For example, If I have:

|Dm G5| Dm | Dm | Gm 6 | Gm | Dm | A | Dm | C | F | Gm | A |

I know that all chords are built off a scale. I must find some scale that's common or that was used to build the chords in my pattern.

What confuses me is chords like Gm 6 and G5 and the C and F. I assume for the final part | C | F | Gm | A | another scale is used because they seem out of place.

Help me figure this out, its like a puzzle.
Last edited by zguitarmaster at Nov 9, 2009,
it is a puzzle,

Dissect each chord and find the notes being used,
List those notes come back here with the list

you could also try and list the notes used in Dm scale
the reason why is that seams to be the key of the chord progression
Last edited by Martindecorum at Nov 9, 2009,
look at what notes are being used in the chords, they are formed off of the scale that you should use
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic
Couldn't you just play arpeggios over the "out of place" chords and then the Dm or whatever key it is in over the rest? Sorry that I couldn't help you any further, but I dont have time as I have to go to school.
The A chord looks to me like the only one that doesn't fit into a "Diatonic" progression. Likely, it's just a dominant A with the 7th left off, making it a secondary dominant.

In short: That progression screams D minor. You might want to give it a natural seventh when those A chords swing around, but you can consider it D minor.
Quote by brownsfan456
Anything is possible with music which is sooo awesome

Quote by metal4all

I just learn the formula, apply it to a key, and use said notes on fretboard. Why? Cuz I'm not a pussy.
Quote by zguitarmaster
For example, If I have:

|Dm G5| Dm | Dm | Gm 6 | Gm | Dm | A | Dm | C | F | Gm | A |

I know that all chords are built off a scale. I must find some scale that's common or that was used to build the chords in my pattern.

What confuses me is chords like Gm 6 and G5 and the C and F. I assume for the final part | C | F | Gm | A | another scale is used because they seem out of place.

Help me figure this out, its like a puzzle.

You should know how to harmonize major/minor scales, cause if you know which chords are used, you immediately know what the key and progression is. This is just D minor with A instead of Am. That's very common in minor progressions because the A resolves stronger to the Dm than A minor. The major third in A major is C# and that's a semitone lower than the tonic. This gives a strong resolution. You can see that the A major in this progression is used before the Dm.

D minor scale harmonized:

Dm Edim F Gm Am (A) Bb C

So the song is in Dm so you can use:
D pentatonic minor
D pentatonic blues
D natural minor
D harmonic minor

D harmonic minor should fit nicely over the A major cause it has a the chord notes: A, C# and E.
Last edited by deHufter at Nov 9, 2009,