a single sound source (amp, drums) with that mic and another mic. you will get weird sound cancellations resulting in a thin amplified sound.

unless you mic your vocalist with two or more mics, no problem! connect that center wire to either the red or white one and connect the left over one with the shields. expose as little wire as manageable to prevent hum.
The third pin, on the very bottom of your XLR cable is for Phantom Power(+35V), which is used in condenser microphones. Phantom Power is in all XLR cables, just some mics do not use them.

As for the 2 wires, one is hot, one is ground.
..I was watching my death.
Quote by timbit2006
The third pin, on the very bottom of your XLR cable is for Phantom Power(+35V), which is used in condenser microphones. Phantom Power is in all XLR cables, just some mics do not use them.

As for the 2 wires, one is hot, one is ground.

Pin 1 is ground
Pin 2 is hot (postive)
Pin 3 is cold (negative or return)

If you are using phantom power, phantom power is on both pins 2 and 3 in reference to pin 1.

Phantom power can be used on all XLR cables but it is not in them.

A balanced microphone uses both pin 2 and 3 but an unbalanced microphone like the one in question uses one and grounds the other.
Quote by brentonlatour
Pin 1 is ground
Pin 2 is hot (postive)
Pin 3 is cold (negative or return)

If you are using phantom power, phantom power is on both pins 2 and 3 in reference to pin 1.

Phantom power can be used on all XLR cables but it is not in them.

A balanced microphone uses both pin 2 and 3 but an unbalanced microphone like the one in question uses one and grounds the other.

That is what I meant.

I have been taught wrong then, if the info your giving me is correct.
..I was watching my death.