I'm looking to expand what I can do with my voice. I was wondering if there's any safe way to get the growl Dave Grohl has in his voice in... almost every Foo Fighters song. Best example I can think of is the Monkey Wrench verse, but I prefer more melodic passages, like Best of You.

Any tips or techniques? I really don't wanna strain my vocal chords doing this imporperly
Quote by sporkman7
so what wierd things can u guys do? no not like laser vision or meat vision or something, but like random stuff that usually comes in handy
i think alot of it is his natural voice and talent.

but if there is an actual technique i'd like to know as well!!
sacrificial beaver of the laney cult

~Gear~

Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
ESP LTD F-2005
Laney VH100R *with free cab*
Roland Cube 60
Cort Acoustic
abuse your vocal chords by drink heavily and smoking a lot and you might accomplish the dave grohl voice. maybe take a shot of schnapps or tequila before singing like him, these are my theories not sure if they'll work but hey they're worth a try and you'll definitely enjoy it
Quote by acid eaters
abuse your vocal chords by drink heavily and smoking a lot and you might accomplish the dave grohl voice. maybe take a shot of schnapps or tequila before singing like him, these are my theories not sure if they'll work but hey they're worth a try and you'll definitely enjoy it

Wow! I've been doing that for years. I'm gonna try singing like that now!
Quote by acid eaters

Do not do this.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
Quote by bigtimmy
i think alot of it is his natural voice and talent.

but if there is an actual technique i'd like to know as well!!

Nobody's voice is "naturally screamy". I think he spent so much time with Kurt and listening to metal that he just picked up on it.
Quote by Oh_God_Its_Back
My girlfriend does that to me!
Feels pretty good!

^In a thread about strap-ons.
I have the same trouble trying to get John Rzeznik's & Charlie Simpson's voice tone which is pretty simular to Dave Grohl cause my voice used to be quite clean but now after a while of singing Goo Goo Dolls & Fighstar stuff it's roughed up a bit so it's just natural like what other people have been saying. You have to remember Dave has been singing for god knows how long.
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

Myles Kennedy: And why's that Mark?

Mark Tremonti:....I have trust issues with the sound guy

Selling a Marshall DSL401!
I'm wondering the same thing... Grohl's vocals are sick.
He's not really growling, and he doesn't seem to be hurting his voice either, I mean, he has performed this kind of vocals for 15 years now, and still sounds as great as ever.
Fender Jaguar
Morley PVO +
TC Polytune
Fulltone Ultimate Octave
Boss DS2
Blackstar HT-40
Digitech Timebender
TC Trinity

(offboard; Whammy IV, Crybaby 535Q, Digitech RP100A)