I recently started getting pains in my right arm when playing guitar.
It happened out of the blue.
I don't play when it hurts.
I believe I play with proper technique, I keep the pick 45 degrees adjacent to the string.
I play loose.
I play in classical guitar position.
But it still hurts.
I have messed with different positioning to and nothing helps.
Quote by tom708
stop wanking

This is not the Pit.

Anyway, TS, it might not be your picking technique. Did you lift something? Or maybe it's just 1 of those random pains that came from nowhere. Wait a few days; it'll be gone.
its probably *rsi* from doing the same exercise too long. Or if you arent properly warming up. Completely stop picking for 2-4 days and give the muscles time to heal. you can still work on legato/patterns/music theory but give those muscles time to heal and start doing a slow warm up. Or you will wind up with nerve damage. Which is very expensive to repair eric petterson from testament and dave mustaine have both had to do that.
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.
Quote by tom708
stop wanking

Maybe he needs to wank more and build muscle. Im just messing with you though, its probably related to something that has nothing to do with guitar like typing too much on the computer or other carpal tunnel syndrome type things
what kind of palm muting is best for metal?
cut off some guys hand and place it under the strings. brutal low end bro.
Now, you may THINK you're playing loose, but if you're getting pains while playing the guitar, you're not loose. Warm up, re-think how loose you really are, give your muscles a break, and SEE A DOCTOR.
Quote by The.new.guy
Now, you may THINK you're playing loose, but if you're getting pains while playing the guitar, you're not loose. Warm up, re-think how loose you really are, give your muscles a break, and SEE A DOCTOR.

you dont need to see a doctor for small inflammation of the tendons.
unless its serious and a recurring problem, or it turns into nerve pain, THATS when you see a heath professional (i.e. an osteopath. A doctor seriously cant help you much)
Quote by WishfulShredder
you dont need to see a doctor for small inflammation of the tendons.
unless its serious and a recurring problem, or it turns into nerve pain, THATS when you see a heath professional (i.e. an osteopath. A doctor seriously cant help you much)

How do you know it's just a small inflammation if you don't somehow contact a doctor about it? I know I wouldn't be able to.
Quote by The.new.guy
How do you know it's just a small inflammation if you don't somehow contact a doctor about it? I know I wouldn't be able to.

if after you rest it, it doesnt come back.
if it does, see the osteopath
Quote by WishfulShredder
if after you rest it, it doesnt come back.
if it does, see the osteopath

I guess I had assumed he had already tried resting it for a while. Of course you'll get minor inflammation unless you started out with perfect technique or soon got it. I've gotten it multiple times, and each time I find some sort of tension somewhere. This pain, however, is probably a sign of bad things to come. I would still re-think your technique.
Quote by The.new.guy
I guess I had assumed he had already tried resting it for a while. Of course you'll get minor inflammation unless you started out with perfect technique or soon got it. I've gotten it multiple times, and each time I find some sort of tension somewhere. This pain, however, is probably a sign of bad things to come. I would still re-think your technique.

oh, he definitely should. I acquired quite severe tendonitis from elbow picking (all better now though )