One of the members of my band plays sax really well (which is sweet) and guitar not so well. He plays sax for most of our songs, but he wants to play guitar more because its more fun for him and his mouth needs a break. Normally this would be totally fine, except he's really not good enough to write his own guitar parts.

I'm happy to write guitar parts for him, and he's happy to let me do it. The problem is I don't have any experience writing songs with two guitar parts, and I'm having trouble starting. How do you guys do it, any advice?

Some examples of songs we've covered: Float On by Modest Mouse, Isn't She Lovely by Stevie Wonder, and Crazy by Gnarls Barkley - just so you get a feel for our genre.
Quote by cubedeathk

No my friends Dinosaurs walked this earth with Man.

Last edited by QuiteTheFellow at Nov 8, 2009,
just jam with him and work out parts together. or he could write on sax then just play it on guitar
Quote by denfilade
You could do the rhythm guitar/lead guitar thing...or one guitar does harmonies.

harmonies, man.

he could play some of the things you play an octave up. He could do little fill type stuff with scale runs while you play chords. He could back up the vocals and play the vocal line.
He could (if you have an interesting bass line) back up the bass an octave up.
Float On by Modest Mouse, Isn't She Lovely by Stevie Wonder, and Crazy by Gnarls Barkley - just so you get a feel for our genre.

Well now you have an oppertunity to do something interesting. Pop-rock with guitar harmonies. Listen to some allman brothers and you'll get ideas
Old, but he could right sax parts and you could just transpose them to the guitar.
And we will weave in and out of sanity unnoticed
Swirling in blissfully restless visions of all our bleary progress
Glowing in radiant madness
Quote by TDKshorty
Old, but he could right sax parts and you could just transpose them to the guitar.

You bumped a thread from last year to say something that's already been said?
My name is Danny. Call me that.
Considering most of the advice here was flawed, we should clear something up. If a person is not good enough to write their own parts, they are not good enough to play harmonies.

Obviously the proper answer would be to play the same chords on different parts of the neck to create a fuller sound.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by asator
You bumped a thread from last year to say something that's already been said?

Could you direct me to that post? I couldn't find it
Quote by TDKshorty
Could you direct me to that post? I couldn't find it

Quote by tom708
just jam with him and work out parts together. or he could write on sax then just play it on guitar

don't know if this thread is still read, I'll post anyway.

If you're lacking songwriting skills, you should just head over to T&C and go from there. You may have to write a few riffs/songs to get a feel for it but it will come naturally if you practise it.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Quote by asator

Holy shit I didn't see that. I read your post and then I was like, I'm going be an asshole to this guy and you ****ing put my in my place
Quote by TDKshorty
Holy shit I didn't see that. I read your post and then I was like, I'm going be an asshole to this guy and you ****ing put my in my place

Yeah I'm pretty much God.

But nah, honest mistake