Okay, so I've played fretless before and loved the feel, and I love the sound and I'm looking to buy myself one; my budget is anywhere up to $700-$800. I mostly want some opinions on a fretless in that price range. The stores I have around here never carry any, but I played on my friends fretless, which he defretted himself, and he did a professional job. Anywho, what I'm looking for is basically a fretless that can handle rock/jazz genres, and I'm looking for a fretless without any lines whatsoever. What I'm looking for can be anything up to the price range I stated, doesn't matter if it's hundreds cheaper or at the same range, as it's going to be my first fretless, I just want something that could last awhile.. and I really don't care to look for top-end things, I mean, my price range won't bring that anyway, I just want something that I can play for quite awhile, ya know?

Anywho, to make the thread short, I want to find a fretless without lines that'll be nice enough to work with a bit in or under the price range of $800. I wouldn't mind going used, so it's a pretty decent playing field here. I do have ideas of what I want, but I don't want to post those ideas, I just want the ideas of others. I'm planning on purchasing one somewhere past the 15th as I get paid next then and it'll be a good paycheck, and I want to treat myself to a nice early Christmas present. I'm not a noob with bass in anyway, just looking for ideas as I'm a noob with fretless; so thanks in advance for any ideas.
any preference on fretboard wood? And humbuckers or single coils?
Think I might have a look around for you.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
I own something that sounds like what you're after- a Washburn AB-20 fretless.

Its acoustic-electric, 4 string and is 3" thick. It has a nice sound to it.

The only thing is I don't know that its still in production.

Still, when it was, I remember seeing a lot of them- in videos and in person. You might be able to find one used in your price range.

You might also check this site: http://www.fretlessbass.com/shopping-basses.html
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Nov 9, 2009,
The Cort B4 (or B5) might be worth looking in to
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
You might be able to find a used Warwick fretless for about $800. There was one at my local Guitar Center for exactly $800 + tax, you could definitely get one cheaper online if you found one.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
It just occurred to me that Carvin has basses starting at around $650, and that "fretless" is one of their standard options for a bass.

Their lay-away policy lets you start the ordering process with just 20% down. In addition, they're currently discounting certain options AND they have a limited time $150 rebate going on right now as well.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/customshopelectricbasses.php

And as it turns out, they even have a few fretless basses in stock.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/guitars-in-stock/group.php?cid=BS&dir=R

Personally, I don't own a Carvin, but I hope to eventually (a guitar or two). Everyone I know with Carvin gear is blissfully happy with them.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Nov 9, 2009,