Hi guys.
I've recently aquired a washburn idol wi45f. While I very much like the guitar, I think the pickups are a bit weak, and I'm looking to replace them. currently they're a set of randalls, a UL and an SL. My main amp is a bogner alchemist.
I play mostly classic and hard rock, as well as worship, blues, and occasionly a bit of thrash and metalcore, so I'm after a nice set of passives.
I've been looking at gibson burstbuckers, but also alot of the seymour duncans and dimarzios. budget isn't to much of an issue.
Just after suggestions. thanks in advance.
2009 Gibson Explorer - 2008 Washburn Idol WI45f - 1965 MiJ Ibanez Salvador Classical
Bogner Alchemist 40w 1x12" - Marshall MG10CD
Well, if you mostly play classic rock and hard rock, I'd say look into a Seymour Duncan JB for the bridge and '59 for the neck. The JB is hot enough for heavier styles without being TOO hot, but work it right and it can be really versatile, and the '59 is just good all around.

I have them in my ESP EC-400AT and they sound awesome - my favorite pickups yet.
And my playing is all over the place - hard rock, blues, funk, etc.
DiMarzio has a pickup selector on their website that'll help you out
I think SD has something similar too
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
bridge pup - Dimarzio Norton
neck pup - Dimarzio Air Norton or Humbucker from hell
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
thanks for that. the other thing i forgot to mention is that it has vcc, so each 'bucker can be split.
a) is this hard to do, and
b) can all sd and dimarzio humbuckers be split? i'm pretty sure all the 4 wire ones can?
2009 Gibson Explorer - 2008 Washburn Idol WI45f - 1965 MiJ Ibanez Salvador Classical
Bogner Alchemist 40w 1x12" - Marshall MG10CD
Quote by southpaw91
thanks for that. the other thing i forgot to mention is that it has vcc, so each 'bucker can be split.
a) is this hard to do, and
b) can all sd and dimarzio humbuckers be split? i'm pretty sure all the 4 wire ones can?

You're gonna need to figure out how to wire the 'buckers to this VCC system.

Then you're gonna need to match your new pickup wire colour codes to the old one so that your wiring is correct (i.e. output -> output, ground -> ground).

The colour matching shouldn't be hard... but I have no idea how to wire pickups to the VCC system.

Yes all 4 conductor wire pickups are coil-tappable/splitable. Almost all SD and Di pickups come equipped with 4 conductor wires as far as I am aware.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Nov 9, 2009,