Hello,
I've recently come across $400 (don't ask) and want to add some flavor to my music. I was thinking of getting a delay, phaser, and chorus since my band has started playing a lot of alt rock. Now would it be more worth it to get stompboxes or a multi-effects processor?
Also, any recommendations to what brand? I know it's gonna be opinionated, but some guidance would be nice so I know what to try out when I go to the store in a couple days.
Gear currently consists of:
Ibanez rg350dx
Big muff pi
modded crybaby
fender 212R solidstate.
Your amp is garbage.

Done.

Start suggesting pedals or just keep talking about how bad his amp is. Whatever you wanna do UG.
Quote by The_Bosstone
Your amp is garbage.

Done.

Start suggesting pedals or just keep talking about how bad his amp is. Whatever you wanna do UG.

why do I even bother.....
Have you played a fender fm212R? Not everything has to be tube to sound good.
Quote by The_Bosstone
Your amp is garbage.

Done.

Way to be a doucher.

Were you one of those losers that started playing on a jem through a 6505+ 412?

Simpleton.

EDIT: stompboxes will be a better investment for live purposes, I like some of BOSS's pedals, but everyone likes to jump on the bandwagon and throw flaming pitchforks at that name.
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
Last edited by westdyolf at Nov 8, 2009,
Quote by westdyolf
Way to be a doucher.

Were you one of those losers that started playing on a jem through a 6505+ 412?

Simpleton.

EDIT: stompboxes will be a better investment for live purposes, I like some of BOSS's pedals, but everyone likes to jump on the bandwagon and throw flaming pitchforks at that name.

If you notice, he was pre-emptively pointing out what UG would point out in subsequent posts.

And yeah, the FM212R is actually not that great unless you're only using its cleans. I say spend your money on a better amp, OP, and maybe get an EHX Memory Boy for delay.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Actually I started with a cheap Ibanez into an MG.

I specifically said that because I knew that all the posts would be trashing his amps.

Jeez.
Personally, I like headroom and a clean amp.
So don't worry. Some people are dicks.
If you had to choose from those effects, I'd go Chorus since you could probably use it more. Delay would be good, I like DD-6/DD-7s for the reverse features and they're cheaper than most of the others.
Also, if you have money left over, buy an EQ. No matter what you use, you can make your tone godly, or godlier. :P
Quote by Terastr
Personally, I like headroom and a clean amp.
So don't worry. Some people are dicks.
If you had to choose from those effects, I'd go Chorus since you could probably use it more. Delay would be good, I like DD-6/DD-7s for the reverse features and they're cheaper than most of the others.
Also, if you have money left over, buy an EQ. No matter what you use, you can make your tone godly, or godlier. :P

Thanks, I'll look into those. Never used an eq before.

Quote by Raijouta
If you notice, he was pre-emptively pointing out what UG would point out in subsequent posts.

And yeah, the FM212R is actually not that great unless you're only using its cleans. I say spend your money on a better amp, OP, and maybe get an EHX Memory Boy for delay.

I'll give the memory boy a try. And yes the fm212r has pretty good cleans, which I mostly play. I don't have the money to spend on another amp. Unless it's in the $400 range.
Quote by The_Bosstone
Actually I started with a cheap Ibanez into an MG.

I specifically said that because I knew that all the posts would be trashing his amps.

Jeez.

Well... it would probably have ended with an amp bashing, but your post did make you sound... well... like a dick.

I'd recommend you pick up individual stompboxes, rather thatn splurging out on a multiFX unit. The multiFX of most people (me included) tend to end up underused... or used badly.

Phaser... MXR phase 90... don't know of many phasers... but this does pop into mind.

For a chorus and a delay... the Digitech Hardwire pedals are pretty cool.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by The_Bosstone
Your amp is garbage.

Done.

This actually is a genius post. I'm sure if he hadn't posted this, people would be bashing OP's amp; this guy saved you, OP. On purpose, too. /respect
Depending on what kind of music you play...

I'd potentially say sell the fm212 and add to your budget. $550-600 can go a long way on a used amp. I scored a vibroverb for less than that, which has beautiful cleans.

Do you gig?
What kind of music do you play?
What local craigslist/ebay locations should we be searching?
Why do these questions seem to keep getting longer as we go?

I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020

Probably because we already have an idea of what he should purchase next just to satisfy our GAS.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty

Probably because we already have an idea of what he should purchase next just to satisfy our GAS.

Yea - just saying it nicer than post 2

I back up the new amp rec, especially with 400 cash and a FM to sell. Hell, the spider valve 112 is $399 new and while the effects aren't stellar - I'd rather play that than the fm212.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I disagree. The TS seems fairly content with his amp, so I think maybe he should save up for really epic pedals (Empress Delay / Pigtronix Echolution / Eventide Timefactor / Nova Repeater / Dr Scientist chorus / Red Witch Empress etc). When he does move over to a better amp, these are pedals which will last and last.

Although admittedly a new amp would be more epic than just some pedals.

I'd also admit that I'd personally put money towards a new amp. However, that would not give him the effects he's looking for. Unless we're talking about a Flextone here.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by gregs1020
Depending on what kind of music you play...

I'd potentially say sell the fm212 and add to your budget. $550-600 can go a long way on a used amp. I scored a vibroverb for less than that, which has beautiful cleans.

Do you gig?
What kind of music do you play?
What local craigslist/ebay locations should we be searching?

This. $600 can get you a GREAT amp, if you look used.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
If you are only looking at three different pedals than indavidual ones are the way to go. Three seperate pedals will likely be of higher quality and having the indavidual pedals is much more versatile then one ME pedal.
Alrighty - as far as phasers go - PLEASE avoid the Boss PH-3. I owned it for almost a year, never used it, it sucked my tone and never sounded good - I couldn't get rid of that bitch either - I sold it for 20 bucks just to get it out of my sight. I like the Phase 90, but I'd totally say look into an EHX Small Stone - unlike the Phase 90, you can control the depth of the phasing sound.

For chorus, I'd say get an Arion Stereo Chorus, if you can find one! 15-30 bucks used is what I see them - YES, they are a cheap pedal, YES they do have a plastic enclosure - but the chorus is sweet and lush.

Or maybe look into a Visual Sound H20 Chorus/Echo - it's a two in one pedal with a nice, deep chorus and the echo channel has 800 ms or delay time - more than you'd honestly probably need, and if you get ANOTHER chorus pedal, you'd be able to set one for long echoes, and the other for short echoes, etc.

A flanger pedal could also get you some sweet sounds that can be on the verge of chorus but a little more edgy sounding - they're ALMOST the same effect, chorus and flange - I'd say look into a Boss BF-2 (PLEASE, again, NOT a BF-3!!!) or an MXR-117R, or the Van Halen one.

For delays, the Memory Boy is nice sounding, or any of the Boss delays are nice as well. I'd say, if you can afford it, look into a Boss DD-20 or a Line 6 DL-4 - they both have multiple delay modes (digital, analog, tape, modulation, etc) and you can save presets on both - both also have light looper capabilities.
Quote by The_Bosstone
Your amp is garbage.

Done.

Straight to the point, this is how these kinda threads should go from now on

+1 though, new amp.
With $600 you could get yourself something pretty nice that you would appreciate a lot more.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

I was in almost the same boat as you a few months ago. My rig was a HSS MIM Strat, a Digitech GNX3 multi-effects pedal, and a Fender Ff212R amp. I was completely happy with my sound until........ I build a custom Tele over the summer, and as the cycle normally goes, once I got one new piece of gear, I needed more. Once I started playing the tele, i just wasn't happy with my sound anymore. A friend suggested upgrading to a tube amp so I started looking and researching. I decided on getting a used Peavey Classic 30 amp off of eBay. Best decision ever. I instantly fell in love with the amp and haven't looked back to the frontman since. I will be selling it soon. Once I had the new guitar and amp, the ME board no longer did it for me either. I haven't sold it, but I have basically retired it. I am slowly getting single pedals and am way more happy with my sound than I have been in a while. I use my amps overdrive ( i love it btw), I have a Vox V847 wah (hate it), an Electro-Harmonics Small Clone chorus ( like it), and just got a Visual Sound Route 66 overdrive/compressor (haven't played it much yet, am not in love with the overdrive yet, but I am using the compressor as a boost and loving it.

Suggestions:
Amp - Sell your amp and add that money to your bank. With that total, you can easily get a used tube amp, and according to what you get, you could probably still get one or two single pedals. ( I bought my Classic 30 used for $350 and all 3 pedals used for a total of about $150) Do research about what amp you want, the sound you want to go for is going to decide what amp to go with. UG has great threads for this.

Chorus - I like my Small Clone alot. It is simple and has a good sound. One other thing that I like that I didn't think about before I bought it is how easy the controls are to work. I can easily change any setting on the chorus while playing, all with my foot.

Compressor - Have barely played mine any, but already love what it does for my sound. I have used mine as a boost so far, and it works wonders for soloing. I suggest Route 66 overdrive/compressor or a Dyna Comp.

Hope that information helps.
Wow so many replies in just one day!
Seems many people wanting me to buy a new amp...
I really don't see anything wrong with my fm212r. I'll try some different amps in the store tomorrow and see if I change my mind. Anyways, thanks for the detailed info everyone! Well, almost...
Quote by x7shadesofblack
A flanger pedal could also get you some sweet sounds that can be on the verge of chorus but a little more edgy sounding - they're ALMOST the same effect, chorus and flange - I'd say look into a Boss BF-2 (PLEASE, again, NOT a BF-3!!!) or an MXR-117R, or the Van Halen one.

Why BF-2 over BF-3? I was thinking of getting a BF-3.
i like analog stuff compared to digital, that's me. now days you can get 10? effects in one box. if you can find one......ibanez ue400 or ue405 rack. i think 84 was the last year of this analog rack.
Well in my opinion, Stomboxes are better as multi effects make noise in your signal chain. Also multi effects dont sound to hot live. I reccomend MXR and BOSS. They both have good pedals for those types of pedals. The chorus will be the most important in the three i recomend a Boss CH-5 or MXR Stereo chorus (a little pricey So go boss i think) For your delay i reccomend the Boss DD-20 (again quite expensive) or a working class standerd boss DD-6 or 7 or MXR Analog delay but its analog so it might change your signal more than a non analog pedal. And phaser and flanger is less important i recomend phaser and the MXR Phase 90 (EVH Sounds better and looks SO COOL) but you need an equalizer