I know this has probably been asked before, but I couldn't find it.

So today I got into an arguement about music today and how most people confuse genres, like pop/punk with punk, etc. And now I'm really confused, what is real music today?

I really just want to know, what band(s) can best represent real rock and real punk?

Thanks for all answers!
Umm, how are we supposed to answer this?
Real music is whatever punches you in the gut, leaves a salty stream down your cheek, or makes you wanna dance down the middle of a street.

But, in my personal opinion: something like Paramore represents MODERN punk and I guess something like Three Days Grace, Thousand Foot Krutch, or Creed would be MODERN rock. I can't answer what REAL rock and REAL punk are because I don't know what you mean when you say that.
I think that is becoming harder to define as music becomes more diverse and bands cross genera lines and mix things up.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Led Zeppelin = Real Rock
Jonas Brothers = Fake rock
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.

RHCP

LED ZEP

HENDRIX

Hail SYD BARRETT
Quote by justinb904
I think that is becoming harder to define as music becomes more diverse and bands cross genera lines and mix things up.
Unfortunately, in the 21st century so far, blandness is the norm
Quote by 1nSingularity
Unfortunately, in the 21st century so far, blandness is the norm

LOOK HARDER, I don't listen to ANYTHING that isn't bland. Check out Mars Volta, The Fiery Furnaces, Mastodon, Animal Collective, etc. All, for the most part 21st century bands.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.